Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Piedmontese Bagna Cauda

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Piedmontese Bagna Cauda
    Posted: 09 September 2012 at 06:10

Bagna Cauda Dip served with Shrimp on Skewers & assorted
vegetable crudities.  

Bagna Cauda is a Piedmontese comfort food prepared in a Fondue Style Pot. This starter concoction is a traditional dip which is served with crudities for example: cardoon root, chicory, artchokes, yellow bell  peppers, fennel, endive, and red bell peppers. 

Here is my Nonna Margherite´s Version.

PIEDMONTESE BAGNA CAUDA

1/8 to 1/4 stick butter
1 cup Extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup cream
12 garlic cloves thinly sliced
1 two ounce jar of anchovies rinsed and chopped ( perhaps anchovy paste can be a sub here )
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 red bell peppers cut julienne in strips
2 yellow bell peppers cut julienne in strips
4 celery stalks cut julienne in strips
2 heads Belgian endive leaves

1. Sauté the Evoo, cream and the Garlic in a heavy medium saucepan over very low simmer until garlic begins  to fall apart & continue stirring occasionally, 20 - 25 mins.

2. add anchovies and simmer 2 mins.

3. add the butter and remaining cream & simmer until thickened for about 7 mins.

4.  adjust seasoning, salt and freshly ground blk. pepper.

5. arrange the vegetables on a platter or wood board and set the Bagna Cauda in the centre.

Enjoy with some crusty hot oven bread and a glass of wine or beer.

Marge.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2012 at 10:08
That sounds very good! I'm saving this one for some day, and hopefully soon.

I have to find a cheaper source of anchovies. I would cook with them a lot more often if I could. I paid $4.69 US for 2oz last time I bought them. I've been able to substitute Asian fish sauce in some instances, but the saltiness of the fish sauce can make it less versitile.
Hungry
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2012 at 10:13
Rod,

Anchovies are exported from both Spain & Italy to the USA.

Perhaps ordering online or at Tesco or one of these large stores ?

I love anchovies and a fish sauce would certainly create another taste profile.

What about Anchovy Paste ?  This would be closer in taste profile.

Seafood Wholesalers in the USA: there are numerous websites on google.com

Kind regards.
Marge.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 17:39
I have to ask a question: The recipe has a total of 3/4 cup of cream that is used in 2 installments. How much is used during the cooking of the garlic? Thanks.
Hungry
Daikon View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 18:41
I'd leave it out entirely.  Bagna cauda typically contains only olive oil, butter, garlic and anchovies.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 03:16
Rod and Daikon;

*** Rod: 1st Question: I would use 1/4 to 1/2 of the 3/4 of Cream;  

if you wish to employ the cream ingredient.  Please note: this recipe employs cream.

*** Daikon:  there are numerous variations on Bagna Cauda throughout the Piedmonte province and other provinces of Italia;

I have seen recipes for example employing the yolks of eggs or The Rind of Reggiano Parmesano to prepare the dip or Fondata.  

Another Variation Recipe is:

2 egg yolks
100 grams un - salted butter
5 cloves garlic
45 grams of anchovies

So, as you can see, this Pastoral Historical Piedmontse dish has various recipes handed down throughout this region. My Nonna used a Parmesano Rind for many years at her Trattoria.

The recipe I provided is more modern and quicker to prepare, though not tastier !  

You shall find, that many pastoral recipes also include Simmering the Reggiano Parmesano Rind, as part of the base of this dip.

Hope this has assisted.
Marge.

Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2012 at 12:43
Jeez, I don't know how i missed it but how much butter is in this recipe? Maybe you can edit your original post with the amount?
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2012 at 14:07
Rod, Good Evening,

I use 1/8 to 1/4 of butter unsalted. Apologies.

If you require more use 1/4 to 1/2.

Thanks for bringing the butter amount to my attention,
I appreciate your attention to my Mediterranean recipes.
Sorry.

Have great wkend.
Marge.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2012 at 15:08
Well, I made it even though I didn't know how much butter to use. I used 4 tablespoons of butter.  I was wondering if this recipe was going to come together, but it did in the end. The olive oil and cream and garlic just wanted to stay separate. The oil didn't want to mix with the cream at all. Adding the anchovies didn't change that. Adding the butter did. The additional cream finally showed an incorporated sauce. I added a touch of lemon juice and served it to dip fresh baked bread and romaine lettuce leaves and red bell pepper slices. I thought it was great. Thanks.

There's some left over and I'm going to try to dress some leftover egg dumplings (speatzle) and try it as a salad dressing.
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2012 at 15:37
Rod,

Sorry it took me so long to provide the the butter quantity, and please feel free to email me ...

GLAD IT ALL TURNED OUT FAB FOR U ...

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT... IT IS QUITE NICE FOR A DIP FOR CHERRY TOMATOES, ENDIVE OR OTHER LETTUCES, AND BELL PEP SLICES ... NICE APPETISER ... AND WHAT I LIKE MOST IS THE DIPPING AND SIPPING ... THE CHAT, THE MEDITERRANEAN  SOCIALIZING OF IT...

THANKS AGAIN FOR COMPLIMENT.
Remember, email me if u ever need some assistance,
Marge - and have great wkend.

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2012 at 10:45
There's a recipe here that I've been dying to try:

My stumbling block has been the brandy - something we just don't usually have lying around here, but it should be easy enough to get on a payday.....I'm not sure how essential it is to the dish, but I'm guessing that it surely can't hurt.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 11:02
Tas,

Bagna Cauda, has a bit of an obscure history, as it seems to have a Spanish connection from what I have read online.

Shall have to google around a bit and see what I can obtain info wise.

There are numerous variations on the recipe depending on family recipe, location and product availability.

Marge.
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 05:56
Mrs Percebes recovering from surgery to her arm and wrist.
She needed some cheer so we went to Banff for a mountain getaway last week.

Chinook wind blew in a 13C gift of a day.

Went to the Grizzly House Fondue restaurant and had some Bagna Cauda as well as a Hunters Fondue with Elk, Venison, Bison and Wild Boar. Started with Cheese fondue.
Finished with Toblerone and fresh fruit

There is a private booth in the back for 2 people romantic dinners. The waiter will not enter unless you pull the cord raising the wooden flag above the booth to indicate that you require service.

We went oil fondue, but 90% of patrons opt for Hot Rock Cooking which produces a lot of heat and smoke.
With a full house it is like being in a sweat lodge at the end of the night-Hot and smoky

Here is the menu-Been a Banff landmark since 1967
http://banffgrizzlyhouse.com/dinner-menu/

I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 07:44
Sounds like a great time - glad that Mrs. Percebes is on the mend!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 06:53

1 eighth or 1 quarter of a standard stick of French style butter but if you prefer, eliminate the cream and just add the butter ..  

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 06:23
Rod,

Thank you and pleased to hear it all worked out ..

I actually prefer the históric traditional récipe which is without cream.

Now, in ancient times, only butter was used as Evoo is a product of Liguria in the northwest and Piedmont is  inland .. And climatically not the best place for Olive trees ..

So, Evoo was not included during ancient times ..  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic