Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Ariccia, Lazio Porchetta Roast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ariccia, Lazio Porchetta Roast
    Posted: 05 October 2012 at 08:44

For Leftovers the next day; make a porchetta sandwich on Italian style bread ...  
Photo Courtesy: 123rf Uncopyrighted Stock from Italia - Porchetta.

ARICCIA, LAZIO PORCHETTA ROAST ...
By: Margaux Cintrano.  

Firstly, Porchetta hails from Ariccia, Lazio,  the rural agricultural lands of the Roman Province.

This recipe has become quite popular over the years, in the Umbria and the Veneto provinces. There are numerous variations from family to family and region to region.

The recipe I have just translated, comes from my paternal Grandmom Margherite.

1 five or six pound Pork Shoulder Roast (* my Nonna had the butcher butterfly the roast )
2 tablesp. rosemary herb fresh
1/4 cup dried herbs: orégano, parsley, dill, thyme, and fennel seeds
Fresh Fennel Fronds
1/4 cup Evoo
2 tblsps. salt
2 tblsps. freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves of garlic ( for rub )
1 onion or 2 shallots minced ( for rub )
Chicken broth or Veal Broth degreased ( for drizzle of sauce )
Manteca de Cerdo ( pork lard to rub: from Butcher )
Pecorino Sardo or Aged Reggiano Parmesano ( optional for rub )
Dry white or red wine ( your choice; my Grandmom used white, and so does Chef Mario Batali) 
*** 1 LARGE ROASTING PAN FOR OVERNIGHT MARINADE

1) firstly, rub the Evoo & the Manteca de Cerdo on the exterior and the interior, under the skin of the whole young porker or suckling piglet ( the piglet should not be more than 1 year of age ).

2) then, rub the garlic cloves and the onions with all of the various herbs on the exterior, under the flesh, and in every nook and cranny of the porchetta salt and put freshly ground black pepper too

3) Place the porchetta in a large roasting pan and pour 1/4 cup of white or red wine ( preferably Italian and dry ) over and around the pork shoulder

4) Marinate overnight

5) The next day: remove the porchetta from the marinade and tie it to form an even Roll and let sit one hour at room temperature and re-grease with the Manteca and the Evoo

6) preheat the oven for: 325 farenheit degrees or 165 centigrade degrees

7) Place the degreased chicken broth in the oven roasting pan that you shall use to roast the meat

8) Paint the porchetta with chicken broth now, re-rub fresh herbs, fennel frods, fennel seeds, and place a meat thermometer for: 145 degrees farenheit or 63 centigrade degrees in the roast

9) Oven roast at 30 minutes per pound ( 1 hr. 50 mins. for 5 pound roast and 1 hour and 80 mins. for a 6 pound )

10) carve the roast 1/2 hour after it is removed from the oven

11) Great for  sandwiches the next day ... Serve with crusty bread straight from the oven, red wine of choice or Lambrusco or Cava Rosé Pinot Noir and a simple salad ...

ENJOY.
Margaux.  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 09:49
looks wonderful, margi - porchetta is definitely something i want to make and enjoy, hopefully before the end of the year, but if not - i'd like to try cooking it over fire (barbecue) next year. 
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 10:04
   Oh my word, that looks SO GOOD!

I'll be making this soon...that's for sure!

all the best!
  Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 10:46
Tas,

Wow ... it would be divine on your Grill over flame.
Thanks for your contribution & feedback.

Kind regards.
Marge.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 11:08
when i make one, it will probably incorporate elements of your nonna's, plus ideas from the two versions shown here:

what i would do would be to find the common ingredients in all versions, and then go with that, plus anything else that looks special or interesting - some ingredients are difficult for me to get my hands on (fennel pollen or fronds, for example), but then again, most ingredients are not only easy but also probably already in my pantry.

white wine seems to make the most sense to me - i am not expert on wines, but i'd probably try to find a "common" available wine (chardonnay, pinot grigio etc.) that would come close to one of the rpeferred wines mentioined here or in the other versions. specific, special and regional wines are hard to come by.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 11:19
Good Evening Tas,

Just had read your Topic 1430 Recipe for porchetta, and I am love the way in which you had done your pictorial, explanations, and created such a stunning roast, seem so easy to prepare.

I believe a good Italian white or Californian Italian grape variety white shall work perfectly.

Fennel seeds can sub the frods of fresh fennel.  Also, on the marinade point, I see that you wrap the roast in plastic film tightly ... where as my Grandmom just covered her´s in a roast pan in refrig overnight ...  Do you spice rub and marinate overnight too ?

All my kindest.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 11:26
i wish i could take credit for that outstanding smoked porchetta pictorial, but it was a fellow named SQWIB who did that one (a link to his blong is in the post). he's got some great ideas on a lot of things where cooking over fire is concerned, and kindly gave me permission to copy that pictorial over to here.

when i do mine, it will most likely be a combination of the three methods i have available, using the common elements in all. i'll probably marinate mine overnight the same as your nonna, in order to get the effect from the wine.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 11:37
Tas,

Great ... Nonna´s marinade ... I agree on the white wine marinade ... Yes, I see the common denominators. It is a classic Lazio recipe ...  

Yes, I had read your note on SQWIB´s porchetta ... and left you a message there too.

Great news.
Kindest. Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 13:41
any recommendations for an available typ of wine (chardonnay, pinot grigio etc.) that would work well for this? me selection is pretty limited, but i should be able to get any none of the more common white wines, from chardonnay to riesling, etc.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 14:19
Tas I shall recommend Bodegas miguel Torres which exports widely to the Usa and has Calif and Chilean wineries    i shall also tell u torres produces gerwtz . chard and fab reds Sangre de Toro and Corona. Let me do some reasearch on ital wines distributed to Mt. Hope this assists. Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 19:17
    I invited my parents over for diner and we had your Porchetta tonight, Margi.  It was wonderful!  The flavors were so nice and balanced with the win marinade.  The pork was also so tender you could cut it easily with the side of a fork.  Then the fat cap, it was broken down perfect with the outer skin a nice crisp and the interior of the fat was a creamy gelatin of goodness.  All in all, the pork flavor was still the star of this dish...bravo, bravo!

Great recipe, thanks for sharing...I'll be doing this one again!
Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 01:40
Dan, Buon Giorno,

WOW ... To die and go to heaven for ... Thanks so much for your contribtution and compliments.

Your take on my Nonna´s Porchetta looks scrumptuous and I am very appreciative that you have photographed your gorgeous Porchetta.

I feel honored that you prepared Margherite´s dish for your parents too. Which wine did you employ, a Red ? Which grape variety or varieties ? Looks pinker than mine, as I use Italian White Wine from Sicilia.

Looks like heaven on earth ...

Thanks again,
Ciao, Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 16:39
     I was honored to cook the recipe for them.  I always get a little hot colors when taking pictures with my phone, I'm not sure how to set the white balance or how to correct the colors.  I used a California White Riesling, fresh, bright, fruity, slightly sweet and acidic...I also basted it often with stock, wanting to get that fat cap nicely broken down.  I can't wait to make this recipe again.  I served it with spinach braised in some margarita's and mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the kind words...and thanks for sharing!
  Dan

Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 05:34
Dan,

Firstly, thanks so much for your lovely compliments.

Spinach Braised in Margaritas as in the Mexican Cocktail ?   WOW ... Do, please post this for me !

Sounds fabulous and of course, provides color and texture ...

A California Riesling; thank you for posting as this can assist our members on the other side of the Blue Pond !  Hug

All my best regards.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 08:44
outSTANDing, dan! that definitely looks picture perfect, and delicious!

The next pork shoulder roast we have, I'll be trying this, for sure!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic