Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

At last!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At last!
    Posted: 15 June 2012 at 19:54
Our lettuce is finished; frankly I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, given our heat. Ditto radishes.

The volunteer yellow pear tomatoes have set fruit. And we just harvested a handful of Amish snap peas. Edible podded peas are more heat tolerant, it's true. But this was an unexpected happy surprise.

Got 2/3 of the corn in. Hopefully the balance will go in this weekend, and that's it for awhile on the veggies. But then there's the medicinal herb bed to worry about. And, by the time we get that done, no doubt it will be time for follow up plantings in some of the beds.  

Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2012 at 19:11
The purselane, nasturtiums, and lettuce are doing great. We have about 4 peapods, the cucumbers are leafy, and I have 2 tomato plants now. Something happened to the dill, though.
Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 11:38
We are already in the summer planting lull. Only things that can go in now are watermelon and okra!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 22:27
That's the one thing I hate about chives. Usually I snip the flowers off before they seed and toss them in the composter.  I think I may try keeping them for salad use.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 16:23
My mom grows yellow pear tomatoes. They're great.

All I have right now is chives. LOTS of chives. They take over everything. But I love the flowers in salad dressing.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 16:18
Odd as it seems, you're actually running ahead of me, Melissa. I've still got the sweet potato squash, cucumbers, corn, and tobacco to get in the ground. After that we can turn too getting the medicinal herb garden finished.

Been harvesting lettuce for about a week, despite it going in late, and in spite of the unusual heat we've been experiencing. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't bolted.  

Discovered four volunteers from the yellow pear cherry tomatos from last year, which I've been digging and giving to other staffers at the Fort.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 14:21
FINALLY got the rest of the seeds in! Lemon cucumber, green beans, yellow beans, thyme, nasturtiums, and purslane. Looks like I have a little volunteer lemon basil plant from last year, too!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic