Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Curing of Meats, Charcuterie and Smokehouse Specialties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Spinach - feta sausage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinach - feta sausage
    Posted: 28 September 2011 at 06:04
I could have sworn that I'd posted this here, but I guess not since the search came up empty. Given Woody's questions on the other thread I thought I might as well post it up.

I started out with Ken's basic recipe and tweaked it some....added minced dehydrated onion, some special meat binder (sodium phosphate) and some ice cold white wine. 
Here are the spices from 12 o'clock : Pepper (fresh ground), kosher salt, basil, granulated garlic, meat binder and dehydrated onion.

Also minced up some spinach (frozen) and some fresh mushrooms 

Made a slurry with the spices and the ice cold white wine (chablis) and then mixed the heck out of everything and stuffed.

Did a fry pan test on the leftover in the stuffer and it got a great big thumbs up.

Thanks for looking, and I'm sorry it took me so damned long to post.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 03:15
Here is the recipe proper with all the measurements

3.5 pounds ground chicken
1 1/2 TBS Cracked black pepper ( or coarsely ground)
1 1/2 TBS Salt
1 1/2 TBS Dried Basil
1 1/2 TBS Granulated Garlic
4 oz. Chopped Mushrooms
5 oz. Chopped Spinach ( I used frozen)
6 oz. Feta Cheese
minced onion ...2 Tbsp

2.5 tsp special meat binder (optional)

Spice Slurry..... 3 oz. water used..
use 1 ounce liquid per pound?

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 03:58
Thanks so much Hoser. Sounds and looks wonderful.    What is cbp ingredient in abbreviation .. thanx Ciao Mar.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 08:26
Sorry Margi...CBP is cracked black pepper...original post will be edited to clarify.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 08:30
Hoser,

Cracked Black Pepper ...

Truly magnificant sausage recipe.

Thanks alot.
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 16:41
Hoser. I had mentioned to Ron that your Greek spinach feta sausages woiuld be phenomenal with ground lamb. Have you ever prepared with ground lamb? Mare.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 01:30
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Hoser. I had mentioned to Ron that your Greek spinach feta sausages woiuld be phenomenal with ground lamb. Have you ever prepared with ground lamb? Mare.

Not as of yet Margi...that is high up on my list of sausages to be made...a true Greek sausage. 
I will use lamb for sure, cheese will be either feta or kassari or both...fresh greens are a must as well, and perhaps I can incorporate kalamata olives in some way.

As you can tell I'm still very undecided what I'll use, but when it happens it will be posted here for sure.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 03:09
Thanks Hoser. This shall be a vacation first sausage project. Tas has provided us with some exemplary details on a Czek Manufacturer Grinder. We may consider borrowing a Farmer friend's for this 1st chapter and research prices on the Czek model. The Vet shall handle this department! Kind regards and thanx for stunner recipe. Margi.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 16:22

Hoser. I had mentioned to Ron that your Greek spinach feta sausages would be phenomenal with ground lamb. Have you ever prepared with ground lamb? Mare.

Oh yea, that's a great idea!
Mark R
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 17:00

Mark,

I understand that milk fed grass grazed baby lamb has become quite expensive in the USA ... I have a friend in Los Angeles ...

However, none the less, lamb would be perfect for this sausage of HoserĀ“s ...

Off, as it is 1am here ...

Mare.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 02:13
Originally posted by MarkR MarkR wrote:

Hoser. I had mentioned to Ron that your Greek spinach feta sausages would be phenomenal with ground lamb. Have you ever prepared with ground lamb? Mare.

Oh yea, that's a great idea!

The spinach -feta gig with lamb is on the top of my tube steak to-do list Mark. It's just that the price of lamb has been so outrageous around here lately...I'm hoping someone will have it on sale just before Easter, and I'll be able to take a shot at it.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 04:14

Hoser,

A lady friend of mine mentioned that milk fed baby lamb is so expensive in Los Angeles, California; about $17 - $18 a pound ...

That is on pricey side ... It is 10 Euros - 11 Euros a Kilo here in Spain ... same in Italia more or less; depending where you purchase. We always drive up to Abruzzi for our Easter lamb roast ...

Hopefully, just in time for Easter week, prices shall decrease somewhat ...

Margi.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 11:27
I just came from the grocery. A bone in leg was $16lb. Strange, I can buy whole lamb for $3.02lb(frozen), just cannot use it all at once. I would love to smoke a whole lamb....but it's just me!
I guess I could butcher it and freeze it. Hmmmm, that's a thought! I generally don't like to re-freeze things buttt.
Mark R
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic