Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Canning, Freezing, Dehydrating and Other Food Preservation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sauerkraut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sauerkraut
    Posted: 26 October 2012 at 18:05
My most basic recipe for making fermented sauerkraut is this:

Shred or chop cabbage (green or red) putting about 1 Tablespoon of canning salt (non iodized salt) for each 2 lbs of cabbage.
It's best to do this outside so cabbage doesn't go flying all around the kitchen floor.
Cabbages do fly!Wink
Mash the cabbage down until the liquid given off covers the cabbage (or add some distilled water).
I use a 5 gallon bucket, food safe, and cover it with a plate to push the cabbage below the water level and a zip lock bag of water+salt to hold it down.

Depending on the temperature, it will ferment over 2 weeks or more. It will be sour and crunchy and it is a wonderful addition to sandwiches. This can be kept cool in a basement for months.

I can it, jar it, by pasteurizing it for 30 minutes at 180 degrees F in a water bath canner. It loses some of the crunchiness but the flavor is great. I like a little brighter flavor so I use pint jars and I add 2 Tablespoons of vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt as an addition.

Kimchi is made with the same method--many different ingredients and spices and I store it in the refrigerator.

If you've never made your own sauerkraut or kimchi--give it a try.
Sauerkraut in reubens, baked with pork chops, warmed up with a little sour cream, good stuff.
~Feather
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 19:17
Yum!
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 09:18
Yum, I agree, it's mild and lovely!
I have part of a 5 gallon bucket I'm going to can today again--and that will be the end of my cabbage endeavor for this fall. We shan't be short of sauerkraut!

Edited: I canned 14 pints last night, and I have about another 14 pints to can today and then I'm done!!! Hooray!!! ~Feather
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 10:48
I was thinking, Margi--are you making sauerkraut? Is it done yet?

Since the holidays are approaching I wanted to share this recipe:

Sauerkraut Balls
Here is the recipe:
In a mixing bowl.
1 quart drained chopped sauerkraut
1 lb pork sausage
1/2 C. chopped onion (fine)
3 oz. cream cheese (warm)
1 t. mustard
1/2 t. salt (depends on sauerkraut saltiness)
1/4 t. pepper
2 eggs
1/2 C. flour

Make into golf ball sized balls, rolled in egg/milk mixture (if dry), then rolled in fresh bread crumbs. If the mixture is wet, roll in fresh bread crumbs.
Fry in a cast iron frying pan with about 1/3 inch oil, turn when brown, brown the other side. Keep hot in a pan in the oven until they are all fried and cooked through. (can be deep fried)

Serve with a dipping sauce of mayo and mustard, or Miracle whip and mustard. (yellow or brown depending on your taste)

I'm going to make some during the holidays, Enjoy! ~Feather
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 10:54
Feather,

I have the Curly dark green cabbage variety fermenting and the violet Lombarda cabbage variety fermenting now.

Thanks for the sauerkrat ball recipe; and I believe this shall go very well with the Violet variety, as I want to do the Slovakan recipe of Tas´ stuffed cabbage with the dark green curly variety. Shall photograph this week.

Thanks, it sounds like fun.
Mare.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 02:28
What a fun sounding and different recipe that is!
It would be a great appetizer or part of a hot and cold buffet, which I usually put out on Christmas Day. 
 Thanks for sharing Feather.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 06:35
Feather: I would like to sub the packaged cream cheese for homemade Ricotta or fresh goat cheese. Have you ever prepared with fresh goat cheese or Ricotta ?    These kraut balls and Brook's Sausage Pecan Balls can be alot of fun served as interntl tapas appetisers. TU for posting. MC
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 08:22
I've always used cream cheese because that is what I have in the refrigerator. I think either the goat cheese or ricotta would be just fine instead of cream cheese if that is what you have.
The red cabbage will make it interesting and colorful, I like that. Go for it. ~Feather
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 11:42
Feather,

I think the herbed goat cheese could be quite lovely with the sweeter violet cabbage and some piquant & sweet Italian and Spanish sausages ... Yes !  I shall post a photo of goat cheese I have in mind. Goats here nibble alot of herbs, mosses, flowers, ferns, and grasses ... So with this in mind, this can be quite lovely.

Thanks for ur reply and feedback.
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 11:54
Galician Designation of Origin Cheese, Cebreiro Goat Cheese and
and Cow Milk blend fresh variety.

Feather,

This is one of the fresh cheeses I have in mind. It is noted for its Chef Hat Shape.

Wonderful and very pleasant yogurt like aromas. Sort of a cream cheese consistency too.

Thanks again,
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 08:43
Feather,

Good News, is that my fermenting Curly Green Cabbage in small jar, smells wonderful, and should be ready to incorporate into the stuffed cabbage recipe of Ron´s from Slovakia.

The Violet as well, is a day or two older ... thus, also for your Kraut Balls ...

Took photos today; and shall upload photo to Photo Bucket and on Friday, the Vet shall upload the cell phone fotos to the computer for me ...

Just updating,
Margi. LOL 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 09:59
As promised, here is photo of jar upside down ... It is tasty, very tasty ...

THANKS, AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS,

Margi
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 20:17
This is something I would love to make. 

Alas, my sons hate sour cabbage with a passion. I keep trying.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 07:09
AK1, nice to meet you.
The sourness of a fermented sauerkraut is milder and less 'bright', than the sauerkraut you buy in the jars or cans in the grocery stores.
If you are serving it hot, you can temper the sourness with a little dollop of sour cream or cream.

Another good cabbage recipe, sweet sour cabbage (I use red), cabbage shredded, apples peeled and cored then cut in slices, onions in slices, fried up with butter, then a little vinegar and some sugar or honey, season with a pinch of salt and pinch of pepper. An excellent side with hot sausages or pork chops. Best wishes, ~Feather
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic