Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Meats, Fish and Eggs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

How do you take your Hot Dog ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you take your Hot Dog ?
    Posted: 28 September 2012 at 10:30
HOW DO YOU TAKE YOUR DOG ?

My old time favorite is typical downtown Manhattan; 100% beef frankfurter, mustard, stewed onions and sauerkrat on top ...

Look forward to hearing all about the way you prefer your hotdogs.

Marge.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 10:59
i'm pretty boring - just plain ol' ketchup is usually good for me, although i've been known to add any good, non-sweet mustard as well. cheese and bacon bits are welcome, but not necessary.

to be honest, the best hot dogs i've had have been right immediately off a stick, over a crackling campfire - with nothing at all.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 11:03
I don't eat them too often, but if I do I keep it simple. Ketchup, mustard and relish.

Or smothered in hot chili.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 11:05
Tas,

Unfortunately, I was born on the pavement in downtown Manhattan in Greenwich Village, however, on the Little Italy side of town, and it is now called Soho, not Little Italy anymore.

Thus, with this in mind, building and kindle-ing a fire, a literally imposs.

I shall however, one day, try it on flame or at least the Hibachi we have in Gargano.

Ciao,
Marge.  
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 11:07
Pitrow,

It is always a pleasure to have your feedback and contributions.

Thanks for the Hot Chili ... Clap

Ciao, Marge.  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 11:09
aye, margi - the grill of a hibachi would work just as well!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 11:21
Since we're talking chilidogs, which I suppose could be a category all by itself, I prefer mine with diced onions and jalapenos (fresh, not the pickled ones) and sharp cheddar cheese. Looking similar to this (not my picture)

Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 11:51
Pitrow:  thanks ... looks good Mike.

Tas:  True, thanks ... I shall be quite dangerous ... LOL

Time to run, 20.00 hrs.

Buenas Noches.
Marge
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 16:19
Ketchup on hot dogs......

I say nothing!
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 16:52
Just a squiggle of mustard, usually. I tried salsa once. Tasty, but made the bun soggy.
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 19:59
They have these things where I live now called coney dogs. A lot of people like them and there are many outlets for them. They're like a chili dog but different. Usually having onions and mustard along with the coney sauce which is like chili but not spiced the same and no beans.

In upstate New York, Kingston actually, was a place called Dallas Hot Wieners on Broadway downtown. The epitome of a "hole in the wall." For years I lived right around the corner. Now THESE things were awesome!

This is a real nice and probably recent picture of the place and it didn't look this good when I lived there. New sign and letters in the windows and the building has been painted. I remember the windows being mostly just streaming with condensation on the inside and you could see very little though them. Many times it was standing room only and lines would be out the door. That's usually a good indication of good things being offered inside.

They might not be much to look at, but...

...they're great! Beef hotdog on a steamed bun with some spicy brown mustard, chopped onions and then the sauce which is made of the leftover hotdogs from the day before and spiced with maybe a Greek influence. The yesterdays hot dog thing might sound bad, but it's not and these things get pretty rave reviews.

The guy making the dogs when I was there could put a half a dozen or more buns on the inside of his left forearm and slap the what's called "dirty water dogs" on them and using a well used oak dowel put a fast swipe of mustard on each, then just as quick the onions and the sauce. Wrapping them in that wax paper was a blur.

All photos taken borrowed from the stores website http://www.dallashotwieners.com/

Hungry
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 03:12
Originally posted by Rod Franklin Rod Franklin wrote:

They have these things where I live now called coney dogs. A lot of people like them and there are many outlets for them. They're like a chili dog but different. Usually having onions and mustard along with the coney sauce which is like chili but not spiced the same and no beans.

In upstate New York, Kingston actually, was a place called Dallas Hot Wieners on Broadway downtown. The epitome of a "hole in the wall." For years I lived right around the corner. Now THESE things were awesome!

This is a real nice and probably recent picture of the place and it didn't look this good when I lived there. New sign and letters in the windows and the building has been painted. I remember the windows being mostly just streaming with condensation on the inside and you could see very little though them. Many times it was standing room only and lines would be out the door. That's usually a good indication of good things being offered inside.

They might not be much to look at, but...

...they're great! Beef hotdog on a steamed bun with some spicy brown mustard, chopped onions and then the sauce which is made of the leftover hotdogs from the day before and spiced with maybe a Greek influence. The yesterdays hot dog thing might sound bad, but it's not and these things get pretty rave reviews.

The guy making the dogs when I was there could put a half a dozen or more buns on the inside of his left forearm and slap the what's called "dirty water dogs" on them and using a well used oak dowel put a fast swipe of mustard on each, then just as quick the onions and the sauce. Wrapping them in that wax paper was a blur.

All photos taken borrowed from the stores website http://www.dallashotwieners.com/

Your Dallas hot weiners sound an awful lot like our New York style weiners here in Rhode Island.
They sure are delicious loaded with sauce, mustard and onions...then celery salt to finish it.

Personally, I like my hot dogs with mustard and relish sometimes, other times loaded with kraut. If they are grilled I go with the mustard and relish route...if they are steamed or boiled in beer...the kraut has to be there.Wink ...just depends on what kind of mood I'm in. We'll be having chicken brats later on today and mine will be smothered in the jalapeno relish I made last week...with a little mustard as well.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 08:21
Photo Courtesy: Nathans New York City.

Rod and Hoser,

Wow ... Looks like a chow down piggy out ...

Fun, once in awhile ...

Coney: There is a place on the Brooklyn Atlantic Coast called Coney Island, and they, have several Franchises for Frankfruters & cool French Fries, a Fast Food venue called NATHANs .. It was a very popular family joint in NYC boroughs and Times Square in its time.

Thanks for all your contributions and feedback,
Marge.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 05:11
Ahhhh, Nathan's---from a hot dog to a national habit.

(for those of you who are New York deprived, that was their motto for a great many years).

We rarely eat hot dogs, per se. When I was much younger than I am I worked as a hustler at Yankee Stadium. You know, those kids who wander around, hawking everything from score cards to food to beer.

In those days we sold the dogs out of a wicker basket that held a steamer box in the middle, with the buns stacked on the sides. An open can of mustard hung off the basket. 

Took me years to get the smell of those dogs out of my nostrils. And hard to ever eat another.

We eat many other forms of tube steak, here. But not frankfurters.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 05:25
Brook,

Yankee Stadium Hustler !

Nathans:  I was very fond of their crinkled golden crisp French Fried Potatoes.

Funny, memory lane ... I guess as I am about to turn 50, this is what one does ?

Ha ha ha ... ApproveThumbs Up 

Have great wkend.
Marge.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 05:59
as I am about to turn 50

50? Hell, you're still a kid. Wait until you're my age: something that happened when you were 8 is crystal clear, but you can't remember where you put your glasses.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 08:09
Brook,

You are complimentary ... LOL

Big smile Your specs ... well, there are moments, I forgot where I placed my cell phone & it is right in front of my eyes, and I do not wear specs !  ha ha ...

Have a great wkend. Any plans ?

How is the weather in KY. ?

It is still quite warm here, 25 centig. degrees by mid morning through sunset ... then it slowly decreases in temperature somewhat, however, great weather, crisp, blue skies, arid and very very sunny.

Kind regards.
Marge. 
Daikon View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 09:50

When I was a lot younger, I lived for a time only a short distance away from Yesterdog, so I've eaten plenty of Cheddardogs and Ultradogs at all hours of day and night.  This is still my nephew's favorite place to eat, and someplace he has to go anytime that he is back in Grand Rapids.  The funny thing is that his girlfriend, who is hardly more than half his size, will now match him dog for dog in these recurrent episodes of Yesterdog indulgence!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 10:07
there's something about that sign, maybe simply the nostalgic character, that makes a hotdog look and sound really good right now ~

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 10:50
Tas,

That is a cool sign ... shall have to add my NATHANĀ“s photos, a few posts upward are quite cool too, and several of the lovely contributions on this thread ... all cool.

Daikon: Wish I had one of these signs for my bar wall and thanks for your contribution and input.

Kind regards.
Marge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic