Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Greece
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

sun-dried tomatoes (greek method)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sun-dried tomatoes (greek method)
    Posted: 18 February 2010 at 17:28
Sun dried tomatoes (Liastes domates)

INGREDIENTS
  • Medium size tomatoes, as much as you want to dry
  • Olive oil for preserving them
  • Salt

METHOD
Rinse the tomatoes and cut them in thin slices. Slice them as thin as possible, leaving each slice approximately 5 - 10 mm wide. Take a thin and wide baking pan and baste it with oil. Then place the tomato slices into the baking pan, salt them and leave the pan under the sun for a whole day. At the end of the day you will notice that the juice of the tomato slices has evaporated. Collect the tomato slices and place them in jars. Do not overstuff the jars. Then add olive oil into the jar, as much as it needs to cover the tomatoes. Preserve the jars in the fridge.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 07:29
Oh man that sounds so easy and great~ definitely going to give it a try this summer! Mrs Rivet and I discussed our tomato plans/setup for this year and I am looking forward to putting them in.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 07:45
for cherry tomatoes, i cut a small X in the bottom and put them in the dehydrator. a person could also simply cut them in half. very, very good.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 05:47
How long do you dehydrate the cherry toms Ron? 
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 08:40
it depends, dave - i do a lot of checking throughout the process. you do not want crispy-dried tomatoes, but you do not want any moisture coming out when you squeeze one between your fingers either.

the best answer i can give is "until they are leathery, yet chewy." experience is the only real teacher!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 16:10
gotcha covered Ron....that's the way I do my jerky. I'll just start checking them after an hour, and see how it goes.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Souvlaki View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Souvlaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 05:54
Another way to make dried tomatoes- liastes domates- is in the oven. 

You will need 6-7 plum tomatoes for one jar.

Wash the tomatoes, put them in a boiling water for a minute and then in a bowl with water and ice cubes. Pill the skin of the tomatoes. Slice them.

Put a baking paper on the oven tray  and place the tomato slices....sprinkle some salt, dried oregano, thyme, sugar and rosemary. 

Dry them in a oven with a fan, for 3-4 hours on 100 degrees Celsius....

When u see that the juices have evaporated, turn off the oven and leave the tomatoes to get cold. 
Place them in a sterilised jar, do not push or press the tomatoes and do not over stuff. 
Add olive oil, taking care the tomatoes are covered.

Keep the jar in the refrigerator, up to 6 months.

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 07:54
sounds marvelous and thanks so
much for posting    shall definitely enjoy souvlaki
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 08:57
While I'm not a tomato fan, I can stand sun-dried tomatoes surprisingly. Maybe I'll give this a try sometime.  
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 09:01

lol - i AM a tomato fan, and dried tomatoes are an even bigger favourite! Hug

thank you for posting this method, souvlaki. my tomato garden was rather sparse this year, but i will save some tomatoes and try this ~

ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Souvlaki View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Souvlaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 09:19
Not a problem, I use this method for years now, just make sure that the slices are thin and completely dry, and when you serve some slices pleaase do check if the rest of the slices in the jar are covered with oil, if not add some. 

i usually make 2 jars, and add several pieces to my pizza.....or i just place a piece on a plate, and enjoy the liasti domata with a glass of ouzo or tsipouro :) 

I also forgot to type that 6-7 tomatoes are the right amount, if you place more on the baking pan, please dry them longer then 3 hours...and do not change the tepmerature it has to be 100 degrees Celsious, 

if your oven has no fan you will have to check when slices are dry so you turn them upside down. 

Enjoy!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 05:28

Tas and Souvlaki,

SUN DRIED TOMATOES are fabulous with:

1) a lovely Greek snack;  dressed on top of a  feta cheese spread canapĂ©
and kalamata olives marinated in orange zest and fresh orange juice ...

2) A wonderful alternative are Dried Tomato Spoon Sweets ... served with Greek style Yogurt.

3) On the Italian side; with a short pasta of choice ( penne rigate or rigatoni for example), sausages or pancetta, and lots of Reggiano Parmesano sprinkled on top and Evoo with lots of Garlic or Shallot or Onion or Leek & / or Fennel or Broccoli or Cavolo = Cabbage  ... SIMPLE AND DELICIOUS ...

4) of course, as garnish aboard a salad, always nice too with home made Grissini bread sticks or toasted Pita ...

Kindest. Marge.  

Souvlaki View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Souvlaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 06:41
Big smile
I vote for the Italian pasta alternative Margi, I love pasta especially when it is made by me, well when I have time to prepare it.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 06:50

Buona Sera Souvlaki,

Actually, a sun dried pasta with sausage, garlic, Evoo, onion or shallots and of course Reggiano Parmesano is a fave of mine too. I eat pasta quite often for lunch ...

Thanks for your contribution and feedback.
Ciao, Marge. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic