Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > Southeast Asia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Glass Noodle Salad with Chicken and Shrimp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Noodle Salad with Chicken and Shrimp
    Posted: 01 June 2012 at 05:12

Here’s another great dish from Linda Stephen’s Complete Book of Thai Cooking.

For my taste it could use a bit more hot chili sauce. But for Friend Wife---who doesn’t do heat---it was right on the button:

Glass Noodle Salad with Chicken and Shrimp

¾ cup dried wood fungus strips

4 oz dried bean thread (cellophane) noodles

2 tbls vegetable oil

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tbls chopped fresh gingerroot

8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in small pieces

4 oz peeled and deveined shrimp, finely chopped

1 tbls soy sauce

2 tsp sesame oil

¼ cup lime juice

2 tbls fish sauce

1 tbls brown sugar

1 tsp hot chili sauce

½ cup thinly sliced celery

½ red onion, thinly sliced

2 green onions, chopped

2 tbls chopped roasted peanuts

Fresh cilantro sprigs

Fresh red chili strips

1. In a bowl, cover fungus strips with warm water and let soften for 20 minutes. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, cover noodles with warm water and let stand for 5 minutes, or until softened. Drain, then cook noodles in a large amount of boiling wqater for 1 minutes. Drain, rinse well with cold water, cut into 6-inch lengths and place in a large bowl (if noodles dry out, rise again with cold water and drain well before using).

3. Heat a wok over medium0high heat and add vegetable oil. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.

4. Add chicken, shrimp, soy sauce and sesame oil and cook for 2 minutes, or until just cooked. Stir in softened fungus strips. Remove from heat, cool for 15 minutes and add to softened noodles.

5. Meanwhile in a small bowl, stir together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and chili sauce. Add to noodles with bell pepper, celery, red onion and green onions. Toss to combine ingredients, trying not to break noodles.

6. Garnish with peanuts, cilantro, and chilies.

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 06:54
I don't know how I missed this, Brook. I have all the stuff to make this so I want to give it a go.

I think I know what needs to be done but I have a question. In step 4 you state, "Remove from heat, cook 15 minutes..." This confuses me somewhat, can you elaborate?
Hungry
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 09:37
Sorry, Rod. That should read "cool" rather than "cook."

I'll go fix it right now.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 09:42
BTW, it doesn't have to be glass noodles. This salad works with just about any Asian noodle; raman, soba, rice. I've since made it with sweet potato noodles (a Thai specialty) and found it even better that way.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to find that vermicelli or other thin spagetti would also work.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 10:27

Brook,

Glass noodles ... sounds lovely ... Are your glass noodles wheat or rice ? I see in the Asian section of the interntl. market, El Corte Inglés, rice cellophane noodes and they come in a variety of shapes; from a thick like fettuccini style to a thin style ... Which do you recommend ?

Shall put in on our wkend list ... Sounds lovely.

Thanks in advance,
Margaux.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 13:39
Neither of the above, Margi. They are bean thread noodles.

Salads like this usually use thin noodles. But there's no rule not to go thicker. Personally, I would avoid the very wide ones. But anything up to, say raman or fettuccini size should be ok.

If you can find them, sweet potato noodles are my favorite for this dish.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 15:36
Brook,

We have an underground Asian Market ( in subway for years ) which hosts, Korean, Chinese and Indian Markets ... I shall go browse around for bean / legume noodles cellophane noodles ... and see if I can find some Sweet Potato varieties too ...

Its a lovely recipe ...

Thanks for your help;
Margaux.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 09:44
I made this and it's good. Hmmm... Thai food. That perfect balance of sweet, savory, sour and heat. All with a bright herb component. It always makes me feel satisfied but never over stuffed. I had to make a few small adjustments to get the balance I was after and I handled the ingredients a little differently, but this is a good dish and very representative of what is good about Thai food.

To be more specific, I used less lime juice. I like to sneak up on the amount of acid I use in things, always adding a little and working up to where I like it. In this case I used less. I did add a little more sweetness, but just a tiny bit. I made it hotter too and added enough cilantro to make it more than just a garnish. As far as ingredient handling goes, I always just soak bean threads in a big bowl of boiled water till they got the "a little less than done" going on, leaving them still able to soak up additional flavors and finish cooking without going mushy. I also rinse the dried fungus well to remove any dirt and whatnot then boil in a small quantity of water for 10 or 15 minutes. The cooking water goes in the boiled water that the bean threads soak in.

Good food! Thanks Brook.
Hungry
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 09:57
This dish sounds great, and I can only imagine how nice it would look ~ you guys need cameras!Cry
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 10:10
I do. I really do. And it bugs me no end that I can't put up a few pictures. I know that's what you want this place to be, and I ain't gettin' it done. I can't help be feel I've misplaced the stupid thing. But where do I draw the line? When do I give up on it, and spend money that's hard enough to come by to buy another? If I found the camera later I would be many pissed.
Hungry
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 10:12
I've misplaced mine before, and it took me a while to find it. I remember thinking at the time that I need to install a beeper or homing device on it! Shocked

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 10:14
Oh yeah, I've often wished those many small things I've misplaced would just make some small noise. Anything to let me know where they are. Never happens...
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 10:06

Brook,

Here is a photo I had snapped of the dish, while we were sitting down for lunch ...

I had finally figured out how to sub a few of your ingredients that I am allergic to ( soy ) or never employ ( any oil except Evoo ).

OUR GLASS NOODLES WITH SHRIMP & CHICKEN BREAST ...

Have nice Sunday. Thanks for the recipe.
Margaux.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic