Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > Mexico and Central America
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Pot Roasted Pork with Chiles and Plantains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pot Roasted Pork with Chiles and Plantains
    Posted: 10 October 2012 at 13:11
   Here is a Mexican dish I make inspired from Rick Bayless's; Pot Roasted Pork with Yellow Chiles, Plantains and Piloncillo. 

I have made the dish exact...and it is wonderful.  But most times I make this dish I use the recipe only as a guide.  Using any chiles that look good and piling them into my enameled dutch oven.  Having everything cook within this one pot gives you a harmony of flavors.  But, what sets it apart, is cooking in the banana leaves.  The flavor and aromatics that are infused in the dish are unmistakable.

Roasted Pork with Chiles and Plantains 
  • Group of assorted chiles
  • Tomatillos (halved)
  • Garlic cloves (left in skin)
  • White Onion
  • 1-2 Plantain
  • Banana Leaves
  • 3-4lb Pork Shoulder
  • Brown sugar
  • Red onion (halved, sliced into half rings)
  • limes (quartered)

In an enameled Dutch Oven, add some fat and start browning your Pork Shoulder on all Sides.   Roast your peppers, white onion, garlic, halved tomatillos.  You can rub them with oil, then roast them on the grill.  In the over, under the broiler on a cookie sheet...Or in a skillet.  Remove them when they are blistering, set the white onion and garlic aside (peel now) and place the peppers in a bowl/covering the top with plastic wrap and let cool.  Once the peppers are cool you can peel the outer skin, and remove the stem/core/seeds.

Once the the roast is browned, and the vegetables are roasted, set them aside.  Lay your banana leaves on the bottom of your Dutch Oven draping over the sides in each direction (the leaf that lays over the side will later be folded over the top of the roast later).  Add your pork shoulder on top of the draped banana leaves.  Now add all of your onion, garlic...followed by the chiles and plantains.  Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar over the top and fold your banana leaves over the top.  Place the lid on the Dutch Oven and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 325f.  (should be fork tender)

Line your serving platter with fresh banana leaves.  Take the pork out and break into medium sized pieces onto serving platter.  Taste the juices and season with salt.  Add all the vegetables and juices over the pork shoulder (if there is too much juice, remove vegetables and reduce for a bit).  Garnish with the thinly sliced red onion and lime wedges.  Serve with warm tortillas and assemble how you like. 

Dan

Enjoy The Food!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 14:58
Photo Courtesy: 123 Rf.

Photo Courtesy: Fotosearch.

Photo Courtesy: Fotosearch.

Photo Courtesy: 123Rf.  

Dan, Buonasera,

I  wish to thank u for the lovely Yucatan wrapped method on this dish. Sounds delicious. Would be lovely with my double fried tostones or fried yuca with lime garlic mojo. 

Have you ever been to Rivera de Maya, Tulúm and Mérida or Cancún and Cozumel and the Mayan Pyramids ?

I highly recommend Tulúm ... it is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful and you shall encounter uncountable North American Expats there and stunner restaurants owned and operated by former New Yorkers.
Thanks for posting.
Mar.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 13:36
Dan,

Banana Wrapping is very popular and I have  a recipe called Mixiote De Carne which is Beef with Guajillo sauce baked in Banana leaves. It can also be prepared with Lamb.

The beef dish is prepared with beef short ribs and the lamb with lamb shoulder roast with bone in.

Shall try your´s first ... of course ...
Again, thanks for posting.
Margi. 
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 14:41
   Wow, the banana wrapped lamb sounds nice.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Food is wonderful!
  Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 14:49
Dan,

" All in moderation " ...

I agree with you totally ...

Yes, the Lamb caught my attention too ...

Best regards.
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 19:44
added a few pictures to the original post
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 01:51

Dan,

Sincé I have been so busy with my new website collaboration, and new English language magazine in France, I am writing for monthly plus The Guidepost, I have so Little time to visit.

However, I truly enjoy certain sections, of course to skim some of the interesting information, & récipes and post occasionally in France or Italy, Greece or Iberia, too.

I am going to be relocating next summer as well. So, there are so many hours in a day.

I absolutely love the plantain leaf wrapping idea and your new photographs. You have done a magnificant job with this ancient dish.

All my best,
Margaux.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 10:14
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Dan,

Sincé I have been so busy with my new website collaboration, and new English language magazine in France, I am writing for monthly plus The Guidepost, I have so Little time to visit.

However, I truly enjoy certain sections, of course to skim some of the interesting information, & récipes and post occasionally in France or Italy, Greece or Iberia, too.

I am going to be relocating next summer as well. So, there are so many hours in a day.

I absolutely love the plantain leaf wrapping idea and your new photographs. You have done a magnificant job with this ancient dish.

All my best,
Margaux.

Thanks for the kind words, Margi!  Yeah, the banana leaves really bring a flavor and aroma to this dish that is sorely missed without them.  It sounds as if you are extremely busy.  Best wishes with work and any future move.

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic