Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Pasta Rustica with Sausage and Three Cheeses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pasta Rustica with Sausage and Three Cheeses
    Posted: 28 May 2012 at 22:41
I adapted this recipe from one published by Williams-Sonoma.  Some changes I made were...

I baked mine in my Le Creuset 7 1/2 qt French oven as opposed to a baking dish, I substituted 1 lb. Italian sausage for the chicken sausage, and I also used homemade ricotta cheese that I made myself according the the great recipe that Margi Cintrano posted previously here on the forum.  If you have never made your own ricotta I encourage you to try Margi's recipe, it is super easy and also super good!

Here is the link to Margi's Homemade Ricotta:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/home-made-ricotta-cheese_topic1823.html

Here is the original Williams-Sonoma recipe:

Pasta Rustica with Chicken Sausage and Three Cheeses

Ingredients:

• 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 lb. chicken or turkey sausage, casings
      removed
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
  • 1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes in puree, tomatoes
      coarsely chopped and puree reserved
  • Salt, to taste
  • 1 lb. penne pasta
  • 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Directions:

In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into bite-size pieces, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in the basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes and puree and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt.

Preheat an oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a baking dish.

Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water, add the pasta, stir well and cook until barely al dente (tender but firm to the bite), 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well.

In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the sauce, the ricotta and fontina. Spread in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Bake until the cheeses are melted and the tips of the pasta are crusty, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, Chicken, by Rick Rodgers (Simon & Schuster, 2001).

Here's the goods.

I browned the sausage, along with the onions and garlic, and then added the herbs, red pepper flakes, tomatoes and tomato puree.

Cook according to the recipe and then toss with the cheeses. 

Here is my homemade ricotta.

and here is the ricotta along with the mozarella.

Add the cooked pasta and the freshly grated parmesan and it is ready for the oven.

Looks wonderful after baking...

and tastes even better...

Sponsored Links

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 04:40
Man this is a great meal .love your ricotta cheese , nothing is bater than home made cheese .
well done

Ahron
ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 04:51
Really nice recipe to try out Lamp...  and very nice result!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 08:58
very nice, andy ~ and easy, too!

i really am going to have to give the ricotta a try ~ this looks like a perfect dish to go with it, and i love the three cheeses. it's also good to see the le creuset in action, so it's a winner all around.

thanks for posting! Thumbs Up
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 11:43

Buonasera Boilmaker,

Awesome stunning dish and fanstastic Photos. Thank you so much for the beautiful compliment. I do have to say, the Ricotta is so easy to prepare ... Alot simpler than a home made bread !

Thanks Boilmaker and I am going to prepare your delicious pasta and Italian sausages to go with the Ricotta ...

Thanks for posting.
Kindest regards.
Ciao,
Margi Cintrano.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 04:05
Wow Andy!!
Right out of the ball park my manThumbs Up

Anything that looks that ooey-gooey good just has to be triedBig smile
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 08:03
Buonasera Hoser,

Firstly, take Boilmaker´s advice on this one ... This is scrumptuous ... and Real Italiano ! And so simple. It is easier to prepare than the rest of the dish ! This is gorgeous for your lovely open air back yard ...

I had learnt to make Ricotta in Italia ...

Kindest,
Margi.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 01:52
I made this dish myself the other day, and it was just as good as it looked. 

Just served it with a small green salad for dinner.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 04:14
*drooling* loving it, will definitely be making this.
Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 09:27
looks really good, dave! i'm thinking of giving this a try tonight. we're missing a few ingredients, and it's a couple of days until payday, but i think we've got some good (and interesting) substitutes that will preserve the integrity of the dish while looking at it from a slightly different angle.

i'f i make this, i'll make these substitutes, going from the original recipe:

• i'll substitute bacon (cut into pieces and cooked over medium heatuntil nearly all the fat is rendered out)
  • i'll substitute chopped fresh tomatoes and tomato sauce for the tomato puree
  • i'll substitute little shells for the penne
  • i'll substitute either sour cream or cream cheese for the ricotta

i'm thinking these substitutes might make for an interesting dish!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 09:33
Hoser,

Your tray of macaroni short pasta looks delectable ... Thanks for sharing the photo.

Have lovely day,
Ciao.
Margi.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 09:40
Tas, Buonasera,

Proscuitto di Parma would certainly be a stunning substitute for a candlelight din din for two !

The Homemade Ricotta of course and yes on fresh tomatoes with 2 tblsps of Tomato Paste for thickening ... And of course, you cannot forget Bufala di Mozzarella and Reggiano Parmesano or Pecorino Sardo not too aged, and freshly grated ! Hot oven warmed Italian Baguette type bread for dipping ... Grissini Breadsticks too ... *** posted this recipe for home made bread sticks, just make them real thick and crunchy ... nice for dipping in Evoo too ...

And a good well rounded red wine like Barolo, or Lambrusco sparkling or Prosecco white sparkling ...

Have a nice evening.
Ciao, Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 09:50
hi, margi - good to see you back! Hug

i love your descriptions and suggestions, they always set a grreat mood and paint a picture in my head of a seaside or mountain villa ~ i am really going to have to make this or another dish with the home-made ricotta, and those wonderful cheeses sound really, really good, too ~

but alas, this time, i won't be able to. we're at the stage of the pay period when we're searching the back of the pantry hoping to find some forgotten thing that might go good in an improvised dish for supper. i have one package of prosciutto left, but i am saving it to try Trucha a la Navarra the next time we go trout fishing (hopefully this weekend!)....

i really like lambrusco, and i think this dish would be perfect for it ~ i don't think we have a bottle of that at home, but i will see about something that will hopefully be a good choice.....
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 15:57
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

I made this dish myself the other day, and it was just as good as it looked. 

Just served it with a small green salad for dinner.

Dave,

Looks fantastic!  Hope you enjoyed it.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 04:01
Buon Giorno Tas,

I apologise for not sending u a PM however, I had been in editorial deadline in addition to having a new editorial freelance oppty which required a trip over to Italy for a few days. Smile

I am here ... and I am pleased if my descriptive writing provides a "villa, and candlelight scenario" ...  LOL

The Navarran Trout will work with Lambrusco Sparkling Rosé from Emilia Romagna ... or any Rosé Pinot Noir Sparkling Cava from Sant Sadurni d´Anoia, Catalonia or even Sonoma ... Also there are 100% Malbec Argentinian Rosés too that are quite lovely ... I have not had any Chilean yet ...

I really enjoy Lambrusco Sparkling Rosé as well as Prosecco, white sparkling from Veneto ...

This Ricotta is lovely, and it is so simple, and not laborious !  Let me know how it goes ... and cheaper than to buy Italian Ricotta from an Italian Deli ... and you are In Montana, not NYC or SAN FRAN ...

Kind regards.
Margi.  

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 04:06
Hoser,

I shall prepare a Penne Rigate tonight for tomorrow´s lunch ... Your photo has my palate !

Thanks for posting.

Sorry I do apologise for not sending a PM, however, I was out of town last week and very busy in an editorial deadline with magazine here in Madrid. I find myself writing 16 to 17 hrs a day ... I have my Gym, walks, Gent, gals and friends too ... 

Margaux.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic