Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Hungary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Dracula's 2012 Paprika Hendl Dinner Party! - Event Date: 28 October 2012 - 03 November 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 07:22
youch - sorry to hear about that, rod ~ i know that the paprika makes the dish in this case, but were you able to salvage anything?

i checked my hungarian paprika at home that i got in billings, and it is indeed the exact same brand you mentioned (pride of szeged). i'm looking forward to giving it go with various dishes.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 10:51

It must have been such great fun for the viewers only when Vlad visited the villages. Lots of heads rolled and bodies were shown on wooden sticks. Guess where I found my inspiration?

I didn't use chicken but turkey for the simple reason it was on promotion yesterday. Of course chicken breast will do as well.

I started by slicing strips from this turkey filet and added 1/2 cup of sunflower oil and 1 teaspoon of tandoori masala and 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika.

If you overdose any of these, especially the La Chinata smoked stuff, it will all taste horrible! Let that marinate for around 3 hours, time is not that important. The tandoori is a combo of a lot of spices with... a bit of red coloring, check the ingredient list on storebought tandoori masala! So, the meat will color nicely bloody red (pardon my french). Later on, "zigzag" the meat on wooden skewers, Vlad style. The skewered meat was simply panfried in oil, not cooked in the sauce!

The sauce: I must say this came out sensational! I used equal parts fresh RED bell peppers (we call them paprikas!) and fresh tomatoes. Start by sweating some shopped shallots and 2 whole cloves of garlic, add shopped bell peppers, add a teaspoon of tomato paste, a teaspoon of flour and let simmer while stirring. Add a good dash of dry vermout and let the alcohol evaporate. Add fresh tomatoes, some chicken stock, a deseeded mild red chili and absolutely no more than 1/4 teaspoon of smoked La Chinata Spanish paprika. add 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar to cut through the sweetness of the peppers. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes; mine went on for nearly 50 minutes on very low fire. Then mix well and push through a sieve.

Cut some little round "heads" out of potato with a parisienne spoon (you may know this instrument better as a melon spoon), boil, leave to cool entirely and later on, fry in oil before serving.

I also used a yellow and green paprika, sorry, bell pepper, peeled and cut into brunoise, then shortly fried in olive oil.

I also made a simple crumble with Cobourg ham, panko breadcrumbs and chopped parsely. Fry in a little olive oil and put in the oven at very low temperature to dry.

Last but not least; sour cream. I forgot to buy some. No problem. The day before, stir some lemon juice in a cup of single cream, stir and put in the fridge. Best sour cream ever...

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 10:59
Very nice and shows there are other very good brands of paprika. Good job!
Hungry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:01
Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

Later on, "zigzag" the meat on wooden skewers, Vlad style.

I LOVE it! the skewers, especially the top one, even look like little people hunched over.

Even though this dish isn't originally intended to be used with smoked paprika, it can certainly add an element toward the final desired effect, as you have shown - Incredible imagination and, as always, great photography ~

Very interesting and unique take on this Chris. You certainly pushed the envelope while staying with the theme. Impressive!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:08
Thanks guys, and yes Rod, if you can get your hands on that smoked spanish paprika, it's fantastic but to be used in minimal doses. The product is called "pimenton de la Vera"; La Chinata is a good brand but there are others, equally good. 
Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:13
Love the skewers! Plans are rearranged for this week so hopefully I will get to this soon! Perhaps it can be my Dia de los muertos meal...especially if I use Spanish paprika! I have 90% of the ingredients. My sour cream didn't come in (we order direct from the dairy) so I'll have to stop by the store.
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:18
Thank you Marissa and good luck with your try-out.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:20
Rod,

If you cannot find any La Vera Pimentón = Spanish Smoked Paprika from La Vera, Extremadura, Spain; and you PM me your home address; I shall send you a large tin of it. 

I believe many of our members who live in or near a major city with large Latin American communities have access to Latin American grocery shops and can do same.  

Kind regards,
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:24
also, rod - it was goes on sale at www.latienda.com now and then for an incredible price. just recently, i paid 1.99$ US total for two tins exactly like the one in chris's post.

Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:56
A very kind offer, Margi. Thanks for that. Let me first look around here and see what I can find.

Tas, I saved the chicken, but the sauce was a waste. I made tacos from the meat. They were OK.
Hungry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 12:49
rod - sorry to hear that it didn't work out, but i can understand why you chose to not serve the dish with an inferior sauce. kudos for your integrity and your resourcefulness.

Daikon View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 14:19
I love the Vlad the Impaler connection to the skewers, Chris.  I'll have to remember that one.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 14:52
There are eight grades of paprika in Hungary. From 'special' at one end to 'hot' at the other. The exquisite delicacy type as is the Pride of Szeged brand, is a couple of steps down from special. The only place I found on the internet that has what they are calling special, or Különleges in Hungarian, is a place called Penzeys. I would have to see the stuff to believe it though. I'm thinking of ordering some. Maybe.

Hungry
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 13:36
I tried de-boning a chicken per the Pepin video. It's not as easy Jacques makes it look. I might get that job done in the minute he says it takes after about 20 tries within a week. I got it done, but it took me maybe 10 minutes.

I also ordered some "special" grade Hungarian paprika and some Turkish bay leaves from Penzeys online. I called and the lady that answered assured me it was the real "special" grade paprika, although she couldn't tell me if it was this years harvest or when it was produced. We'll see.

Hungry
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 03:13
 have yet to make this dish, but when I do I will use my homemade pimenton...it's pretty easy to make with a cold smoker and a wire mesh splatter screen.
Go ahead...play with your food!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:19
   Nice job Chris!  I love the spin you put on it with the skewers.  Looks delicious!!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:26
   Okay, I'm getting ready to put together this dish at work.  I'll be putting a little of my own influences into the dish.  I'm going to try and do little different to the sauce/chicken.  But I plan to serve it with rice.  In the rice I've got an abundance of green peppers, red peppers, garlic and Hungarian wax peppers (decent heat).  I plan to mix the vegetables in a manner I do with fried rice, cooking the rice before...letting cool...then combining the vegetables.  I also crisped up all the chicken skin, which I'll also add to the rice.

Enjoy The Food!
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:31
Thanks Dan, looking forward to see your work!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:37
looks like a great start, dan - do i detect a hint of "hunky cajun" in this interpretation?

looking forward to seeing the results!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:17
Thanks Tas and Chris!
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

looks like a great start, dan - do i detect a hint of "hunky cajun" in this interpretation?

looking forward to seeing the results!

Wink   Maybe just a little cajun.

My thinking was to leave the main body of the dish original and accent with the rice.  Normally I'd cook everything into the rice making the rice the star of the dish.  But because I didn't want the rice to be the star, I decided to add the peppers, garlic, chick peas, chicken skin,  etc into it...after the rice was cooked.  Leaving the main star to be the chicken and sauce.  we'll see...

I wanted so much to add some andouille or chorizo and some chicken livers...but I held back Cry

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic