Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Limoncello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 09:33
Hi, Margi -

I'll be waitng to see the rose liqueur - I am guessing it has a Turkish note to it?

Regarding La Sopa Trucha de León,  in a perfect world, I would make trout stock for the shepherd's recipe, as it appears to be the more traditional and rustic recipe, so I will request that one! Tongue
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 09:49
Tas, Buonsera,

Trout Stock ... You shall not be disappointed with this recipe ...

Rose Licor: Do Please note; it is Spanish however, Persian and Moorish in root, so yes, you are in the right ball park !

I am trying to put your recipe in English ...

Hasta luego or mañana ...
Margi.  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 12:01
Gents, Buonasera,

Just found a very interesting website for Underground Liquor Making:

*** They have a very good pictorial on Almond Liquor Making which I thought would work for the Macademia Nut Liquor for AK1 ...

Let me know what u think.

Have nice evening.
Margi.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 20:43
I just strained off my alcohol and blended it with a simple syrup made of 1 3/4 cups of sugar and 2 1/2 cups water.  It did "louche" as Kiwi mentioned in his post so it appears I have leached a sufficient amount of the oils from the zest.  I ended up adding 4 oz of additional filtered water to bring the alcohol content down to between 31 and 32% and this all resulted in 36 oz of liqueur.  I put it up in Mason jars to mellow for a couple of months before I bottle it but at first taste it tastes just like a lemon drop, tart and not too sweet.  Even the missus liked it and she doesn't like strongly alcoholic drinks as a rule but liked this.       
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2012 at 09:18
andy, it sounds like it went perfectly to me! i'll be looking forward to the tutorial and hopefully will be able to give it a try. i'm thinking that getting it done over the winter will provide some nice summer sipping!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2012 at 11:21
Boil Maker,

Sounds like I said it would ... A Lemon Drop or Lemon Pie, fragrant, however, not overly sweet. A tart yet lemon citric pleasant taste ...

I am pleased it has turned out for you.

Have a lovely summer.
Margi. Ciao.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2012 at 18:52
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Gents, Buonasera,

Just found a very interesting website for Underground Liquor Making:

*** They have a very good pictorial on Almond Liquor Making which I thought would work for the Macademia Nut Liquor for AK1 ...

Let me know what u think.

Have nice evening.
Margi.
I missed this when you first posted.

Thanks Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 09:37
Boilmaker,

How is the liquor making going ? Any new varieties on the agenda for October 12th or Thanksgiving or Christmas yet ?

Hope you have had a wonderful birthday,
Marge.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 22:39
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Boilmaker,

How is the liquor making going ? Any new varieties on the agenda for October 12th or Thanksgiving or Christmas yet ?

Hope you have had a wonderful birthday,
Marge.

Thanks.  Great birthday, too many candles. 
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2016 at 12:19
I made a batch of this over the last few months. Started about middle of November and just filtered and added simple syrup last night.

2 - 750 mL bottles of 190 proof grain alcohol
Zest of 20 organic lemons
enough simple syrup to bring it down to 60 proof/30% alcohol

Now comes the hard part of letting it mellow for a while without getting into it!

Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2016 at 15:33
If someone lived where the trees grow, so far as I know that location would be South Texas, the sour orange that provides the root stock for citrus trees grown in an alkaline soil, it would make an interesting source for the zest and juice.
I feel it makes a superior non alcoholic drink and a very good glaze for pound style cakes so it may do well for this.
Trifoliate orange grows in the same general area, I have one here, but the flavor is rather harsh, only the juice is used, not the zest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic