Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Polenta: northern Italy staple food

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 13:16
Dan. Sounds delicious. On list for November . Thanks again for posting.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Souvlaki View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Souvlaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 02:46

Big smile nice Luca :) 

I love polenta, but my favorite version is Polenta Carbonara, as they name this dish in Croatia. 

Cook the polenta as recomended on the package, place a baking paper in a baking pan, pour the polenta, even with a spoon and leave it to get cold.
Now place slices of fried pancetta and grated Parmesan cheese on the top, Bake on 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. 

It is great served with a glass of yogurt or red vine. 
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 03:02
Souvlaki,

MARVELOUS ... Divino ... Shall give your baked Polenta a definite try too ...

The twins love Polenta, so when we go up to Zürich for Christmas, your Carbonara and Dan´s Pizza shall definitely be on the lunch list, for the kids.

Thanks so much for your contribution and feedback,
Ciao, Margi.
Luca Lazzari View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luca Lazzari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 03:14
Originally posted by Souvlaki Souvlaki wrote:

Big smile nice Luca :) 

I love polenta, but my favorite version is Polenta Carbonara, as they name this dish in Croatia. 

Cook the polenta as recomended on the package, place a baking paper in a baking pan, pour the polenta, even with a spoon and leave it to get cold.
Now place slices of fried pancetta and grated Parmesan cheese on the top, Bake on 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. 

It is great served with a glass of yogurt or red vine. 

Thanks Souvlaki. I think I'll try a mix of the different methods. I'm thinking about baking polenta, making a cream with sweet gorgonzola, disassembling and grilling the meat from pork sausages. Then top baked polenta with warm cheese cream, top with minced grilled pork, add a sprinkle of pepper and go for it.
Not exactly a light dish, I must say LOL
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luca Lazzari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 05:45
Friends,
talking about polenta I just received an invitation to a "polenta day", organized by a local winemaker, here in my homeland province of Pavia. I met him through a website of mine (and my friend Cristina's) about local food and eating.
The title of the event is: "A tavola coi due re: re Mais e re Maiale"
Which translates more or less into "At the table with two kings: king Maize and king Pork".

Here is the menu:

Starters: plate of mixed cold cuts and polenta phantasy

Polenta, beans and pancetta
Polenta with mushrooms and sausage
Polenta with brasato (braised meat)
Polenta and frittura (mixed fried food)

Dessert: maize cake

Different wines will be offered for each serving.

I know it, it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it... LOL

ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 03:57

Hi Luca, here's a dish with polenta posted here earlier. Here it is;

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/ossobuco-milanese-style-gremolata-polenta_topic2106.html

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 04:29
www.polenta2012blogspot.com

Buon Giorno Luca,

Thought you would find Monica´s Blog on Polenta and Veneto of interest. 

Ciao, sempre, abraccios,
Margaux.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 04:40
   Looks really good Chris!

Margi, thanks for the link to the Polenta blog...I'll check it out shortly.

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luca Lazzari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 05:01
Originally posted by ChrisBelgium ChrisBelgium wrote:

Hi Luca, here's a dish with polenta posted here earlier. Here it is;

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/ossobuco-milanese-style-gremolata-polenta_topic2106.html

Thanks ChrisBelgium, ossobuco is one of my favorites, it's a typical dish from Milano which I simply LOVE. Not to talk about gremolata (or, better, gremolada). And I'm a lucky man, because my relatives don't like to suck the marrow of the bone, while I find it simply delicious LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic