Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Tools of the Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Taking Care of your Paellera

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking Care of your Paellera
    Posted: 19 September 2012 at 10:36
I know that my own paellera requires some easy-yet-important care; it needs to be kept completely dry, and a sheen of oil on it seems beneficial in order to prevent rust.

Perhaps some of our paella experts can lend some advice on selecting, "breaking-in" and maintenance of the paellera?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 10:55
Firstly, there are numerous types of palleras ( paella pans ): 

flat bottom pallera - stainless steel modern style:

I have 2 that are quite aged, and when preparing for a group during the Christmas Holidays, I use a very large cazulea de barro: an earthenware pallera or ovenware baking dish.:

This website:

has quite a bit of information on it; however, the size factor, the material or metal it is made of; and the amount of browning that is stuck on the base, shall be all factors to consider on washing. 

Here is a DIRTY pallera:

Depending on the manufacturer, the type metal, or even a Cazuela of earthenware; the care is to soak a bit in a gentle warm detergent and then, wash it like any other pot; and let dry at room temp. and store in a dry pantry or cabinet or closet. Then, I cover with a towel ( Madrid is a very dusty city as it is very arid here ) ...  

Hope this assists....

Marge.  
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 11:14
cazulea de barro: an earthenware pallera or ovenware baking dish:

This is exactly what i intend to order from La Tienda:

https://www.tienda.com/products/terra-cotta-cazuela-15-inch-ca-10.html

(Note - please click on these links in order to check out these products; doing so helps this forum pay for itself! )

Many thanks to hoser  for the tip

Very nice, Margi!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 11:17
Clap Thanks Tas.

En hora buena, Congratulations ... Then, I shall have to fly over, and have some Paella, and I shall bring the La Bomba from Fallera - Valencia.

LOL

Marge.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 08:23
i've noticed that as I use my heavy-steel paellera, it darkens quite a bit over time. this is not rust, but resembles the seasoning that a cast-iron pan or a pizza stone acquires.

is this darkening normal and fine, or will it negatively affect the food that i make? should i be scrubbing the paellera with vinegar to remove the darkening and bring it back to its original shine? should i burn it off in the oven on the "clean" cycle? should i sell it and get a new one?

help!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 10:09
How do take care of a Paellera  Pan ?

Firstly, since I do not know if your paellera is carbon steel, or stainless steel ...

However, I am going to recommend a website that I believe shall assist:

I have never had any of the problems you have described, and I bought our 2 in 1996.

Stainless steel are maintenance free ...

I believe u have a carbon steel; which requires special seasoning and cannot be put in a dishwasher ... ( see website link )

Hope this assists.
Margaux.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 10:18
I concur that you probably have carbon steel, Ron. If so, treat it like a light-weight version of your cast iron. Keep it oiled, and never allow soap to touch it.

The blackening is exactly what you want to see.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 10:22
aye, it is carbon steel, or some close form of it - not stainless. 

i simply don't ever recall seeing a darkened paellera. and was concerned that i might need to remove the patina, or whatever it is - but as long as the darkening is normal and will not effect mis paellas, i will not worry about it! 
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 14:46
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

aye, it is carbon steel, or some close form of it - not stainless. 

i simply don't ever recall seeing a darkened paellera. and was concerned that i might need to remove the patina, or whatever it is - but as long as the darkening is normal and will not effect mis paellas, i will not worry about it! 

The darkening is not only normal, it is desired.
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 09:48
Here is a bit of information from www.tienda.com:

(Note - please click on these links in order to check out these products; doing so helps this forum pay for itself! )

Quote After each use, treat the pan as you would any steel or cast iron pan; wash it by hand, then season it with a light film of oil to retard rust. Should any rust appear, merely wipe it off.

As you use your steel paella pan it will become seasoned, changing color and absorbing more flavors as you continue to cook with it.

Seasoning tip: If you coat the pan with olive oil and place it in a 350 F oven for two hours the process will help prevent rust.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 11:51

I  honestly prefer my 15 cm. earthenware clay "cazuela" because :

It is much deeper and when I make a paella, I make extra so I can have lunch the next day.

RON:  Yes, I do same when making a small portioned paella for 2,  one for a lunch on a Sunday and then lunch on Monday for myself ..

Yes, this is good advice on how to treat the palleras .. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic