Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > Southeast Asia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Accompanyment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accompanyment?
    Posted: 16 May 2012 at 06:01
For tonight I'm making goong pad pong gahee from the Lemon Grass Cookbook. It's a shrimp stir fry dish. Here are the ingredients:

1/2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 tbls oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp curry powder
2 tbls fish sauce
1 tbls oyster sauce
1 1/2 tbls sugar
1/4 cup each slivered green bell pepper, slivered red bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, basil leaves, and sliced onion.

My question: For those of you more familiar with Thai food, would you serve this with rice or with noodles? And, if noodles, what type?
Sponsored Links

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 07:40
This sounds good and  yummy. i will do 2 side dishes  steamed  rice and steamed vegetable .
so you don't over power  the flavour of the shrimp .
Ahron
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 07:48
rice was my instinctive choice, but i wouldn't be surprised if either would work well. ahron's suggestion of vegetables sounds great, also.

be sure to post the rest of the recipe - it looks really good, as well as easy, with ingredients that are readily available.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 08:22
I'm sorry, Ron. Figured that with a stir fry precise instructions wouldn't be necessary.

Heat wok. Add oil, shrimp and garlic. Stir fry about a minute. Add all seasoning ingredients and continue cooking. Add vegetables and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until they are tender crisp.

Note: Stir-fry cooking times depend strictly on how hot you get your wok. Most recipes assume you have a wok burner, and, therefore, understate cooking times.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 08:30
Ahron: Good suggestion. But I'm thinking with all those peppers, onions, and mushrooms, another veggie probably isn't needed. Just the stir fry and a starch.

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 09:30
If I were to order that at any of the local Thai restaurants it would probably come with steamed jasmine rice. I would more than likely order some basil fried rice instead though. But if you had some noodles, like the kind for pad thai, that might be good too, especially if you make a little extra of the stir-fry sauce and pour it over the noodles.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:32
You're probably right on, Mike. Rice certainly seems to make the most sense.

Thing is,  I'd picked up a package of maifun, and am anxious to try it out. Thus the ambivalence. Given the consensus so far, I reackon I'll just have to be patient, and go with the rice tonight.

Alas. Cry
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:33
i don't know what maifun is, but if you've got it and yo're itching to try it, now would probably be a great time!

[edit] - just looked it up, and i say go with the mai fun!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:22
Here's a helpful guide to Asian rice noodles, Ron: http://www.foodsubs.com/NoodlesRice.html

I didn't know what mai fun was, either, until I started seeing it, as one word (maifun) in the Thai cookbooks I've been consulting. I had always known these as banh pho, which is the Vietnamese name. And, as it turns out, mai fun is both Chinese and Japanese. But in Thailand they're called, variously, sen mee or sen lek.

Go figure!

You can go through the same drill with glass noodles, which are made from mung bean flour rather than rice. And, again, through the whole range of wheat-flour noodles.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:24
I had to look it up too. Shoot, rice noodles are good with Thai. Pad thai is a rice noodle, just wider than the mai fun. I'd give it a shot since you have it already.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:38
What confused me, Mike, was seeing it used in Thai cookbooks. I just assumed, therefore, it was a Thai word. Never even looked it up until Ron raised the issue.

To put it in perspective for others, I'd say these are like vermicelli, whereas the pad thai noodles are more like fettecchini in size.

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 14:05
I'm pretty sure I've had them then. When I was growing up our neighbors were Filipino and they had thin rice noodles in a lot of dishes. Like thin spaghetti. On second thought maybe they were the glass noodles.

Anyway, give it a go and let us know how you like it.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 14:14
I know I'll like it; have had them before under the banh pho name.

Pretty well decided to go with jasmine rice this time, and save the noodles for another dish.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 17:26
So, it's a done deed. This is a really tasty dish, that would work just as well with chicken, or even beef.

Went with the rice, both because it just seemed right and because, based on the ingredients, I was concerned about there being enough broth. An unwarrented worry. Between the ingredients, and the liquid from the veggies, there was more than enough.

Next time I think we'll try it with chicken, just to see how that works out, and we'll go with the noodles.

Thanks everyone for your input.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic