Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Africa > North Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Al Farawlah al tazjah ma'a al labn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Al Farawlah al tazjah ma'a al labn
    Posted: 17 September 2012 at 15:15

Al Farawlah al tazjah ma'a al labn
Fresh Strawberries with Yogurt

I found this easy, refreshing recipe, along with these comments, at about.com:

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/dessertsandcookies/r/strawberries_yogurt_dessert.htm

Quote When strawberries are in season in Morocco, they might be sliced, mixed with yogurt and sugar, and left to macerate a bit until a creamy, juicy sauce forms. Serve as a light dessert or healthy snack.

It's about as simple as can be, and is surely versatile enough; here's the recipe:

Quote Ingredients: 

◦ 1 lb. (about 500 g) fresh strawberries
◦ 1/2 cup (about 120 g) vanilla yogurt
◦ 3 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
◦ Dash of vanilla extract or flavoring (optional)

Preparation:

Wash and slice the strawberries. Gently mix the sliced strawberries with the yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Cover, and leave in the fridge for an hour or longer.

If desired, bring back to room temperature before serving.

Yield: 3 to 4 servings

This one is so easy, it hardy needs photographs; however, since I was making it along with various other Mediterranean foods one day, I snapped a few shots.

Here are the goods:

Due to a miscommunication, only one pound of strawberries was brought up from the freezer, but no worries, you get the idea. For yogurt, I went with what we had available. Full-fat plain or Greek yogurt would probably be preferable, but this worked without any real problems. Since it was vanilla yogurt, the addition of Vanilla extract was probably not necessary, but since I love vanilla, I added it.

As I said, this is pretty easy to do; first, I drained the liquid from the strawberries:

In a good kitchen, nothing (or, at least, very, very little) goes to waste; in this case, I reserved the juice and added it to some lemonade that I made.

Next, I cut the strawberries into chunks:

Due to the fact that they were frozen and then thawed, there was still quite a bit of juice, but no worries.

I then added the yogurt to the strawberries:

Since I was preparing this dessert for 6 people, I added the entire carton; this is considerably more than the ratios called for in the recipe, but once again - no worries.

Next came a very generous splash of vanilla:

I elected not to add any additional sugar, due to the fact that the yogurt and strawberries together seemed sweet enough. One could, of course, add sugar if desired.

That's pretty much it - see, I told you it was easy! After stirring the ingredients together:

I covered the dessert and put it into the refrigerator for a couple of hours in order to allow everything to mingle. The next time I saw this wonderful concoction, I was serving it up as part of a wonderful Mediterranean-style supper:

Other notable dishes served were barbecued ribs with a Greek-inspired rub, vinegar-soaked cucumber slices and sliced pita bread, with hummus and home-made tzatziki for dipping.

Unique, easy and delicious - this wonderful dessert from the Maghreb was a terrific end to a very enjoyable dining experience that was enjoyed be everyone. It's certainly worth a try, if you're looking for a refreshing compliment to a North African or Mediterranean meal.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 01:48
Ciao Tas,

This is a lovely way to serve fruit.

Unfortunately strawberry season is over, however, we have divine fresh figs, wild fresh rasberries, peaches & nectarines ... So, easy easy recipe ... and I shall employ real Greek Yogurt which I pick up by the Kilo in Lidl, an established German Supermarket chain, which caters to multi ethnic tastebuds.  

Too bad, you do not have Lidl in Montana. Their sales are sales, and their pricing is quite good, and their array of foreign items ranging from Italy, Turkey, Greece, Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark, Rumania, amongst other nations, is quite extensive. I love their Greek Yogurt, their cheeses, charcuterie and their sausages and smoked salmon.

I have several Moroccan cookbooks which have the recipe dishes, in both Moroccan Arabic and English or Spanish; so if you need any help I thought to begin a Moroccan Glossary and a Turkish & Egyptian  one, I can do too.

After 20.00 hrs., I am normally not online to post; I have FOW in my Bookmark for glancing and making some notes, to reply the following day. I knew the word LABN denotes Yogurt, because I am quite a fan of LABNEH which is a spiced Yogurt in Egypt and Port Haifa.

Thanks for posting.
Kind regards.
Marge.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 09:28
Looks an awful lot like a dessert my grandma used to make, 'cept she used mixed fruit so it had strawberries, cherries, apples, raisins, etc. in it. Basically whatever fruit she had on hand. Mmmm. yummy.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2012 at 13:43
Looks great Ron! I'll be trying this soon.

Here's a suggestion... make your own vanilla extract. It's super cheap compared to the store bought stuff.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 09:34
Tried it!

Simple, easy & delicious.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 09:45
Glad you liked it Darko ~ it's too easy not to try, and although I love the strawberries, I am sure that one could use any fruit that they prefer.

Mike - we make a similar "fruit salad," but have always used sour cream - i do like this yogurt version, and the clean, refreshing flavours that it provides.Tongue
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 10:59
Tas,

Greek or Greek Style Yogurt is very very good for you.

I have one or two for Breakfast with a variety of energizers; almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts and some fresh seasonal fruit or Turkish Figs or some kernels of Muselli Swiss Cereal.

Then, I have my Espresso enroute to work at the Bar next door.

Marge.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 19:39
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Glad you liked it Darko ~ it's too easy not to try, and although I love the strawberries, I am sure that one could use any fruit that they prefer.

Mike - we make a similar "fruit salad," but have always used sour cream - i do like this yogurt version, and the clean, refreshing flavours that it provides.Tongue
You're right Ron. This would work great with any fruit, or a mix of various fruits.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic