Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

$16.00 off at La Tienda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $16.00 off at La Tienda
    Posted: 18 September 2012 at 17:48
I got a mailing today from La Tienda (spanish foods website) and they are having a promotion...$16.00 off any order in honor of their 16th year in business...just use the promo code 
ANNIV16 at checkout...this offer should be good until Oct 8th.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 23:21
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to pick up a cazuela:

www.tienda.com

(Note - please click on these links in order to check out these products; doing so helps this forum pay for itself! )
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 04:29
Here's what I ordered with my discount

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 09:03
that looks incredible, dave - i was taking a good hard look at that myself, and it came in a close second!

thanks for spreading the word about the promotion - la tienda is top shelf stuff, from what i can see.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 09:48
Oh man, I've been jonesing for a paella pan for a while... especially now that I've seen the local grocery store carries paella "kits" (rice, spices, etc). Still not sure I can justify the price to the wife though... even with the discount.

Ah man, the 10" pan is only $16.50! So 50 cents after the discount. If it wasn't for the $10 shipping I'd buy it right now! lol.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 09:58
mike - go for it ~ you can get a grerat, quality paella pan that will be just right for 3$, after the discoutn, plus shipping:

if you go just a little smaller, you can get one for 50 cents!

how on earth can she say no to that, especially after you make a wonderful paella for her? Wink
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 10:17
yeah I think I've talked her into letting me get the 10" one after we get paid on friday.
Even though it's smaller than I'd like, I think it'll work out ok, since it'll probably just be me and her eating it anyway. Plus the 10" one will fit perfectly on the burner on our stove.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 10:29
sounds like a winner all-around.

those "paella kits" are great for stepping over the threshold into the wondereful paella experience. it won't be long before you're ready to step up and build them from scratch, but to be honest i probably never would have even tried paella if it weren't for the kit, so i highly recommend the kits as a "gateway."

keep in mind that in general paella pans need a little bit of easy but important care. i am sure margi can provide some tips on this, and i think it would make a great subject of discussion in the spanish forum, if anyone wants to start it up!

once you master stovetop paella - next step would be to do it over some flames - fire up the grill!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 10:38
Tas, Hoser and Pitrow,

EN HORA BUENA ( Congratulations ) ... PAELLERAS y CAZUELAS ( BARRO = EARTHENWARE OVEN WARE ) !!!

THIS IS THE WAY TO GO GENTS.

Too bad, I am not an exporter ... Wink

Great discount to take advantage of ... I have my 2nd larger Paellera since 1996. It is phenomenal and my 1st pallera and all my clay cazuelas are quite old; I had bought them in the 1970s on my 1st trip to Spain ... and believe me, the older the better !!!  I also have some lovely Chef clients who have assisted me with a few kitcheny items here and there too ...

Ciao.
Marge-

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 10:41
margi -

since i will probably only get one cazuela during my lifetime, i figured a covered one would be the best all-around choice for its versatility.

any thoughts on the matter?
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 10:20
Woohoo... I just ordered a pan. Should be here on friday. It was only 30 cents more to get 3-day air over ground shipping, so I pampered myself! lol. 

Thanks Dave, for the hookup! 10" paella pan, to my door 3rd-day, for under $11. Can't beat that with a stick.
Mike
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 10:28
Pitrow,

Paelleras ( paella pans ) are cheaper in the shop Hoser recommended; than in Valencia !

Glad that all of you have hit the Spanish Gastronomy Jack Pot of Cookware ... LOL

Big smile
Marge.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 10:44
you're going to love it, mike - when the time comes, we'll get your squared away so you can take mrs. pitrow on a journey to spain with your paellas ~
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 11:01
Tas,

The earthenware clay Cazuela with Cover: 

My view is that one can prepare a slow flame braise dish needing a cover and if you prefer just to roast, then, do not employ the lid for that dish. Great; you have two types of clay ovenware and as a matter of fact; u can prepare a Paella In Oven or Stove Top with a cazuela ( we call it Barro = the clay & mud of the earthenware ).

When do u expect delivery ?

Keep me abreast and do note: this is wonderful for your oxtails with the lid ...

Use it and remember FUEGO LENTO which is slow slow flame and / or heat or fire ...

Marge.  

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 11:06

hi, margi -

yes, i'll be looking forward to that covered cazuela/barro. i'll be ordering it here in a couple of days so delivery will be a week or two after that. it seems well made and with the lid, i figure it will be versatile for open cooking or covered cooking. i'm really excited about getting it and seeing just how good food can be with it! Tongue

eventually, i'd like to get one or two of those open, older-style roman cazuelas with the round bottom - one for cooking and maybe a set for serving as well.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 11:15
Tas,

What is really interesting too is that the Older the Clay Ovenware is, the better the flavors of the dishes prepared in them are ... Treat this one with kid gloves ...

Taurine, Paellas, Slow flame braises, and almost all Spanish dishes and Mediterranean specialties can be done lovely in a barro cazuela.  ( a clay earthen oven ware cooking vessel )

Look forward to hearing all about it and seeing your 1st pictorial with it ... Great to place on stone and use it for serving too ... with special heat proof gloves --- they hold the food hot ...

Marge.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 14:27
Well, I placed my order....slightly different from my plans mentioned above - read on!

I went to actually make the order, and I kept looking at the small size of the modern-looking covered cazuela:

Barely enough for 2 people!Shocked

So at the last moment, I decided to order a larger, more traditional-looking Roman-style cazuela:

AND a nice, traditional-looking mortar and pestle:

Both of these together only cost a couple of dollars more than the covered cazuela, so it was a good buy, I think.

Then, just after I pulled the trigger on my order, I saw that they were also practically giving away pimenton de la vera:

1.95$ US for two tins, each tin is 70 grams, so 140 grams of pimenton for 1.95$ US!! 

It sounds pretty good to me, when the usual price is 12.00$ US, so I sent an email asking if this could be added to my order ~ hopefully they will be able to add them ~

I think I did well ~ hopefully!

Eventually, I will get the covered cazuela, but for now, I wanted to get the best bang for my 16-dollar discount.

Also, while shopping around, I came across a very nice olla de barro at what looks to be a nice price:

I like the looks of this, and it seems that it would be equally at home with Latin American cooking (beans, soups etc.) or with Spanish cocina de cuchara, so I will commit myself to getting one of these as soon as I can, hopefully before the snow flies!

Not bad for a day's shopping, I'd say ~

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 01:45
Originally posted by pitrow pitrow wrote:

Woohoo... I just ordered a pan. Should be here on friday. It was only 30 cents more to get 3-day air over ground shipping, so I pampered myself! lol. 

Thanks Dave, for the hookup! 10" paella pan, to my door 3rd-day, for under $11. Can't beat that with a stick.

No problemo Mike...here's what I got with my discount...an olivewood salt and spice keeper

Of course after getting that in...needed some teeny sized serving spoons as well.

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 09:06
I was looking at that same salt & spice keeper Dave, but I decided it would "class up" my kitchen too much, lol.  And those have got to be the smallest spoons I've ever seen! 

I just checked my order and it says it's "out for delivery", woo hoo, a day early! Can't wait to get home tonight and check it out.
Mike
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 09:14
I love the beautiful figure in the olive wood, dave - that is truly going to make a beautiful kitchen, and it will really help set a rustic atmosphere.

I just got off the phone with LaTienda; the gal who took my call was extremely friendly, informative and efficient. It looks like they did get my request regarding the smoked paprika, and they were able to include it in my order. In fact, my order is sitting on a pallet right now, about to be shipped!

Many thanks again, Dave, for bringing LaTienda to our attention. I am truly impressed with this source ~ if the products perform half as good as they look, and a tenth as wonderful as their customer service, I think we all are in for some truly amazing LaTienda experiences! Clap

FIVE STARS, so far! StarStarStarStarStar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic