Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Midwest and Great Plains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Schliewe Chowder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schliewe Chowder
    Posted: 01 October 2012 at 20:31
I used to go out, fairly often, with fishing guide Grant Schliewe. Grant fished several of the great smallmouth bass streams found in western Michigan. His claim to fame: he eschewed modern bass boats, and modeled his service on the old-time Ozark Mountains float trips; using John boats, paddle power, etc. And in line with that he prepared a classic shore lunch.

Grant used the large (up to five pound) suckers that would come upstream out of Lake Michigan for this great soup. He'd filet the suckers, partially cook them, and strip the meat off the many bones. But any firm-fleshed fish works just as well.

Schliewe Chowder

Heat 1 1/2 quarts water with one coarsely chopped onion. Add two pounds of fish filets. Simmer until fish is about half cooked. Remove fish and reserve.

Add about one cup each of finely diced carrots, potatoes, celery, and turnips. Cook until tender.

Flake the fish, return it to the pot, and cook until done. Thicken slightly with a white sauce made with butter, flour, and milk. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried parsley to taste.

Another simple to prepare, stick to the ribs dish when camping, fishing, or otherwise playing in the woods.
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 03:42
Good Morning Brook,

I truly like the simplicity of your historic adaptation recipes. This sounds like a lovely fish and shellfish chowder ... Thanks so much for posting.

Kindest regards.
Margi.  
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 10:28
I just found this post - another recipe that I am going to have to try!

Considering the fish that are available immediately in my area, I can see this being really good with northern pike or perch - and especially good with walleye; I am guessing that trout would be very good, too.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 12:03
Just finding it, Ron? Who says you're slow?

Of the ones you mention, I think Northerns would make the best substitute. Red Horse Sucker meat tastes similar. And the technique is one in which you won't have to worry about the Y bones.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 12:15
Sounds like a plan - Northerns are a favourite fish to catch up here!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 15:48

Ron and Brook, 

Sounds like a true authentic classic  ..  Perfect .. 

I believe that with my availabilities of fish and shellfish,  I would go with sea bass or cod fish or perhaps grouper ( all Mediterranean species )  ..  

Grouper is thick and large so it would give the soup a chowdery thickness and cod is plentiful for the Lent Season ..  

Let me know your views ..  

How about some clams and mussels thrown in too  ?  

What do you suggest in quanity ( kilos please )  on each  ?  

Thanks Gentlemen ..   

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 16:12
Hi, Margi -

I have not prepared this yet, so it is just a guess; however, if you want to add some clams or mussels to it, I am thinking that half a kilo total (of any combination) might be good, in addition to the fish that is already there. I am just guessing; perhaps Brook might have some ideas on this.

As for the fish, it looks like the total amount would be 1 kilo, in any combination.

Hope this helps -

Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic