Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Limoncello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limoncello
    Posted: 17 June 2012 at 12:46
I have a small test batch going.  The zest of six large lemons are macerating nicely in 12 ounces of 190 proof grain alcohol.  Not having tasted the real homemade stuff in Italy I am wondering if it is more sweet like lemonade or more tart?  I have reviewed a lot of recipes and also done a bit of reading and it seems the consensus is that many recipes call for too much sugar.

Margi,

I am hoping that perhaps you have some experience with this and may weigh in.

Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 12:56

Boilmaker,

There are several varieties, the sweet, the semi sweet, the dry and the extra dry ...

NAPOLI, CAMPAGNIA is the lemon growing region as well as Sicilia ... And yes, I am right, SORRENTO, NAPLES is the designation of origin ...

Let me do a bit of research in my Italian books and we shall catch up tomorrow.

Check out the history of the beverage and some details in English in the meantime: www.tasteofsorrento.com

It looks very enticing ... I can see this on Ice and a nice Oceanview !  The west coast of Italia is renowned for its lemons ...

Have nice Sunday,
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 13:05
Thanks!  I appreciate the help.

After Ahron's cherry liqueor turned out so wonderfully I decided to try this and am hoping to develop a nice version and then post a tutorial on here.  It is amazing how the lemon zest has turned almost snow white after several days of macerating in the alcohol and the alcohol has turned a deep yellow.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 13:08
Boilmaker,

Fabulous ... Here are some websites in English that may assist you in your endeavors:

You have asked me if it is sweet; I would say it is Semi Sweet - yet, tart ... Sort of like a lemon pie or key lime pie; that slight acidy - citrus taste yet semi sweet ... It is served on Ice and is normally drunk as a digestive after a meal ... It is an arguardiente orujo = pure alcohol base ... with Lemon added ...

Keep me posted, and I would enjoy being the taste tester ...

Kind regards.
Margi.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 13:09
Thanks!

I'll check out all of the links and get back to you.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 13:14

www.uktv.co.uk ( Chef James Martin Making Lemoncillo )

Boilmaker.

Please note my previous message where I added in the tasting profile ... like a key lime or lemon pie, acidy, citrus, yet semi sweet  and is normally drunk as Digestive, after meals ... It is an arguardiente and orujo = pure alcholo with lemon ...

Keep me posted, thanks,
Very interesting and I am sure that u shall be able to accomplish the goals after you have seen the webs. I shall look further on Naples and Sorrento ---

Ciao.
Margi.
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 13:21
Is 3.5 cups of  sugar,  to 750 Ml.  pure alcohol and the zest of 17 lemons --- in ball park ?  This is from questlimoncello.com ?

Margi.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 13:23
That tasting profile is what I am after.  Looking at the limoncello quest site the recipe on there calls for 3.5 cups of sugar to 5 cups of water for the syrup which I believe is the proportion I will use (scaled down to my small test batch).  Most of the other recipes I have seen call for 1 to 1 sugar and water which I fear will be too sweet.

We posted at the same time so I am editing this.  Yes, I think that is what I will use scaled back to my six lemons and 12 oz of alcohol.

Thanks for the helpful info.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 13:30
Interestingly, Danny DeVito's limoncello gets great reviews.  Makes sense, I guess, since he is Italian.  I wonder if it is a family recipe?  We have a huge wine and liquor store near us.  I'm going to stop in and see if they carry it and may pick up a bottle is the cost is not prohibitive.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 13:31
My Italian Book:

The town and D.O. is Minori, Amalfi Coast, Naples ... They have been making Limoncello since 700s ...
I agree, that it should not be too sweet.

Semi sweet like a Lemon Pie / Key Lime Pie, Citrusy and aromatic and A Kick from the Alcohol plus the Acidy  of the lemon on palate ... and very fragrant.  

There is no recipe however, just a foto of the bottles and the fruit ...

Great, glad to be of some help ...

Until tomorrow.
Kindest. Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 02:21
Boilmaker, BUON GIORNO,

Danny De Vito ! Interesting ... Cool ... Many actors have invested in wineries over the years, for example: Antonio Banderas ... Others own Hotels as well ... and Restaurants ...

I would definitely go over to a couple of good wine & liquor shops in your region and take a look at the bottles too ( write down the ingredients ) ... and speak with the owners and see if they have Wine or Liquor Tastings ( gratis ) ! They usually hold tastings weekly or monthly and get on their mailing list.

Keep me posted and good luck with the project.
Margaux. Ciao.   
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:46
love limonchello  but i love the semi sweet one  when our lemon tree is full we do limonchello .
we did also orengechello from Orange's .we taste it the first time in Bologna .
so i put sugar in my limonechello .i strain the zest and keep the liquor in the Freezer.
great post .
now is time for moonshine Wink
Ahron
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:54
African Meat,

I am sure that Boil Maker shall be very pleased to hear all about your results, and suggestions.

Ciao, Have a lovely Monday;
Madrid playing Croatia for European Cup this evening;
Kind regards always,
Margi.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 11:11
andy, this looks incredibly good, and is definitely something i would want to try sometime. ahron's orange one sounds very good too. i am thinking maybe a "citruscello" of lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit - it wouldn't be italian anymore, but it might really be refreshing ~

looking forward to the tutorial!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 05:50
I make a fair bit of this sort of thing. You might have luck varying the syrup from simple syrup. I tend to use a bit of food grade glycerine and glucose in there to add to the mouthfeel. A touch of honey could achieve you a similar thing in a more "natural" way I guess, but then it will taste.... honeyed.

When you dilute it with the syrup, it should louche (go cloudy) as the oils fall out of solution. If it doesn't, you haven't used enough lemon zest / macerated long enough.

Make sure you don't get any of the white pith in, it has a really bitter note and you can spot it a mile off.

I have a load of blood orange stuff I need to sweeten up actually. Smells.... Interesting. Of all the different citrus fruits I've tried, lemonade lemons have given the best results by a long shot, even compared with sorrento lemons, which I guess would be the traditional option. Yen Ben lemons are also pretty good.

Personally, I macerate with neutral spirits @70% ABV, then I don't need too much syrup to get it down to levels where I'm happy serving it to people. I tend to leave it around 40-45%ABV.

Cheers Beer

kai time!
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 05:51
PS - weapon of choice for the lemons - Microplane.
kai time!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 08:25
Buonasera, Boil Maker,

Firstly, I had noticed today when I had gone to pick up some white sparkling wine, from the Prosecco Controlled Designation of Origin, or Appellation; as Prosecco is a DOC, not a brand; I had came across some LEMON LIQUORS both from Italia and Spain !

The information I obtained shall be of interest:

1) the general method is a clear brandy distilled from fermented fruit juice of choice in Copper Vats.

2) AGUARDIENTE in Spanish is ACQUAVITE in Italian; thus, this fermented or marinated Lemon is distilled in Copper Vats ...

The general ingredients are:  acquavite, Lemons and Pure Alcohol distilled

This is an interesting fact and perhaps, do you have a Distillery of Liquors near by your town ?

Panizo is the Spanish Lemon Liquor produced in Camarzama, Zamora, Castilla León in northwest Spain ...

I shall now do a search in Italian and see what I can translate for you.

Also, Thanks to African Meat, Tas and the other Gents who have provided info and their feedback. I hope one day to make some Liquors; The Vet and I had made some ROSE Acquavite in our home in Puglia over Easter ... Of course, it is a rough cordial --- and so in 3 weeks, we shall see our results of the Rose Liquor ...

Ciao, Have nice Wed.
Margi.

Kind regards.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 08:41
>>>The Vet and I had made some ROSE Acquavite in our home in Puglia over Easter ... Of course, it is a rough cordial --- and so in 3 weeks, we shall see our results of the Rose Liquor ...<<<

now this really sounds interesting, margi - i'll be looking forward to seeing how this turns out. hopefully you can get a picture or three and post as well! Clap

>>>I make a fair bit of this sort of thing.<<<

kiwi - i was hoping we'd get the benefit of your wisdom on this; it seemed to be right up your alley. thanks for weighing in! Beer
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 09:20
Boil Maker, Tas, African Meat and Kiwi, Buonasera,

I have found a recipe for Limoncello and here it is:

750 Ml. Grain Alcohol or Ever Clear
3 cups sugar
2 pounds fresh lemons of choice
2 1/2 cups water room temperature or bottled may be better

Here is the 2nd one that was listed:

5 bottles grain alcohol  
15 cups sugar
12 and a Half cups room temperature water or bottled
10 lbs. Lemons of choice

*** PLEASE NOTE: BOTTLE AND STORE 1 WEEK IN REFRIG ...

This was one of many recipes ...

What do u think ?

Ciao.
Margi.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 09:23
Tas,

MY ROSE LIQUOR ... Now this is a family secret ... ( I shall post it for  You ... Be Patient ... )

Here is a question for you:  *** on La Sopa Trucha de León

1.  Do you prefer to work with a Trout Stock ( 2 heads, bones and parts )  ( river fishermen
and shepherds recipe )

or:

2.  Would u prefer to work with your own Chicken Stock ? ( updated one )

Let me know, if u prefer the original style in BEEF COUNTRY ... León is CATTLE ... and RIVERS ... MOUNTAINS ... and Charcuterie ...

Forbes Magazine Award 2011:  the best beef in world is from León ... Ponteferrada ...
according to Forbes ...

Ciao, Margi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic