Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Papas Canarias

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Papas Canarias
    Posted: 22 September 2012 at 07:15

Photos: (1) chili pepper  (2) typical palm trees  (3)  potato bed   (4) Canary Island Potatoes with Mojó Picon Rojo

Canary Island Sea Salt Crusted Potatoes with Extra virgin olive oil, garlic & Cilantro from Chef José Andrés - Foods of Spain - USA.

La Salsa ( spicy dip ) Mojó Picón Rojo en Preparación; Public Doman (Internet Search)

On the Canary Islands, just head over to any Bar and there shall be two little dishes of Mojo Picón, the red and the green. Spicy Mojó is served with wrinkled boiled with skin on potatoes which are small wrinkled potatoes boiled in salt water or sea water and this method imprints the wrinkled skin on the exterior and the lovely creamy interior.

The main ingredient of the Red Mojó is chili pepper which was brought to the Canaries from Latin America. The Green is prepared with Fresh Cilantro, Evoo, the same Spices  & white wine vinegar and garlic.

Spicy Mojó is eaten with wrinkled potatoes and fresh fish. They are divino for a lovely Tapa.

Here is the recipe for canary island spicy mojó rojo salsa ...

1 head of garlic ( a bulb )
1 tblsp. cumin
1 bay leaf
1 cup olive oil ( 8 fl. oz. )
3 to 4 teaspoons sweet pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika)
1 dried red chili pepper
Sea salt
White wine vinegar

1) peel the garlic and crush in Mortar or blender with the cumin, bayleaf and the chili peppers

2) drizzle in the olive oil drop by drop and thenn add a little salt and finally a splash of white wine vinegar

3) if the sauce is a bit thin for your taste, add a couple of pieces of day old bread and re-mix.

FOR THE POTATOES:  in a large pot, prepare the salty water with sea salt ( 250 grams if not using ocean water ) and do not peel the potatoes. You wantjust enough water to cover the potatoes. They shall boil in highly salted water, and thus, become wrinkled and the interiors shall be very tender.

If possible boil the potatoes in salt water from the sea, or a river, or bay or ocean or salt water lake. Thus, if you use ocean water, less grams of sea salt shall be required.

Chef José Andrés does a lovely take on them, and the two Mojó Salsas; red and the green, which is prepared with Evoo, parsley or cilantro and garlic.

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/made-in-spain/

Enjoy,

Marge.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 13:29
Whaddaya know. I thought Salt Potatoes originated in the Southern Tier of NY.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 13:37
Melissa, I am uncertain where the process of salting vegetables in general originated, however, prior to refrigeration, many foods were salted and / or smoked to preserve them by ancient civilization communities.

The potato is of Peruvian origin, dating back to the Incas 3.000 years, and have extended their growth of the crop throughout South and North America.

According to www.wikipedia.org/Incas, there have been 4.000 types of potatoes in Peru. The most famous is the violet potato known for its creamy yellow interior.

The Native American Indians preserved buffalo meat as well as numerous other cultures preserved food for long journies, and their daily needs.  In Asia, Europe, Egypt, Africa, India, Persia, the Mediterraneans, the Moorish, Japan, China and South America, all people have been known to smoke and / or salt meats, fowl and fish etcetra.

This specific Canary Island Tapa or appetiser and there are variations on the 7 different islands, is quite renowned for its salted wrinkled ( papas arrugadas ) potatoes, and their 2 salsas.

It would be an interesting topic to google, and see how the salting of potatoes was done by the Incas as they have numerous potato recipes.

www.wikipedia.org/potato

http://www.wikipedia.org/Canarianwrinklypotatoes

Thanks for your feedback,
Ciao. Marge.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 14:48
This is what I was thinking of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_potatoes (Looks like they're related!)

My father's side of the family has a reunion in the Southern Tier every 5 years, and we always have salt potatoes.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 15:08
Melissa,

I have read the wikipedia link that you posted and the New York State variety of Salt Potatoes, I am sure are marvelous too.

Thanks so much for posting.

Do you have the recipe for the NY State Salt Potatoes ? Are they eaten with a special sauce or dip ?

Ciao,
Marge.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 18:00
I think it's just potatoes boiled in salt water. We usually eat them plain, or with butter. (family of dairy farmers, so it makes sense. ;))
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2012 at 02:38
Here's what salt potatoes look like in the package Margi:

They come with a large packet of salt, and you just boil them up.

You actually get a visible salt crust on the outside that you can see after boiling...then just dip them in some butter and have at it.

They are very good....just not very good for you.Confused
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2012 at 02:41
Hoser,

Thanks so much for your contribution and the photos.

They look marvelous.

Yes, in the Canary Islands, by boiling them in the very salty water or ocean water, a salty crust forms on the exterior, and instead of the butter, one dips in the Mojó Picon salsas, red piquant or green cilantro.

And of course, each Tavern or Bar, prepares their salsas, just a little bit different, as in most handed down recipes from one family to another.

We have had them in Madrid Capital as well, and they are scrumptuous.

They are wonderful either way!

Have lovely Sunday,
Ciao, Marge.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 19:31
   I've made this recipe before, it was delicious.  I remember it was one of the featured recipes on Made in Spain - Chef José Andrés.

I'm really glad you reminded me about this one!

Dan

Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 02:47
Dan,

THESE POTATOES ARE AWESOME ... and yes, José Andrés prepares them at his restaurants ---

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you prefer the red or the green Mojó = Salsa dip ?

The NY Butter Sauce is a cool idea too ... I shall prepare all 3 salsas and label them on tiny cards for my guests, when we get settled ...

Do see the Library on Chef José ´s latest books in English; available from: www.amazon.com

He also has recipes online: http://www.joseandres.com/ and http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/made-in-spain/

Enjoy.

Margi.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 10:01
I liked the option of having both the red and green dipping sauce....so GOOD!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2018 at 14:24
I was reading this thread today and decided to do a quick search for a recipe for the mojo verde sauce mentioned above. I am glad that I did, because it looks very good!

Quote Mojo Verde

Ingredients

6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups well-packed chopped cilantro leaves*
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sherry-wine vinegar

(*Ron's note: I would have no choice but to substitute parsley for cilantro leaves; either that, or perhaps a half-and-half combination of parsley and cilantro.)

Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic and salt to a smooth paste. Add cilantro leaves and cumin seeds; mash until well combined. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while continuing to mash, until all the olive oil is absorbed.

Turning the pestle in a slow, circular motion around the mortar, drizzle in 2 teaspoons water and vinegar. Keep at room temperature until ready to serve.

Makes about 1/2 cup

http://www.tastespotting.com/features/salt-wrinkled-potatoes-recipe-jose-andres
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2018 at 16:06
I am not a big potato eater however, Canary Island Ocean boiled potatoes and my all time fave, Patatas Bravas in  Smoked Paprika Sauce are my faves ..  

Definitely gems  !!!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 15:53

Has anyone recently prepared these  ?

Been a long time however, I did attend the largest food and wine trade fair in April 2019, and at the Canary Islands Section, they had an exhibiton and tasting of these gems.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic