Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Greece
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Meatballs in a tomato sauce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Souvlaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meatballs in a tomato sauce
    Posted: 28 September 2012 at 06:34
IGREDIENTS: 

for the meatballs:
500 gr. ground veal meat
2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1 whole egg
1 onion, grated
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

for the tomato sauce:
1 can (400gr) plum tomatoes
1 onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon sweet red paprika
3 tablespoon flour
some fresh basil leaves for decorating

Put the meat with all ingredients in a bowl and knead well. For small balls, 24 of them aproximatelly. Place them in the refrigerator for half an hour.
Prepare the sauce. Pour the tomatoes in a food processor and pulse them together with the onion. 
Pour the tomatoes in a heavy bottom skillet add salt, sugar, paprika simmer covered for 10 minutes. Take the meatballs and roll each of them in the flour, add them in the sauce and simmer for another 20 minutes with the skillet uncovered. When this sauce is geting thick it is ready to be served on top of pasta, boiled rice  or mashed potatoes.

Enjoy!

Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 07:00
Italian meatballs.
Approve I approve Souvlaki 100%.

They look scrumptuous. Shall give your recipe a try in October.

My grandmom Nonna Margherite, did not fry her meatballs either. Italian meatballs are different than the Greek or the Spanish ( which are fried 1st and not placed in a tomato based sauce. )

Interesting. I look forward to trying your´s.

Thanks for posting.

Kindest.
Marge.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 10:53
Very nice, Souvlaki and such a favorite dish over here! I particularly like the fact that you don't fry the meatballs first but simply let them simmer in the sauce. This tastes so much better and... the meatballs digest so much better!
In my country we ofter poach the meatballs first in plain salted water, then a sauce is made on a roux base, adding the cooking water, tomato etc. and many times a good dash of Madeira wine at the very end of the cooking time of the sauce.  The result must be somewhat like your recipe.
Souvlaki View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Souvlaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 01:30
Yes Chris, it used to be a very popular dish in Greece during war times, when people had little ingredients and many mouths to feed. Meatballs were made half/half soaked bread and ground meat, and tomato sauce with flour made greater amounts. 

I do like it because it is light and it needs little time to be prepared. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic