Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Meats, Fish and Eggs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Oxtail recipes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oxtail recipes?
    Posted: 29 August 2012 at 14:53
I was digging around in the chest freezer the other day and came across a package of oxtail from the butcher. I think I could get the wife to eat it if I were to make some kind of stew or soup and remove the meat from the bones after cooking and before she sees it.

I saw Margi's recipe for Rabos de Buey which seems like a good choice, and this recipe for Malay Oxtail Soup which also sounds delicious, but I'm wondering if anyone else has suggestions for oxtail.

thanks!

Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 15:54
mike - wondering if you have made any decisions yet ~ i'm about to post my rabos de toro, so if you give me two or three days, you can see if first-hand. or, if you go with the malay (or any other) dish, be sure to make it into a pictorial! Thumbs Up

a couple of pieces of advice, in order to hopefully make them more "palatable" to mrs. pitrow:

a) the larger pieces have a pretty thick layer of fat around the outside - you may want to trim the fat down to about 1/4-inch, same as a pork shoulder or brisket, so as to avoind the thick, spongy layer of fat, which mrs. tas found off-putting.

b) mrs. tas was horrified by the "little" tailbones, which had no meat on them by the time the braising was done. she said they looks like finger or toe bones! Shocked on the other hand, they are definitely needed in order to add their properites to the stock/gravy, and make it as wonderfully rich and flavourful as it is. be sure to use them in the preparation, but you might want to make sure none of the little meatless bones find thier way onto the plate and use the large, meatier pieces only for serving.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 02:26
Good Morning Pitrow, Buon Giorno,

I have just posted an Andalusian Extremaduran ( southern Spain ) Oxtail Stew, which I believe shall also be wonderful for you & Mrs. Pitrow. It is a more delicate and succulent stew than Beef Stew. Just a melt in your mouth delicacy.

It is quite a lovely version of the ancient Taurine Specialty. Please see: Cocina Taurina: Estofado de Toro in the Iberian Section.

I too, have my Butcher Javier, remove the  high fat content around the tails. 

Living in Spain & Italy, and overseas for as long as I have; sort of changes your palate and tastes.

This is a delicious specialty with quite a Price Tag during the Corridas ( bull fighting spectaculars: held throughout Spain except for the 4 Catalonian Provinces where it is banned; May through July ) .

SEE PHOTO: TAURINA RECIPE OXTAIL with mushrooms.

Thanks for considering my 2 recipes.

Kind regards.
Marge.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 06:11
Pitrow and Tas,

I have 1 more Oxtail Stew recipe called: LA COCINA CORDÓBESA - RABO DE TORO

This recipe is from The Cordóba Government - Collection Gastronomic by Rodrigo Mestre; Cordóba, Andalusia :

Serves 8:

3 kilos oxtail
2 kilos ripe and aged a bit onions minced finely
6 ripe juicy tomatoes de-seeded & peeled
8 cloves garlic minced
1 kilo of sweet peas
Saffron ( 15 threads steeping in Hot water 115 farenheit degrees for 20 mins. )
salt
1/4 Litre Montilla or Moriles Sweet red wine or similar
Black pepper to taste
1 kilo carrots peeled and diced finely
potatoes - golden sautéed and served with the sauce of the dish

Kind regards.
M.C.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 09:26
I truly love Oxtail ... it is truly lovely. Not as heavy as one may think. It is actually very delicate ... as the meat is so tender and the sauce is the KEY.

The vasrious recipes all are delicious, just a bit different due to regional provincial nuances.

Shall post separately.
Marge.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 10:53
mike - finally finished the pictorial on the san fermin-style oxtails ~

very good stuff, with some interesting information and history, i hope ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 11:48
good news in the oxtail department: as you know montana is prime cattle country, and my area sits right in the middle of some of the best of it. consequently, many of my friends, acquaintences and neighbours raise cattle - even my parents have a dozen or so - some of the best beef in the world just a stone's throw or two from me.

anyway, i got to talking with a gal i went to school with - she had put the word out that they were slaughtering a steer, and i asked what she did with the oxtails. i explained that i like them for some "foreign" and ethnic dishes, due to their wonderful and unique properties when slow-braised; however, the dang things were so expensive at wal-mart (the only source for them - and not even montana beef!) that i'd probably never be able to try them again. she replied that usually they don't do anything with them, treating it like a "throw-away" cut - and that when they slaughter this steer i could have it for NOTHING.

well! how could i turn THAT down?

so now, i have a potential source for many more - if i can transfer this to lamb necks (working on that), i'll be in 7th heaven, where i can try all sorts of things that were prefviously unavailable to me ~

not bad!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 13:18

this is phenomenal ...Tas       

tell her u want all ... what is for stock
      including ( ha ha) las criadillas ! Wink       

prepare in sauce minced & then place in a sieve  ! LOL

The historical significance of this, is that its works as an aphrodisiac ! NOT that you need it, however, it is why the Matadors, and fans of the corridas & Restaurateurs utilise this part.

Kindest, 
Marge
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 13:36
Free oxtails!!!!! I'd take that offer. Hope it all works out for you.Thumbs Up
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 14:00
Nice score Ron! 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 15:18
Hmmmmmmm. I'm fully prepared to hate you for that!

Except that I know unprocessed ox tails aren't good for you. What you need to do is package them up in a cooler and send them to me for proper disposal. Approve
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 17:26
Laugh all you want, but Brook is right. You really ought to send these oxtails to the rest of us. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2013 at 13:33

Found another great source here where LOCALLY grown and slaughtered oxtails are only 3$ APIECE!!!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2013 at 16:04
That just ain't right, Ron!

Here, when even available, they're pushing the six dollar mark. That's per pound, not per tail. I mean, really. Six bucks for bones!

I remember when they were a cheap cut. Like so many of the tough cuts, they're been discovered by celebrity chefs and foodies. So now they're "gourmet," with a pricetag to match.

Before ox tails became all the rage it was short ribs. I grew up on short ribs, because we couldn't afford anything better. Now you need a second mortgage to put them on the table.

All of the bottom cuts now carry ridiculous prices. Have y'all bought (or, rather, priced) flank steak lately? We won't even bring up brisket.

Try as they might, the whole offal thing hasn't taken off, except among some high-end chefs. The typical American just isn't going to eat those parts---unless, as has happened with seafood, they make a concerted effort to change the names.

It's a round robin with offal. Because it isn't very popular, it's generally unavailable. Which makes liver, and hearts, and tongues, and brains, and tripe, etc. "specialty" cuts. Which makes them expensive, so people don't buy them, and they never become popular, so remain unavailable.

And if you think changing names, alone, doesn't make a big difference you haven't bought any fresh bacon lately.

Seems that this year the honor will go to beef cheeks, which all the chefs and foodies are talking about.

For a lot of these cuts, availability seems to be a localized thing. Beef short ribs, for instance, a staple of the barbecue world in Texas and California, are virtually unknown in the South. Here the ribs are stripped and the meat ground into hamburger. Which is kind of amusing, because certain high-end restaurants---ya know, the kind that charge $25 and up for hamburgers---due the same thing with short ribs, and justify the prices that way.

OK. Rant over.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2013 at 05:12
Just a note, my home-kill butcher just tried to pull a swiftie!
clearly tails are becoming valuable.
I guess he was hoping I wouldn't notice I didn't get our tail.
I will be calling him on Monday, and getting a fatter bigger one as replacement.

It helps to have friends
Thanks all.
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2013 at 06:09
In Spain, oxtail is seasonal and collaborates with the Bull Fighting Corridas ( the Bull Fighting Rinks ) excluding the 4 Catalá provinces where it is outlawed; Tarragona, Barcelona, Girona and Lérida.

These seasons take place: March / April / May and July.  

I paid, 8 Euros for the kilo ... For San Fermín the 6th July. I too, have friends in the right places !

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2013 at 03:27
Sure wish I could find some oxtail...I'm dying to try a kalimotxo version. The short ribs were so good that way, I'm sure the tail would be over the top.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2013 at 09:12
Dave - I think that kalimotxo and oxtails would make a perfectly wonderful combination; the flavours would go beautifully hand-in-hand with the long, slow technique.
If all else fails, I can package some carefully in dry ice and ship them during the winter, where I am guessing they should arrive still-frozen or, at worse, thawed and ready to be used - or perhaps your Portuguese neighbours might have some resources for acquiring them?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 13:23
Bringing this back to the top in order to post the best oxtail recipe I've tried, so far:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/rabo-de-toro-de-puente-de-la-reina_topic4802.html

Also, I'd like to try the Oxtail on Brook's thread regarding Gullah foodways:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/beyond-shrimp-grits_topic4408.html
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 09:24
Mike - we have oxtail on the menu this coming weekend. My current plan is to prepare the Gullah Oxtail shared by Brook (link in post immediately above this one); but in my searching, I noticed that the link to the Malay Oxtail in your opening post is dead.

I know it's been a while, but if you get a moment, could you maybe cruise the interwebs and see if it (or a similar recipe) can be found under another source? I did a quick Google search, but not sure which one would be close to the one you were referring to.

Many thanks -

Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic