Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

National Paella Day ~ 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Paella Day ~ 2012
    Posted: 27 May 2012 at 13:05

For whatever reason it's always been the tradition that Memorial Day weekend encompasses "National Paella Day" on this forum; usually it's on Monday but it can be any day of the holiday weekend, as schedules allow. We'll be making ours today for supper and it looks to be a good one.

I'll be following the same basic form as the paellas made in the past, which are described on various threads in this section of the forum. Along with the rice, saffron, Pimentón de La Vera and other traditional ingredients, today's paella will feature spanish chorizo, chicken, tilapia fillets, shrimp, mussels and fresh green beans.

Is anyone else in on this tradition this weekend?

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 02:41
Tas,

Interesting way to celebrate Memorial Wkend.

Actually, traditional paella is more common as a celebration dish on MARCH 19th, Father´s Day and at the LAS FALLAS, the Fires ... It is quite an event ... with quite a historical background ... March 12th thru 19th is the actual fiesta ! 

Ciao,
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 22:44
Wow! Good thing I made paella today, to celebrate Father's day.!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 05:38
AK1, Buon Giorno,

May I ask, which Paella Recipe ( chicken & sausage or shellfish ) are you preparing for Father´s Day ?

Have a wonderful Sunday,Smile
Margaux.  
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 10:56
Sausage and shellfish Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 10:59
AK1,

Sounds great ... Was it prepared outdoors or indoors in a Pallera ?

Which recipe did you follow ? Ron´s or Hoser´s or Your´s ?

Kind regards.
Margi.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 11:18
Outdoors over a wood fire. Used my own recipe.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 11:32
AK1,

Being a Metropolitan City Dweller, it sounds wonderful ...  Pleased to hear that you made ur own
Paella Al AK1 ...

Do you find it easy to purchase Spanish products in Ontario ? How far are you from Toronto ?

Have a nice evening.
Margi.  
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 20:24
Hi Margi,

I'm about 60km away from Toronto. I live just east of Hamilton. Basically I'm about halfway between Toronto & Buffalo NY.

Certain Spanish products are easy to get; Spanish saffron,Spanish paprika, Spanish olives,Spanish Olive oil, Serrano Ham, Spanish Chorrizo are no problem at my local grocery stores. I don't believe there is a big Spanish community in my area so some specific things are available but one needs to search for them. i.e Manchego cheese, Bomba rice. However there is quite a large Italian community, so many Italian products are very easy to obtain. I can pretty much get anything locally, sometimes though it takes a little effort in finding those little stores that sell the product.

p.s. How did you enjoy the Springsteen concert?

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 02:50
Ak1, Buon Giorno,

Bruce is fabulous ... An old time fave of ours, and extraordinairely talented ... True showmanship ... It is so amazing that Spanish people just adore him ... The concert was held in Santiago Bernabeú Football Stadium ... Huge crowd. He started off with his most recent material and the classics, which we love, were sung at the end ... He is very popular in Madrid. Cool dude ... It is not the 1st time we have seen him. The first was 1983, Secaucaus, NJ and then, last year in Barcelona.

Thanks for asking. How was father´s day ?

It is great that you are not too far from Toronto and can obtain, Italian as well as Spanish goods.

Question: Arborio Lombardia Rice is used for Risotto and when La Bomba Rice from Valencia for Paella is difficult to get, do you use Arborio ?  

Manchego: I am sure you could get this via NYC or Chicago online ...

I shall look up some Spanish online distrubutors if you like ... I have a dear lady friend in Montreal who is a Caterer and Professional Chef. I shall email her and ask her where she gets her Manchego and Paella Rice ...

Have nice day,
Ciao, Margi  
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 22:32
Actually, Margi, I don't have to go to Toronto. Pretty much anything I need ,I can find locally in Hamilton. There's a new place that opened up a few weeks ago called Starsky Fine Foods. They carry over 400 different cheeses. I haven't had a chance to check for the Manchego yet, but if they don't have it, there's a place even closer that could order some for me. 

I am really fortunate to live in an area that I honestly am not limited in what foods I can buy. Some I may need to drive for 15 minutes and some I can walk to in 5-10 minutes. 

As for my Paella, I typically use Arborio or Carnarolli rice, only because Bomba is quite expensive. Most stores ask about $7.00 for a pound of Bomba, where I can buy Arborio or Carnarolli for 2-3 dollars for 2 lbs. I've also used Basmati, Jasmine, and other rices as well. What I've found IMO is that the rice doesn't really matter. Simply because there are so many flavours in the Paella that basically the rice is just there.
 What I did find important is that the rice is cooked properly, regardless of variety.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 05:37
Buon Giorno, Ak1,

Valencia, is the quintessential rice growing province on the Iberian Peninsula, and thus, the Shepherds who tended the sheep, in the hill towns, had created the Paella Dish, which was originally without shellfish; it consisted of: saffron, rabbit, feathered game, vegetables and broad beans or Fava and butter beans, red bell pepper and of course Olive Oil ... However, the dish travelled  to the docks, and thus, the fishermen created the same dish, however, only using raw materials of shellfish and daily fish catch ---

La Bomba, or La Banda Rice, is actually a specialty which has its own unique paella dish, and it is quite different in Valencia. The dish consists of two separate dishes; one is the shellfish served in its own fish or shellfish stock and the rice apart when served ... One mixes the two together ... It really is not a Paella, as it does not have to be prepared in a Paellera, the Pan ...

It is more common in  Alicante, the province south of Valencia and Murcia, south of Alicante. It is a " tiny grain " and has its distinct texture and quite distinct from the Arborio ...

Well, I am pleased to hear, that you have great access to the Mediterranean delicacies and daily items we use ...

I too, like Basmati ... I eat Indian once a month --- my fave Asian Cuisine is Indian.  I have an Indian Colleague, and we go once a month for Indian ... Fabulous ... I also like Sashimi  and Some Thai Curries ... However, I am more veered toward Indian ...

Cheeses: As we say here, "I believe in the Mediterranean Triology; WINE, CHEESE & BREAD".
Spain has 100 plus  Controlled ( by Govt. ) Designation of Origins, and Italia around same ... Many are not exported --- as production can be smaller than others ...  

Ciao.
Have nice day,
Margi. 
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 11:51
Well, I finally have the pictures that I took from when I made this back during Memorial Day Weekend, which is the traditional National Paella Day here on the forum:

This paella went very well; similar to most of the paellas I do, it was a mix of chicken and seafood. I used chicken thighs, shrimp and cod fillets; I also, for the first time, used mussels, which I enjoyed very much:

Hopefully, this will become an FOTW tradition, and more members will be able to give this a go next year at the appointed time!

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic