Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > Eastern Canada
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

French Onion Steak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: French Onion Steak
    Posted: 16 August 2012 at 11:50
As it happens, I planned on making steak for dinner tonight. My Son & I were talking about Julia's recipe for French Onion Soup.  My son suggested doing something similar but using the steak.

So basically, I'm going to cook the steak to rare, place it on a slice of good bread, cover it with some cheese and carmelized onions and then stick it under the broiler until the cheese melts. Upon serving, I'll use some beef stock reduced with perhaps some red wine & other spices & herbs, making a jus that I can drizzle on the steak.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:01
Darko, this sounds amazing and, I am sure, it will be delicious.

Find your camera, and get some pictures. Keep some details in your mind for a pictorial, because I have a stong feeling that this one is going to be quite popular!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:16
Here's a teaser. Steaks seasoning & onions sauteing

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:18
Clap
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 13:13
Here's another. The stock & wine (Shiraz by the waySmile) with taragon, parsley, thyme, peppercorns & garlic reducing away.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 13:16
looking pretty good ~ !
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 19:29
All done;
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 20:14
Well, it sure LOOKS delicious - how did it taste?

Congratulations on some real creativity there, Darko!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 20:29
Well, after eating, the general consensus was that the idea is good, but the execution is flawed,

It was agreed overall that the bread shouldn't be on the bottom, it gets too soggy. Really not any different from how it would be in soup, I didn't mind it but the kids & wife didn't like it in this dish.

Perhaps I'll try it next time with the steak on the bottom, then bread with the onions & cheese on top.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 20:36
OOp's. I guess I should explain better. What you're seeing in the picture is a toasted slice of bread which is topped by a striploin steak. On top of the steak is a layer of carmelized onion which is then topped by a sprinkling of Parmigiano Reggiano and Gruyere cheese.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2012 at 20:46
it does sound good for sure, darko - i think it would definitely be worth a try with the toast on top, or perhaps with the bread reduced to bread crumbs toasted in a skillet in olive oil with a few herbs and seasonings that would be found in french onion soup, then used as a topping over-all; sort of like spanish migas? that's just a guess, but it could be worth trying....
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 02:58
I could wipe out a plate of that right now for breakfast! Thumbs Up
Go ahead...play with your food!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 09:22
Man, that's making me drool! Nice job!
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2012 at 06:04
AK1,

En hora buena which signifies Congratulations. This is a great idea and thanks alot for posting the recipe and lovely pictorial.

Shall definitely give this a try later this month or in October, once we are re-settled after that long August vacation.

Kind regards.
Marge.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic