Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Raising Animals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Rescued Pets or Pedigree?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rescued Pets or Pedigree?
    Posted: 07 October 2012 at 10:07

Rubí was abandoned on the National II Highway enroute to Barcelona,
and she is an Andalusian Silver White Donkey.

Equis, My husband´s Apoloosa.
British blue shorthair León who was 22 years old.

Onyx, who was 22 years old.

Prófi, which is short for Professor, my husband´s
Cataluyna native sepia who is more like a huge dog,
than a donkey ! He is incredibly clever and is 
3 years old.

RESCUED PETS OR PEDIGREE ?

In all honesty, now that I am hitting 50 in December, I have little time to dedicate myself to  indoor kit kats or a dog, which is a huge commitment in an apartment style living situation. When, our two boys passed on, my daughters and I were "basket cases" and it was very hard on our emotions.

None, the less, the Vet, loves animals and has rescued Rubí a silver white Andalusian indigenious donkey of 12 years old to keep Prófi company as he was quite lonely, being the only hoofs at the Lab Lands. Then, Equis was a medical trade due to the crisis.

So, here we are.

I have to find a photo of Rubí to post here too.

Tell us, do you prefer shelter rescued or pedigrees ?

Kind regards.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 10:43
Ours are/were rescues.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 10:49
Melissa,

Thanks for your feedback.

At the Lab, Clinic and Farm where my husband does Bovine Investigative Research 82 km. from the Madrid Capital, they have a whole pride of assorted animals abandoned and then, rescued by his team.

It is amazing that some people are so cruel and heartless.

Tough topic.
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 14:34
My sister and brother had a wonderful German Shepherd/pitbull cross who was found with BBs embedded in his hind leg and a collar that had cut so deeply into his neck you could see his windpipe. Despite this, he became a loving, gentle therapy dog.
Animals are amazing.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 18:47
Why are those the only choices?

The best dog I ever had was a purebreed, but had no papers. Thus, no pedigree. Indeed, I can only think of one dog I've had that was pedigreed. But I raised most of them from puppies.

When Gwynn had to be put down two years ago I vowed there would never be another dog. It's bad enough when you lose one. But I'm at an age where the dog would just as likely outlive me; and that would be even worse. Totally unfair to a loving animal.

In all due respect to the various rescue agencies, not all adopted pets work out. Keep in mind that you may be inheriting some serious problems, both physical and psychological. Sadly, it's only the happy-ending stories that the agencies promote. And this, too, can be unfair to both the animal and its adoptive family.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 19:08
My parents had a dog that had papers and was a descendent of Rin-Tin-Tin. I think a friend gave her to them. Her "Official" name was Tillilina Von Elnora, bit we called her Tilly. ;) 
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 03:33

*** Favorite Breed: Bloodhound.

Brook and Melissa,
Thanks for your feedback and contributions.

I have had 4 Pedigree Cats  & 2 Rescues from  street from teenage hood to 1992; Two Siamese and Two British Shorthair ... I have also had 2 kit kats which we had encountered as rescue kittens, however, not from a Shelter.

All 6 of them, were loved dearly and were as different as night & day in personality ... All very individualistic ... even though, we always had two, so they had company ...

Onyx my Black British Shorthair
 who lived to be 22.

León - blue British who lived to
age 22. Unique fellow.   

This was our Silver tabby British shorthair who had a genetic disease and thus, heartbroken, there was no other option due to his suffering. His name was Bogart.

León when young and lighter in blue coat. 

I have never had a Dog, and yes, I do love dogs very much, however, we live in such a small space comparatively, in centre of the Capital, a large metropolitan and multi cultural city; and this is an injustice to the breeds we love; Bloodhounds are a fave of ours, Collies, German Shepherds, Malamutes, Huskies, and most of the Working Breeds, including Black Labs & the Non Working breed, Dalamations  ...

I found myself very charmed by JERRY who was the Bloodhound who starred in the film: SWEET ALABAMA with Reese Witherspoon ... I also am very fond of Bassets and we have a friend who had one for 15 or 16 years. DARLING. Daschunds are one of the few smaller breeds I like. Pugs are quite enchanting too. I had a friend who had one a long time ago, Frank. He was quite sweet.

I am just not a Yorkshire or Pom person. I prefer the above breeds.

Brook: I know how hard it is when you lose someone you love, be it a person or a beloved mascot and best friend ...

Melissa: Tilly had quite a German Title ... Very common in pure breeds, as we have an Apolossa Horse and his name is Equis, however, he has quite a title too ... as well as the kits did too ... very British names, and LEÓN in Spanish means LION in English.

Have great day, and thanks for all your input.
Margi.

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 03:49
I know how hard it is when you lose someone you love, be it a person or a beloved mascot and best friend ...

Rudyard Kipling believed nobody should own a dog. He thought 40 was a good number, because "that way it doesn't hurt so much when you lose one."

I used to work at a hunt club. At any particular time we'd have as many as 60 dogs in the kennel. And you know what? Kipling was wrong. It still hurts when you lose one; it hurts bad.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 03:54
Brook,

I am in agreement and that is why we do NOT have any cats nor dogs, at home.

MY daughters and I cried for 4 mos. and I still get misty eyed when we discuss them, and so, next topic !

Thanks for all your empathy, and feedback,
Margi.  
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 09:13
for myself, i'll take a "mutt" or a non-registered animal over a registered purebred any day; speaking for cats and dogs etc.

i don't own any livestock, i wouldn't be too picky there, either - except maybe where cattle are concerned. my research:

has indicated that bloodlines are quite important in the cattle world; but having said that, i wouldn't be able to afford any registered, purebred cattle anyway, so if i were going to have a few head of cattle, i probably wouldn't be too picky there, either.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 13:39
Tas,

I believe you have a wonderful mascot who is a pedigree Daschund, Yes ?

Thanks for contribution and feedback.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 14:21
hi, margi - no pedigree, but he is a dachsund. we were lucky to get him, but he is quite a brat!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 14:28
Tas,

A brat ?  He is quite adorable and looks like a real German Daschund Pedigree ...  

Is he troublesome because of the cutie white kit kat ?

Kind regards.
Margi.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 14:40
lol - no, he's just troublesome because he is a puppy.

i don't know for sure, but he does appear to be a full-blooded dachsund; but then again, i am no expert. it wouldn't be surprising if he had another dog or two in the mix....
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 14:52
Tas,

He truly looks just like a German Daschünd.

All puppies, well like children, they get into mischief, chew on all they can and do toilet business where they are not supposed to. He needs to be trained ( Cesar Millán - Dog Whisphering Guidelines ) and be taught right from wrong just like a child !  If not, you and Melissa shall have your hands full ...

He is quite handsome and expressive however.  

He requires a firmness when doing wrong and he shall be a better dog for it.

One thing that Cesar Millán had stated was, you are the Boss, not the dog !

Kindest.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 18:11
Update - Duke is still with us, although he's got a bit of grey on his muzzle....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic