Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Beverages
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Holiday Season Sipping Wines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holiday Season Sipping Wines
    Posted: 02 November 2012 at 07:44

Buonasera Ladies & Gents,

Let´s chat about, what are you sipping this Thanksgiving ? Are you serving various wines paired for  each course ? Shall you be sipping one favorite from the appetisers / starters throughout the meal ? Red ? Rosé ? Sparkling ? Dessert Wine ? or White ?

I had just finished a wonderful article on Washington State Sommeliers, Shayn Bjornholm and Tysan Pierce, whom had discussed Pinot Noir Washington State Designation of Origin as being one of the top Mono Grape Varietals for excellent Pairing with Thanksgiving roast turkey, and a variety of sweet, sour, savoury notes from all the sides; and thus, I am sure, that those on the West Coast and in Western states, may be able to suggest some Pinot Noir Grape Wines.

Look forward to hearing from all of you, on which wines shall go with your bird and trims ?

Here are some affordable USA, South American, European and other designation of origin wines,  that are highly recommendable. All of these are available in The USA.

Let us know your recommendations this season. Would enjoy hearing your point of views.

*** WHITES:

1) MAIOR DE MENDOZA SUR LIE: white floral and mineral notes. Approx. $13.00 USD. This white is 100% Albariño Grape Mono Varietal and hails from Galicia, Spain.

2) BURGÁNS:  mango and papaya subtle with smoky notes. Approx. $14.00 USD.

3) PAZO SEÑORANS ALBARIÑO: this luscious Galician Spanish white imparts tropical and peach notes.
Approx. $ 25 USD.

4) MAR DE FRADES ALBARIÑO: this is a peach and honey with citrus aromatic white of 100% Albariño grape variety from Galicia. Approx. $ 25.00 USD.

5) MARTIN CODAX: This Rias Baixas white is fragrant with aromas of apricot, minerals, and yet is crisp and clean. Approx. $ 15.00 USD.

*** REDS:

1) Bodegas Bilbainas Vicalanda Reserve: This wine for approx. $20.00 USD is a La Rioja exemplary red, and imparts, chocolate, cherry and cinammon. Lovely wine for the money.

2) El Coto de La Rioja: Vanilla and cherry matices with smooth tannins. Approx. $20.00 USD.

3) Marqués de Varga. An intense crianza, oak aged Red from La Rioja, has anise, black pepper and and dark cherry fruit aromas and notes. $24.00 USD approx.

4) Bodegas Muga - La Rioja: This bodega produces some of the best wines in La Rioja; a lush earthy style Rioja Red, with coffee and blackberry notes. Approx. $ 26.00 USD.

5) Bodegas Faustino - La Rioja:  A lighter Rioja which imparts plum aromas and a subtle spicy finish.
$32.00 - $ 35.00 USD approx.

6) Bodegas Miguel Torres:  LA CORONA ... This is a phenomenal oak aged wine from the Penedès, Barcelona D.O. and has been a favorite at Spanish, Basque and Catalan Weddings and special events.

7) Designation Of Origin: Penedès, Barcelona Red Wine: SANGRE DE TORO ...
Now, for those of you who want to prepare Oxtail, this is the wine to employ.

*** CAVAS & SPARKLING WINES ...

1) Prosecco :  Prosecco di Valdobbiadene: Cá Salina - D.O. Veneto, Italia.

2) Lambrusco: Donna Vebaldià - D.O. Emilia Romagna, Italia.

*** D.O. SANT SADURNÌ DI ANOIA, BARCELONA CAVAS: 

3) Anna de Codorniu Sparkling Wine or Cava.

4)  Juve y Camps Cava

5)  Freixenet

SPARKLING APPLE CIDER - LOW ALCOHOL 5%:

6) Sidra El Gaitero - The Bag Pipe Player - Asturias, Spain Designation of Origin.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 07:59
The beautiful Mrs. Tas isn't much of a wine drinker, so for us it will probably be Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider, which is always a fall favourite.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 08:10
Tas,

A very lovely selection indeed. I too, like Sparkling Cider from the Asturias, Spain Designation of Origin.

Where is Martinelli produced ?

Thanks so much for your contribution.

I have had to find some photos for the post, and thus, I am returning to upload and provide some Chilean and Argentinian Reds, and a stunning Cava, my favorite, Juve y Camps, which is one of the world´s oldest sparkling wine producers employing  the Champagne method.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 08:12
According to their website, Martinelli's is from Watsonville, California ~ really good stuff.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 08:28
Tas,

I am sure it is very refreshing, pairs well with a wide variety of dishes and Tapas / Starters too, and it has approx. 5% alcohol and a gorgeous light sparkling bubble.

I often have Asturian El Gaitero ( The Bag Pipe Player ) brand on hand.

It is very common in Latin American Grocery Shops in the USA too.

Are you aware of this Brand El Gaitero ?

El Gaitero has produced a lovely 5% alcohol Cava made with Apple Cider. Lovely too.  

Asturian El Gaitero Cider prepared in the
Champagne Method - Black Bottle.

Kindest,
Margi.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 08:32
I've heard of El Gaitero, but living in Siberia, have never seen it. Next trip to Great Falls or Billing, I will keep a lookout for it, but since there isn't any Latin population in Montana to speak of, I may have to order it.

The Martinelli's is non-alcoholic and works very well for cooking, but is even better as a beverage.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 08:40
Tas,

True --- I had posted 2 recipes in the French Section employing Cider; a pork dish and a chicken in Sidra, which is Cider in Spanish from Asturias.

I shall check with www.elcorteingles.es  and  www.lavinia.es  as they carry some California wines, Sparling Wines and Ciders, and USA Beers too.

It provides a lovely fragrance with apple and pork or chicken dishes. Very nice sweet and sour notes.

If you find, El Gaitero Black Bottle and Black Label, purchase a bottle. It is stunning and prepared in the Champagne Method. I believe it does have 5% alcohol.

See photos above of the bottles from Asturias. Thanks so much for your contribution and feedback.

Kindest. Margi.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic