Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > India
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Primal Tikka Masala

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primal Tikka Masala
    Posted: 23 August 2012 at 03:53
After about 10 minutes deliberating where to post this I have settled on here and on opening a new topic. This is a Primal version so no dairy, no grains.

Add to Taste - Primal Tikka Masala

The west is a funny place. We take foods from all over the world, change them, tweak them, call them something new and then credit the country the orginal, very different, dish came from. Like, “inside out rolls” and “chop suey” and this vibrant dish, Chicken Tikka Masala.

Not that I am complaining, all the above and other dishes like them are firm favourites of mine and the only “food origin” argument I ever let myself get into is whether hummus is originally Middle Eastern or Greek (Hummus is the Arabic word for chick pea so decide for yourself).

What I really love about this particular dish is how easy it is for me to fit it into my current eating habits. Thanks to a recipe found here and with a little tweaking, the whole family loved the dish. Myself and mysister had it with garlicy sweet potato mash, while the rest of the family had it with rice. Even my 10 month old enjoyed it (He just had the tikka part without the masala sauce).

Add to Taste - Garlic sweet potato mash

Primal Tikka Masala

For the tikka

6-8 boneless and trimmed chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces (As this method is gentle on the protien you can substitute with fish)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch fresh corriander, finely chopped
Juice of half a lemon
1 tin coconut milk
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 thumb size ginger grated
Small pinch cayenne pepper
Generous pinch of salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

Pre-heat oven to 200C
Mix everything together in your baking dish, cover and bake for 1 hour.

For the masala

2 tbs olive oil
2 onions, sliced thinly
65g tomato paste
1 tin peeled tomatoes in their juice
3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 tin water (use the tomato tin)
Juice of half a lemon
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder (depends how hot you like it)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons garam masala (an Indian spice blend)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 can coconut milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

In the olive oil fry some the onions (use a bit of water to cook the onions a little before they fry)
Add the spices  and fry them a little.
Add the tomato paste and cook it out
Add the tinned tomatoes, the water and the lemon juice.
Cook for about a minute and add the coconut milk.
Simmer for 20 minutes.
Then scoop out the chicken pieces and a bit of the cooking juices and add them to the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve with your choice of starch, or just so in a bowl.

Add to Taste - Empty Bowls 
Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2012 at 07:27
looks incredible to me, hila - thanks for posting!

the food in this region really ignites my interest and curiosity, but unfortunately it seems that the ingredients are always out of my reach. kiwi used to post many really great looking things, but in my remote area all i could do with most of them was watch and wish. looking at your ingredients list, i might be able to try this one.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2012 at 10:10
Lovely dish Add to Taste ...
Indian is my favorite  Southeastern Asian mainland cuisine. Such fabulous aromas, spices, condiments and thanks so much for posting.

Perfect dish for preparing on our return to Madrid ...

Margi. Thumbs Up
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 01:00
If there are any ingredients that you are struggling with let me know and I can help you with an alternative :)
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 01:01
Excellent Margi, let me know how it turns out :)
priya456 View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priya456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 02:19
Indian and Thai cuisine are typically VERY primal/paleo. Indian dishes feature a lot of heavy cream-based sauces, while Thai favors coconut milk. Obviously if you're strict paleo, you'll be drawn more towards the Thai option, but I don't shy away from the primal way of heavy cream. Now, I don't eat it every day - not even close. But it makes its way into my Starbucks order and, YES I whole heartedly enjoy it when I'm craving Indian. 
ghost
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 12:04

Definitely a must re-read ..

I am a grand fan of  Thai and  Indian cuisines .. 

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic