Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Hummus Im Bassar - Hummus with meat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hummus Im Bassar - Hummus with meat
    Posted: 21 May 2012 at 03:00
Now my husband is the kind of man who eats because it's food. He appreciates fine food but he isn't likely to mmmmmm and aaaaaaa and smile from ear to ear with a glint in his eye when tasting some something delightful (guess who does?).‡ So knowing his favourite food is a big thing. when he asks for something by name it's even bigger. He loves this popular Middle Eastern dish.

By now you are probably dying to know what that means (or not, but I will tell you anyway), it translates to "Hummus with Meat" but what it means when you order it at a restaurant in Israel is A plate full of hummus, topped with fragrant minced, or finely chopped, lamb garnished with paprika, olive oil, whole chickpeas and roasted pine nuts. Add to that some warm pita breads, pickles and salad and you have a hearty, healthy and very very filling meal.

The trick to a good Hummus im Basar is the spices. Loads of cummin and paprika, a bit of a cayene pepper kick (in hebrew we call it "hot paprika") salt and pepper. Obviously you need to find the right balance, too much cummin and it will be sour, too little and well it won't really taste right.

This is why I love my mom's Kenwood chef

I minced my own lamb but if you can find it already minced you can go for it. Much like chicken I preffer mincing my own and I can control how fine it's minced. This dish works better with courser mince.

MAKE YOUR OWN!!!

I admit, there are a lot of really good premade hummus and tahina options, we love to get those done by Salad Valley and Picante but for this dish, make your own. The only shortcut I will allow you to take (because I did) is using tinned chickpeas but trust me if you have (we discovered on sunday night that we had ½ a cup left) dried chickpeas, soak them and boil them yourself, you CAN taste the difference.

To make hummus:

Blend chickpeas with some tahini paste, water to loosen, salt and pepper to taste and garlic to your heart's desire. 

To make tahina:

You don't even need a food processor for this one, so no excuses. Mix together tahini paste with some water, a little bit at a time till the colour changes and it becomes runny, add some lemon juice and garlic to taste and then some salt to finish it off

Don't skimp, every flavour in this dish is important, use a GOOD olive oil, something peppery, both when cooking your meat (high heat, fast cooking, don't boil the lamb) and when serving the dish. The olive oil that comes out of the Arab villages in Israel is something special, cloudy and peppery but fresh at the same time. One day I will learn the secret and then bring it home to make all your lives that much richer.

Tip: to warm your pita breads without drying them up, first heat up your oven till it's nice an hot then turn it off. Pop the pita breads in till warmed through.

Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 07:23
looks really good to me ~ and i know what you mean about it being a big thing when a spouse asks for a dish by name. when the beautiful mrs. tas actually requests something, i do my best to make it the best ever!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 01:08
Let me know if you give it a try :)
Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:07
Add to Taste,

I am a big fan of traditional chickpea as well as cannelli bean Hummus, as well as Babaghanuj ...

You have an interesting take on hummus placing meat on top ... 

It is a bit desert-y here, very hot and dry, 646 metres above sea level ... and DRY as the Sahara. However, it is on the list to do´s for cooler temperatures ... we do not eat too much red meat.

I shall try it, as it sounds quite interesting and we have a lamb culture in Spain as well as close to Abruzzi and Umbria, shepherd´s turf is lamb turf predominately in those 2 provinces of eastern Italia.

Have lovely Sunday.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2012 at 11:24

good day, hila -

i'd like to try making hummus, and yours looks great! two questions:

can you give some amounts of the key ingredients, using 1 pound of dried chickpeas? i know that many times, it is a matter of "a little of this and a little of that," but for the first attempt it would be nice to have some guidelines.

i've heard it said that a person might as well buy tahini paste, would you agree? if you were to make your own, how would you do it?

thanks!

ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Daikon View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2012 at 11:35
Making tahini is trivial: Toast sesame seeds; cool; run them in a food processor, adding olive oil until the desired consistency is achieved (approximately a 5:1 seeds to oil ratio by volume.)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2012 at 11:38
got it - thanks, daikon...
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 03:19
It surely looks good to me, and lamb is on sale this week...so I can get some without having to fork over a king's ransom.Clap
Go ahead...play with your food!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic