Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Scandinavia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Gronlangkaal - kale in cream sauce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gronlangkaal - kale in cream sauce
    Posted: 14 May 2012 at 19:48
Very simply recipe from FotW series on Scandinavian cooking. I make a nearly identical preparation for adding to leftover rice and then top with cheese to bake for lots of greens. But thinking back, I had never done this with kale, so it was good to try that.

serves 4

1/2 lb kale
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Wash the kale carefully under cold running water. Depending on the type, you may want to discard the heavier stems (it's easy to just pull the leafy parts off, leaving the stem behind). Tear the leaves into large pieces and put the kale in a stock pot with enough cold water to cover and 1/4 tsp of the salt. Cook, tightly covered, over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the kale is very tender. Drain the kale through a sieve, pushing on it with a spoon to squeeze as much water out of it as possible. Then chop very finely.

Meanwhile, in a heavy 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the flour. Add the milk and cream all at once. Return the pan to low heat and beat vigorously with a wire whisk until the sauce comes to a boil and is smooth and thick. Add the remaining salt, pepper and chopped kale. Cook for another few minutes, just until the kale is warmed through.

Absolutely delicious!

I served it with mashed potatoes and a weird carrot gravy I made (that turned out to be very good) and a simple green salad.

Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 03:14
Good lord Marissa! don't leave us in suspense...
Tell us about the carrot gravy
Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 04:33
Perfect timing, Marissa. My kale is almost ready to harvest, and this will be one way we use it. Thanks!
Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:57
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

LOL 

It was one of those where about 5 times I said "oh crap!" and either didn't have the ingredient, did something wrong, forgot something, whatever. Not sure if I can ever repeat it! But basically it started with a mirepoix...in which I didn't have any celery so doubled the carrots. But then doubled the whole recipe...without actually doubling the rest (so there were 4 times as many carrots as needed). Then follow general gravy instructions...then strain the gravy to get the veggies out...oh crap, where was my strainer? Oh well, I just used a stick blender and viola! Oh, and cook for an hour too long.

I was making it for a "southern" mothers day brunch. Was supposed to be fried eggs with sausage gravy and biscuits. But I had no sausage! It seemed like it was a disaster from start to finish and then ended up being one of the best gravies I've ever made! :) Everyone was a little surprised at the orange color of the usually-white biscuit gravy, but every one of the 14 people that ate it raved about it!

I'll go ahead and post the recipe sometime later with some of the modifications I made!
Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Perfect timing, Marissa. My kale is almost ready to harvest, and this will be one way we use it. Thanks!

Wow, such different seasons! I bet this was the very last batch of kale I get. It was getting a bit bitter in the heat so I wanted to try something with a bit more oomph to the other flavors and this was perfect!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:05
Originally posted by Marissa Marissa wrote:

Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

LOL 

It was one of those where about 5 times I said "oh crap!" and either didn't have the ingredient, did something wrong, forgot something, whatever. Not sure if I can ever repeat it! But basically it started with a mirepoix...in which I didn't have any celery so doubled the carrots. But then doubled the whole recipe...without actually doubling the rest (so there were 4 times as many carrots as needed). Then follow general gravy instructions...then strain the gravy to get the veggies out...oh crap, where was my strainer? Oh well, I just used a stick blender and viola! Oh, and cook for an hour too long.

I was making it for a "southern" mothers day brunch. Was supposed to be fried eggs with sausage gravy and biscuits. But I had no sausage! It seemed like it was a disaster from start to finish and then ended up being one of the best gravies I've ever made! :) Everyone was a little surprised at the orange color of the usually-white biscuit gravy, but every one of the 14 people that ate it raved about it!

I'll go ahead and post the recipe sometime later with some of the modifications I made!
That's just too funny!  It seems that every thing that could go wrong did! But in the end, it still tasted great. Nice job. I look forward to trying it soon.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 06:57
Yup it looks very yummy . it looks like my carrot and habanero soup .
thanks
Ahron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic