Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Hungary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Dracula's 2012 Paprika Hendl Dinner Party! - Event Date: 28 October 2012 - 03 November 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:19

A note on my contribution this year: as some of you know, the TasunkaWitko family has been slapped pretty hard these last few weeks with various challenges to our available time and our finances; as a result, I've decided to combine two projects into one and will be making my paprika hendl for this year following Rod's awesome (and frugal) technique for Paprikás Csirke and nokedli, since this is something I've been wanting to try since I first saw it. I had some new and interesting ideas for this year, especially after seeing recent interpretations, but no worries, now I have a year to think them through and develop them.

I might see about a side item or two in order to put a little colour on the plate and to branch out a bit, but the core (the chicken and dumplings) will be following his lead very closely in order to preserve the integrity of the technique and the family history that he lovingly provided.

Hopefully my contribution will get made within the next week, possibly two - behind schedule, I know, but late is better than never!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:26
Dan - just caught your reply ~

It sounds like a great way to go, and actually, it seems to me that a hint of "dirty Hunky" in the rice wouldn't hurt anything ~ no need to hold back, let the creative juices flow!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:28
And just for the record, Dan, Chicken Liver Paprikas is, itself, a great dish. So if you want to add some to the chicken dish, go for it!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:37
Dan Gone Fishin,

So far looking good; and look forward to your take on this dish.

Best of luck with it,
Kind regards.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 13:05
   Thanks Tas, Brook, Margi...

I was cooking this dish at work, so I wasn't able to go out for any additional ingredients if I wanted to. 

The Chicken (leg quarters) and sauce was made to adhere to the recipe, with small additions of bay leaves and a whole clove of garlic thrown in to simmer in the sauce...and a squeeze of lemon juice at the end.  But it all started by rendering the chicken fat from the skin, then crisping the skin up and saving for the rice...to be added later.

The rice was cooked ahead of time and cooled/set aside.  The vegetables were lightly sauteed (in chicken fat) and set aside.  Vegetables used were green pepper, red pepper, Hungarian yellow pepper (w/slight heat), garlic.  Once it was close to serving time I heated up the various peppers, added the cooked rice and gently folded to combine.  Both fresh parsley and chick peas were added near the very end.  Just before serving I topped the rice with crisp chicken skin pieces. 

A nice crusty bread (with olive oil) was served beside the rice and Hendl.

Nothing fancy...but maybe a little different spin, as we all add to our cooking. 

The finished result?  I was actually a bit surprised at this dish, I thought it would have way too much paprika in it.  But the paprika was cut way down as the chicken simmered...then with the addition of the sour cream mixture...it needed the rest of the paprika added.  This was really a very tasty dish...I loved the Hendl.  This is really a very versatile dish, as we're seeing with the different variations.

Thanks Tas!

Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 13:13
nice! i really like the colour in the rice, and the simple presentation with the bread. i'm guessing the garbanzo beans added some texture to the rice, as well?

excellent interpretation and very glad you liked it! the "paprika hendl dinner party" is quickly becoming one of my favourite forum traditions!
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 13:38
Such creativity around here! Well done!
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 13:57
Thanks Rod and Tas for the kind words...

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

nice! i really like the colour in the rice, and the simple presentation with the bread. i'm guessing the garbanzo beans added some texture to the rice, as well?

excellent interpretation and very glad you liked it! the "paprika hendl dinner party" is quickly becoming one of my favourite forum traditions!

Yes, the garbanzo beans added a nice texture to oppose the rice and peppers...as did the crispy chicken skin.  After you mentioned the presentation, I was thinking about it...and noted that it is very much like me to present in this simple manner.  Looking at it, this was inadvertently served in the same way that I would serve smothered chicken (pork chops) along side some dirty rice.  Only difference is the bread would have been either cornbread or a more airy crusty variety.

Again, this was fun...thanks!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 04:43
Very nice work, Dan! I like the idea of -what I would call- making a "fresh paprika soffrito" first and then add the cooked cold rice and finally add a different crunchy texture with the crisped chicken skin, which addition lifts the preparation to a higher level. It leans somewhat towards the fried rice method, using cold previously boiled rice, and I'm sure this procedure creates a fantastic taste... and that's what good cooking is all about.

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 04:57
Dan GF    Lovely Medit. touch. Great job. Thanks for posting. Mar.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 14:30
   Thanks for the kind words Chris and Margi.  That's what I love about this place...there are TONS of inspirational recipes posted from all over the world!  
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 18:19
Late is better than never! Here's my 2012 entry: a traditional Hungarian version of this dish with home-made nokedli:

This plate pays homage to Rod's family recipe; more photos and details, along with step-by-step recipe and Rod's method here:

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2013 at 10:34
The dish looks great Tas!  You're making me really hungry with that nokedli on the plate as well...are they like spatzle I presume?   YUM, YUM!

Love the plate too!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 17:42
Hey, Dan -

Yep, from what I can see, nokedli and spätzle are essentially the same thing, especially when you consider that recipes vary from villag- to-village and house-to-house ~

Thanks for the kind words ~ it wasn't technically perfect, but the best home cooking gets its perfection from the love that goes into it! Hug
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 08:37
   With colder weather approaching...I think I need to make this one again soon!
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 18:17
I think you're right, Dan! I'll definitely revive this tradition in October, but the truth is anytime is a god time to make this!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic