Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Africa > North Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Lamb Burgers Afrique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lamb Burgers Afrique
    Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:13
I've posted this here because of the flavor profile. It is not actually a North African dish, and, in fact, is an original creation.

I usually make them as sliders, and serve them as part of a tapas or mezze table. But there's no reason not to make them full-sized.

MINI LAMB BURGERS AFRIQUE

1 lb ground lamb                                ½ cup dried dates, finely chopped

Salt & pepper to taste                       2 tbls Ras el hanout

2 tbls yogurt                                       Halloumi cheese, thinly sliced

Tzatziki for topping                           Olive salad for base (optional)

Mini pumpkin or sweet potato buns

Combine lamb, dates, salt, pepper, Ras el hanout and yogurt in a bowl.

Form balls using 2 heaping tablespoons of mixture. Flatten to make patties about ¼ inch thick. Lay a patty on work surface. Press a small square of Halloumi into center. Top with second patty, pressing to seal well.

Pan fry in a film of olive oil, 3-4 minutes per side.

Split buns. Spread a little olive salad on bottom half. Top with burger. Cover with tzatziki. Put top of bun in place.

Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:21
Thumbs Up Brook,
Stunning, brilliant burgers are a definite on my list once in the new apartment with a super huge terrace. We are moving this weekend so lots to pack and sort and also, to dispose of ... Big job.  

Thanks so much for posting. Just enchanted by such lovely Moroccan & Mediterranean ingredients and flavors in such a simple concoction, as a Burger ...

All my best always.
Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:29
    WOW!

I've got to say, when I heard you mention the lamb burger it sounded real good.  But I'm blown away after reading the recipe...it even sounds better than what I had thought.  The recipe really sounds outstanding...thanks!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:54
Aw, shucks, guys. Keep that up and I'll have to buy a bigger hat.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 11:11
Brook,

Today, you deserve a Stetson ... Cool ...

Speaking of chowders, when you can, I am looking for a real traditional authentic old time Manhattan Clam Chowder ...

Would be a perfect for this seasonal dip in temperatures in the early mornings ... I love tomatoes, so, if you have one, please do let me know, and I shall go to New England thread ... Thanks so much.

Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 12:24
Authentic? I dunno. Clams, potatoes, onions, red bell pepper, celery, spicy tomato broth, a shot of Worcestershire. That's pretty much it.

If V-8 is available in Spain, try using that as the base.

I like using littlenecks (your cockles would work great), and leave some of them in the shells just for the visual effect.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 12:31

Originally posted by Brook Brook wrote:

If V-8 is available in Spain, try using that as the base.

A second vote for V8 or similar juice as a base for anything like this, but that's another topic - Wink
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 15:33
Brook. Off 5, 6,7 and 8th for national holidays and my birthday. Your lamb burgers on list for sixth. Eighth is Scatto Matto, Checkmate, for Sardinian and regional Italian for my big 50th. Shall update. Mare.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 03:04
You sure stumped me this time Brook...Ras el hanout?????
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 04:17
Hoser. Moroccan spice mixture of about thirty basic spices, tumeric. cumin. smoked paprika . anise. allspice and twenty plus others. It is purchaseable blended. Margi.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 04:27
OK...like a Moroccan version of garam masala...I get it.
Thanks Margi
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 07:25
Very good analogy, Dave. As with garam masala in India, ras el hanout is one of the iconic flavors of North Africa. And, just as with garam masala, there are numerous versions of ras el hanout. Some of the older ones included as many as 50 ingredients, although 15-30 is more common.

Early British visitors, in particular, were intriqued with some of the older mixtures, because they contain what were thought to be aphrodesiacs.

Here's a version that uses commonly available ingredients:

Ras El Hanout

1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp anise seed
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tsp allspice berries
1 tsp cardamon seeds
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp corriander seeds
2 pieces of mace
2 pieces of cinnamon bark
2 tsp dried mint
1 dried red chili
1 tsp dried lavender
6 dried rosebuds, broken up

Using a mortar and pestle (or electric grinder if you must) grind all the spices to form a coarse powder. Stir in the lavender and rose petals. Mixture can be stored six months in an airtight container.

The version I use is a little different. This, btw, is the mixture I'd sent Ron awhile back, when we were introducing him to tastes of the Maghreb.

Brook's Ras El Hanout

2 tbls allspice berries
2 tbls black peppercorns
2 tsp mace
2 tsp nutmeg
10 cardamom pods
1 1/2 tsp coriander seed
1 tbls cumin seed
2 1/2 tbls dried gingerroot
1 tbls ground cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
5 rosebuds
1 clove
2-3 Japones chilis
2 tbls dried mint

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 07:48
Brook,

Thanks very much for posting. I purchase mine from a Moroccan Grocer in a Moroccan neighborhood, who only sells Cous Cous stored in oak barrels and Spices. Fab shop. If you are ever in Madrid Capital, I shall take you and the Mrs. there. 

Kindest.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 07:57
You realize, of course, that shops like that are how the Moors are recapturing Spain.

Bwaa,hahahahahahahaha
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 08:11
LOL Brook,

This is also why Spanish Architects and Construction workers are building Shopping Centres for international tourists all over Morocco !   

The Casablanca Shopping Centre is absolutely incredible. It was on the NEWS last summer.

Kindest regards,
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 05:45
So, Margi, did you get to make these?
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 09:32
Good Evening Brook,
I wish to take a moment to thank you for the heavenly Afrique Burger. Truly an air of hedonism !  The Moroccan Spice Mix, prepared by a lovely couple, was translated from your recipe into Spanish, and just to insure correctness, a friend translated it into Moroccan Arabic for me, and I also had translated it into French, so NO mishaps.

I shall spend some time over the wkend, with the Vet, posting some missing Photos on a few threads, which I had taken; however, need Fil´s assistance to get photos from cell phone to computer; then I am okay.

Thanks for posting as this shall be a regular visitor to the CINTRANO & DI TORRE home.
Margi.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 13:43
Time for a variation on the theme.

Due to her on-going salivary gland problem, Friend Wife still can't eat bread easily. But I wanted a change of pace dish, something she could eat. Decided to make stuffed Portobello caps, using this lamb mix. Worked like a charm.

After scraping the gills from the caps, I partially butter poached them. I let them cool, and filled them with the lamb mixture. A pound of lamb filled four large mushroom caps.

These were popped in the oven, at 350F, until the lamb was cooked through, 30-40 minutes.

For service, each cap went on a small plate, topped with tzatziki.

An elegant version of a plebian burger
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 13:59
Brook. I had made Meatballs with your recipe .. meze style for the olives .. feta .. tzatziki .. skordalia ... wonderful. Shall give The Mushrooms a shot too .. sounds magnificant.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 14:03
Bumping to tie in to this week's progressive dinner: http://www.foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/progressive-dinner-for-sept-26_topic3791.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic