Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Muffuletta Sandwich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffuletta Sandwich
    Posted: 10 October 2012 at 09:02
A Muffuletta is a wonderful sandwich.  You can find some wonderful examples of the sandwich in New Orleans.  One famous place, in particular, is The Central Grocery.  Oh, the smell of this sandwich is almost as heavenly as the taste.  I always thought about bringing one of these sandwiches back home, to Chicago, on an airplane.  Picturing myself feasting on it during the short flight, enjoying every bite.  But the smell...oh the smell!  It would fill the entire airplane, and quickly turn everyone against me causing quite a ruckus.  I've never done it...I'm just not that mean!

This sandwich does have a bit of recognition in New Orleans, and can be more specifically given credit to the Sicilian Immigrants of years ago.

For me, a good Muffuletta starts and finishes with the bread.  If it doesn't have the right texture, from crust to crumb, it is just another sandwich (albeit a good sandwich).  The recipe to follow is for the Muffuletta bread, sandwich and olive salad.  This recipe really nails what you will find in New Orleans, especially the bread recipe.  Though I have a few variations, credit goes to Danno, At NolaCuisine (please check out the website)

Muffuletta
  • 10" round Italian Bread (preferably with sesame seeds on top)
  • Olive Salad
  • 1/4 to 1/2lb Genoa Salami
  • 1/4lb Hot Capicola
  • 1/4lb Mortadella
  • 1/8lb sliced Mozzarella
  • 1/8lb provolone

Simply slice bread and assemble.

Olive Salad

• 1 1/2 cup (pitted) green olives
  • 1/2 cup Calamatta Olives
  • 1 cup Gardiniera
  • 3 Garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
  • 1/8 cup celery (thinly sliced)
  • 1 Tbsp Flat Parsley
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Fresh Oregano (or 2 1/2TBS Dried Oregano)
  • 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1/4 Cup Roasted Red Peppers
  • 1 Tbsp Green Onions (thinly sliced)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

Crush Olives in your hands and mix all the ingredients together (jar or bowl).  Pour 1 - 1 1/2 cup EVOO and let sit for a week.  I sometimes add a little squeeze of lemon and lemon zest to mine.

Muffuletta Bread Recipe

• 1 cup Warm Water (110f)
  • 1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar
  • 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup Bread Flour
  • 1 1/2tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Lard or Vegetable Shortening
  • Sesame Seeds
  • 3 Tbsp EVOO

Combine water, yeast, sugar (in bowl Of stand mixer) and let stand for 5-10 minute (should get foamy).  Combine flours, salt and lard in another bowl...combine fat/flour with your hands to get very small pieces.   With a dough hook on low, gradually add the flour mixture to the foamy yeast in the stand mixer.  Be sure to scrape the sides down to incorporate all of the flour into the mixture.  Once the dough comes together remove it from the bowl and knead it for 5-10 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic...add more flour if needed. 

Coat a bowl with olive oil, rub the bread and place the dough in bowl.  Cover loosely with a dry towel, or plastic wrap and let rise until double in size (60-90min).  Punch the dough down, and form into a flat 9" round loaf.  Place the dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet (I use parchment too), then sprinkle sesame seeds on top, press in lightly.  Preheat oven to 425f.   Loosely cover the loaf again, let rise to double (60min).  Brush the loaf with an egg wash and place in heated oven (425f) for 10 min.  Then turn heat down to 325f for an additional 20 minutes, or until golden brown (providing a nice hollow sound when tapped).  Take out and let on rack.  

Dan

Enjoy The Food!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 09:07
Dan,

On my next trip to see my Mom Eva and older daughter in St. Augustine / Miami Beach, let´s hook up with our spouses in New Orleans to have this wonderful Italian Sub or Hero as we call it in Little Italy, downtown Manhattan.

Thanks so much for posting this scrumptuous Hero ... Yum ...

Photo courtesy: dreamscime.com

Kindest.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 09:20
   Oh that picture looks good!

Margi, getting together, with our spouses,  in New Orleans does sound wonderful!  But it would be much easier if I lived there Smile
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 09:24
Dan,

True ... Chicago is a quite a trip from New Orleans ... However, one day ...

It would be fab ...

Yes, this looks fabulous, and I shall definitely prepare it ... The Club Gourmet Italian Section at El Corte Inglés carries all of the cold cuts and the cheeses are quite readily available as well.

Thanks so much for posting it and the " sin ", the bread !

Margi.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 09:25
Yowza - when I first read about this, it sounded REALLY good. Then, I clicked the link and saw the finished sandwich, with just a tantalizing peek at the olive salad.

SOLD!

Outstanding post on a local New Orleans specialty, Dan! This is one of those where I might have a little bit of difficulty with a couple of the ingredients (capicola and mortadella come to mind), but looking at the picture on Danno's site, plus Margi's above, I just might have to find a way next spring or summer.....

Come to think of it, I've dabbled a bit in charcuterie - perhaps a capicola and mortadella project is in order?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 09:36
Photo Courtesy: uncopyrighted public domain stock 123Rf.
Tas & Dan,

Some leftover Porchetta and Ham can work lovely too as  subs ...

However, Tas: preparing your own Mortadella and Capiccola sounds marvelous ...

This sandwich has impact Thumbs Up and thanks to Dan to posting his stunner version.

Oh yes, I had wanted to mention, and I believe I had, on THE SANDWICH THREAD in the BREAD, GRAINS SECTION that this hails from Sicilian immigrants 1906 who immigrated to New Orleans.

Kindest,
Margi. 
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 13:32
Nice image of eating a muffuletta on the airplane, Margi.

One question, though: Can you really finish off one of them by yourself? I've always figured a classic muffuletta as lunch for four. But that's just me.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 15:09
Brook. I can do half and save the other half for later ... This is big hefty hero or sub. And you. abrazos mar.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 15:27
I finally had to bring this picture over here, since I've been slobbering over it all day. With all due credit to NOLAcuisine.com, I've added it to the opening post, as well.

It looks like I should be able to come up with nearly everything for this project and it is slated for next spring, if I can wait that long.....

Judging by a couple of other recipes I looked at (such as the roast beef po' boy with debris gravy), I'll definitely be spending some time surfing on that site, and I recommend the same to anyone interested!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 15:33
Tas. I shall certainly have to share such a wonderful yet hefty sub. Looks yum. Mar.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 15:54
actually, i got to thinking, this would be perfect for SUPERBOWL SUNDAY, moving my timeline up at least 4 months!

hopefully, i can use the time between now and then to come up with ingredients, including mortadella and capicola, which are nowhere near chinook, montana. the only other "specialty" ingredient i see is gardiniera, and i believe i've seen that in the grocery stores in havre, 25 miles away. i'll check on the meats there, too, but i don't remember ever seeing them.

doing some cursory research it looks like, if necessary, i can substitute with bologna for the mortadella or ham (maybe proscuitto?) for the capicola. if this becomes necessary, i will - however, i'd prefer not to, and may see about ordering from amazon or some other source, and damn the cost.....
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 19:57
   Sounds great Tas, when should we be over LOL 

Do some research and find out if you can get all the products needed and let us know.  Bologna would be a fine substitute for mortadella.  Capicola is a dry cured pork shoulder with clove, juniper, rosemary flavors.   Coppa Cotta is a cooked version of the dry cured capicola.  But, if you are going with a cooked version...you may as well just make Margi's Porchetta!  Ham and prosciutto can be used as substitutes for capicola.

Heck, I have a taste for it now too!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 08:46
Tas and Dan,

As you can see on FOTO 2, there are 7 types of Italian Salami just in this foto alone !

A good Historical Pictorial on Charcuterie is in order ...

Wink Kind regards,
Marge.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 09:09
With a hunk of pork shoulder and a reliable, traditional recipe, I should be able to do the capicola with little trouble. I've made Romanian pastramă:

None of these were entirely perfect, since they were all first attempts, but I learned quite a bit during all projects, and can apply that to a capicola project.

For the mortadella, that's edging over into sausage territory, which I haven't done much of (very little, actually). I might end up buying that one (and in all honesty the capicola, too), but none of these obstacles are insurmountable.

I'll see what I can come up with - more later!

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 09:21
Tas. I have seen all your charcuterie and I am quite amazed by ur flair for this art. Superbowl is in February yes .. You have time to research and plan and I am sure ur menu shall be as always explemplary. Mar.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 10:04
   Very cool Tas!  Be sure to give us an update.

My brother has gotten quite good at sausage making, I'll ask him if he wants to share any recipes. 

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 07:24
Tas and Dan,

I have posted 3 useful websites with photos on the thread Tas has started in Italia.

Hope this assists.
Margi.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic