Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > France
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Ham, Leek 3 Cheese Quiche

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ham, Leek 3 Cheese Quiche
    Posted: 10 October 2012 at 08:42
This quiche hails from a Bistro in Monmartre, located very close to the Dalí Museum, on Rue Lepic 102 in Paris. The taste profile is creamy, rich and fragrant of freshly home made dough. A stroll in Monmartre is a showcase for the finest in artistry and for centuries Monmartre Artists, have been turning ordinairy life into artforms. No matter how many times I have been to Monmarte there is always some fine nook and cranny or detail, some tiny grace note, that I had not noticed before. Walk a street, turn a corner, there is always something colonial, medieval or vanguard to surprise you.

Photo Courtesy: 123rf.  

Rue Lepic 102 Ham, Leek & 3 Cheese Quiche ...

3/4 POUND LEEKS ( 3 MEDIUM SIZE, WHITE AND PALE GREEN PARTS ONLY )
2 TBLSPS FRENCH CREAMY STYLE BUTTER ROOM TEMPERATURE
1/4 POUND SMOKED HAM OF CHOICE THINLY SLICED IN VIRUTAS (STRIPS)
3 OUNCES GRUYÈRE COARSELY GRATED ( 1 CUP )
3 OUNCES ITALIAN FONTINA / PROVOLONE COARSELY GRATED ( 1 CUP )
3 OUNCES BUFALA DI MOZZARELLA COARSELY GRATED ( 1 CUP )
3 LARGE EGGS
1/8 TSP. NUTMEG GRATED
1/4 TSP. FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1 3/4 CUPS CRÈME FRAÎCHE or CREAM
*** a 9 inch pie plate 
Note: one can sub 3 French cheeses of their choice.

PASTRY SHELL READY MADE OR HOME MADE ( your selection )

1) prebake the pie shell according to package directions or prepare a home made pie shell  and then remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350 farenheit ...  
2) halve the washed leeks lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces, and then wash well in bowl of chilled water
3) take out the sliced leeks and place in a Colander and pat dry
4) melt butter in a 10 inch skillet over moderate low heat, and sauté leeks, stirring occasionally until tender 8 to 10 mins.
5) line the warm pie shell with the sliced ham overlapping layers as necessary to cover the bottom and sides of the pie shell completely
6) toss the grated cheeses together and sprinkle evenly into the pie shell, and do not pack or press cheeses and then, spread the leeks evenly on top of the cheese
7) whisk the eggs together with the freshly ground pepper, salt, grated nutmeg until thoroughly combined
8) beat in the crème fraìche until totally smooth
9) carefully & gradually pour the egg mixture into the pie shell
10) cover the pie very loosely with foil and gently fold the edges over the crust
11) Place the pie shell on a baking sheet
12) bake until the centre is puffed and set 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours
13) cool on rack 1/2 hour before slicing and plating

SERVE WITH: SPINACH or CAESAR SALAD and a glass of wine of choice and crusty hot oven warmed bread ...

Enjoy,
Margaux  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 12:27
  Okay Margi, you've done it again!

It's been a while since I've made quiche...leeks, ham, cheese...an instant winner!  I'll be making it soon....yum!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Daikon View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 12:39
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

2) halve the washed leeks lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces, and then wash well in bowl of chilled water

Wash before cutting crosswise, being sure to get out all of the mud that likes to collect within the leeks.  If you cut before washing, you'll dull your knife on the grit.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 12:46
Dan and Daikon. Firstly thanks Dan for compliment. Its delicious.   Daikon Thanks for slicing advice.   Good point. Appreciate. Margi.      
Daikon View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 12:46
Originally posted by gonefishin gonefishin wrote:

Okay Margi, you've done it again!

It's been a while since I've made quiche...leeks, ham, cheese...an instant winner!  I'll be making it soon....yum!

Dan
Do yourself a favor and make a short dough crust instead of a pie crust.  It's actually easier than making a pie crust because you don't have to worry about keeping the butter cold, cutting it into the flour, avoiding overworking the dough, etc.  Just put similar proportions of the ingredients for a pie crust into a food processor or stand mixer, then let it run until you've got a smooth dough.  That will bake up into an equally tasty but more robust crust than a pie crust, which means that your quiche won't go soggy and floppy.  You can even keep the finished quiche refrigerated for a day or two, and successfully reheat individual portions in an oven or toaster oven as needed. 

And deeper quiches are much better than shallow ones....
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 12:57
Dan and Daikon. I believe Daikon had posted an excellent short dough crust for Tas and us. Could you advise which section it is located in. I believe Breads however I am uncertain at moment. Thanks. Margi.
Daikon View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 13:18
I don't remember exactly which tangent to which thread I posted it on, but the ingredients and proportions really are essentially the same as for a pie crust.  I'd make a pie crust with:

2 to 2.5 cups of AP flour (2 cups in the dough, rest for dusting work surface while rolling it out, etc.)
1 tsp salt
1/2 lb cold, cubed, unsalted butter
about 1/4 cup ice water
1 or 2 tsp sugar (if making a dessert pie)

Quiche shell is the same, just leave out the sugar.  Half the flour and all the salt into the mixer bowl.  Add the butter a small handful at a time while the mixer is on low speed.  When the butter is all added, increase the speed to medium until the butter is completely blended with the flour.  Then add the rest of the flour on low speed until it is just combined.  Add most of the water until the dough is smooth, not sticky.  Form it into a ball, wrap in plastic, flatten into a thick disk, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  Roll it out and bake it as you would a pie shell.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 13:36
Daikon, Buonasera,  
Thanks very much for posting the recipe. Very appreciated.    
Please note:  Tas posted your pastry dough and you posted all ur suggestions and it is in Breads Grains And Baking Section. 
Thanks again for recipe.
Margi.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 14:29
    I'll give it a try...interesting thought.

Thanks,
 Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:23
Dan,

Hope my note finds having a pleasant week.

I am off for 4 days, All Saints Day is bank holiday in Spain and thus, most companies have given their labor force, the Friday 2nd November too.

I hope you try the quiche and enjoy it. Let me know and would love to see your photos too of course.

Kind regards.
Margi.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic