Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Hornazo de Salamanca

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornazo de Salamanca
    Posted: 04 November 2012 at 02:13

Pan Hornazo ( www.panhornazo.com)

HORNAZO DE SALAMANCA = STUFFED BREAD ... HORNO, DENOTES THE OVEN ...  

Buenas Días, Good Morning,

Castille León ( Castilla León ) often called the land of bread or the bread belt of Spain, Tierra de Pan, because of its fine wheat, has uncountable breads and pastries both savoury and sweet.

The HORNAZO de Salamanca dates back to the reign of King Felipe II ( 1540s - 1598 ), and is filled with sausage, charcuterie, ham and / or bacon with hard boiled eggs. It is prepared for Easter throughout this region traditionally, however there are numerous modern versions too. However, this pastry is eaten in Salamanca on the Monday after Easter traditionally.

Why Monday and not Easter Sunday ?

During the ruling King, Felipe II during the 1500s, he had ordered the Prostitutes of Mancebia of the city of Salamanca to leave the city for Lent. Thus, " Padre de Putas", a very caring,  generous man, would insure that when the Ladies of the Night, returned to the city, that were given a portion of home baked warm Hornazo, on Lunes de Aguas ( Mondays of Water ). This tradition is still celebrated in the province of Salamanca.

*** Here is the recipe ...

*** FILLING ( pastry dough recipe below ):

3 ounces of Spanish or Italian Sweet Sausage
4 ounces of Spanish or Italian style Ham or Pancetta
2 hard boiled eggs
1 whole raw egg

*** the original recipe was made with: sausage, pork loin ( lomo ) and sausages.

1) Knead the dough lightly after it has risen fully and press out onto a flat rectangular board. Slice the sausages, ham and hard boiled eggs into bite size viruta strips or very finely in slices.

2) roll up and form into a Loaf shape and prepare several slashes diagonally across the top and place on floured baking sheet.

3) bake in a pre heated oven, 425 degrees farenheit, or 220 degrees centigrade for 45 minutes.

4)  to test to see if loaf is done, turn upside down & tap on bottom and it should have hollow sound.

5) cool completely before slicing.

*** THE DOUGH INGREDIENTS :

1 egg
25 grams fresh yeast
5 grams of sugar ( 1 tsp. )
10 grams salt ( 2 tsps. )
1/8 tsp. Colorante Yellow
100 Ml. White Wine ( preferably a dry white Spanish variety or Dry Sherry )
500 grams of flour All Purpose
200 Ml. Water
50 Ml. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
25 grams of Manteca de Cerdo ( Pork Lard - obtainable from your Butcher )

THIS IS A TYPICAL YEAST EMPANADA DOUGH FOR SAVOURY EMPANADA PIES IN CASTILLA LEON AND GALICIA ...

1) Dissolve the yeast in 2 tblps. of lukewarm water and then stir in the flour and let stand 10 mins.

Then, sift the flour ... on a work board, and make a well in the centre, and add the yeast mixture and mix it lightly ... Add the evoo very gradually and then add salt and cover with flour, and mix again.  

***  very gradually pour in the Evoo drizzle by drizzle, the liquds and work to a smooth dough, adding more water as needed.

3) knead until smooth and then, wrap in plastic wrap chill for 30 mins.

4)  roll out very thinly and then, fold the pastry 3 times

5) Roll and fold again

6) repeat this rolling and folding 4 times and you shall create a very thin pastry dough and then, place in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 hour

7) repeat this 3 times in order to creat a light pastry empanada savory tart dough

8) chill the plastic wrapped dough and then, you shall fill the dough in layers and glaze with egg and bake

Photo Courtesy: Albert Gonzalez: www.albertogonzalez.net

Serve with an ice cold beer or glass of Spanish or Chilean style red wine

Enjoy.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 05:48
This looks like something I'd love to eat for breakfast.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 06:46
Melissa,

This is quite a classic savory pastry in the historical university city of Salamanca, Castilla León. There are a variety of fillings to fit all palates too.

Thanks for your compliments. In Spain, it is eaten between 10.30 11.30 am at Miid.morning coffee break.

Have lovely Sunday.
Margi.   
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 08:12
i really like the looks of this - if i can get it figured out, it might be on the menu for Easter, although it won't look nearly as nice as the one in the picture above!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 08:21
Tas,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Let me do some research with the Salamanca Bakeries ( 3 hrs. from Madrid Capital ) and obtain the Dough Recipe for the HORNAZO.  Then, we shall have a better idea, as to how to achieve the pastry.

I belive the recipe is very similar to Empanada Gallega, without the embossed design.

This pastry is also baked all year long, however, filled with a variety of fillings, from savoury to sweet.

I shall get back to you as soon as I receive replies from the Pastelrías over in Salamanca City. It is also the name of the province in Castilla León.

Please note, I have posted the Dough / Pastry Ingredients on the Original Post.

Also, you shall find, 2 photos of Hornazo de Salamanca, with a different pastry design.

Here are a few websites I believe you shall find interesting:

2) www.elhinojal.com ( they export Hornazo ) : The price of purchase for 1 kilo is 17 Euros.
3) www.whatssalamanca.com ( travel information to Salamanca - See Food Section: The Hornazo is a very popular pastry filled with charcuterie.

Kindest Regards.
Margi.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 08:44
I did a little bit of research, and this dish certainly has an interesting history. evidently, it is a dish to celebrate the return of certain "working girls" on Easter monday, who were sent away during Holy Week in ancient times so that the men of the village could avoid temptation. a couple of recipes i saw called for dough that is similar to pizza (empanada?) dough for all three layers: bottom, middle and top. it looks like there is a layer dough, then sausage, then dough, then bacon, then sliced hard-boiled eggs, then dough on top. the criss-cross pattern seems to be a traditional part of the recipe.

with such savory and delicious ingredients, i must say i love this - and having an interesting story to it makes it even better. definitely on my list, and i hope to use products as close to traditional as possible. i'll look into it, whether the bacon is smoked or not, as well as the characteristics of the sausage.

good find!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:30
Tas,

I posted the historical facts for you, and what is most interesting is that, this Monday, LUNES DE AGUAS, or WATER MONDAYS, is still celebrated today in the Province of Salamanca, Castilla León.

Thanks much for all your feedback on the topic.

Enjoy the history which I translated from: www.origenonline.es

*** In English:  www.learnspanish.gob.es

Kind regards,
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:58
looks good!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:15
Photo Courtesy: Turgalicia Galician Tourist Office.

Tas,

This is Empanada Gallega, which is can be prepared with seafood or shellfish and / or Smoked Pork Shoulder, called Lacón with beet-root or turnip greens.

A variety of Salamanca City Hornazo filled
with charcuterie and Sobresada, a Mallorcan Sausage
Spread.

Hornazo from El Hinojal ( www.elhinojal.es)
for supermarkets and export.

Kindest regards.
Margi.  

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 09:31
I have some Spanish chorizo in bulk (not in links) that should work perfectly for this, along with some country ham and Italian proscuitto. Perhaps I'll get some bacon as well, and see if I can make this for Easter morning, if we have time.

The pastry recipe looks incomplete, are there more detailed instructions? Or is there perhaps another, more tradiitonal recipe? Perhaps a simple pastry such as for a pie or an empanada would work, or does it need to have certain characteristics?
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 09:34
Tas,

Let me review the recipe I posted and the recipe from the Salamanca Bakery and shall be back to you very shortly.

I believe the issue might be, is that the Dough recipe is below the stuffing recipe ... Please confirm specifically ---

Pleased to hear, you are tackling ... The charcuterie you have on hand, should work beautifully.

Felices Pascuas.
Margaux.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 09:47
I have a flaky, un-leavened focaccia dough that I am good at making - it looks similar, and if all else fails, I can use that!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 10:06

Tas,

There are many versions with and without yeast; however the ingredients are the same;
1 kilo all purpose flour;  1 glass sherry;  2 eggs; 50 grams of manteca de cerdo = pork lard; 1 pinch sugar, 1 pinch salt to taste; 1 glass water and 1 glass Evoo ... According to several Spanish websites I had just checked with ...

I believe what is missing are the How To´s on the Dough Part of the recipe ...

I am looking for the recipe ...

Patience, and I shall find it ...

Margaux.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 10:12
Sounds good, Margi - I am sure that the "how-to" is pretty basic, but any details would be great.

For the "1 glass" measurement for the liquids, would you have a guess as to the possible equivalent this is? 4 oz? 6? 8?

Thanks!Star
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 10:28
Tas,

The dough profile of the traditional, contains fine thin layers, verses a focaccia dough; however, this is up to you.

It is always prepared with a traditional Galician Savoury Tart Empanada dough and is egg glazed prior to baking ...

I added the steps for the dough on original thread --- let me know if you require any other assistance ...

Thanks,
Margaux ( had been uploading some of my lunch photos on their corresponding recipes in Iberia ) ...

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 10:47
I'll see what I can do -

I'll be making our entire Easter dinner by myself that day, so due to time constraints, I may simply use a pre-made pastry crust; this may sound lazy, but is sometimes practical with a wife at work and 4 male younglings ranging from 22 down to 10, who are all in a contest to be the LEAST helpful.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2013 at 10:55
Thumbs Up Tas,

Perhaps, you should prepare the evening prior ... and then, aluminum foil for warming in oven ... or 2 evenings before ... 

Disapprove The gents, like to eat your " manjares " however, do not like to participate ... That is today´s generation ... most young- ins cannot even boil water ... more or less know how to scrub a pot ! 

Sorry to hear. 

*** manjar = a delicacy ... 

I am sure that which ever  SAVOURY PIE EMPANADA DOUGH / PASTRY, you decide to prepare with; it shall be wonderfully tasty ... 

Kind regards.

Margaux

*** This savoury pie empanada dough pastry recipe is from a traditional Salamanca University Bakery ... thus, it is in English ... do you want me to scan for you and send via email ? There are several for different types of tarts ... 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 11:04
I did make this on Easter morning, but it was kind of a sloppy and improvised version, so I did not take any photos! I will say, however, that it was EXCELLENT in flavour and very much deserves another preparation - I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an Easter or Easter-Monday meal - or for any other time someone wants to make a great dish.

As I predicted, Easter Sunday was extremely busy; we spent most of the morning making Easter cheese that we should have made on Friday or Saturday, and so I had to take a convenient path. Because of this, I used a rolled, pre-made pie crust, rolling it out in my paellera, which was the perfect size for this. 

First, I put down a layer of sliced, hard-boiled eggs - naturally, we had quite a few of these on hand since it was Easter Sunday. Next, I laid out my chorizo. I didn't have any chorizo in the form of links, but "bullk" sausage worked just fine as I broke off bits and laid the bits on top of the egg. Next, I cut up a few slices of proscuitto and laid them on top of the chorizo.

I thought I had two pie crusts, but as it turned out, I only had one. I was just about ready to simply fold the entire thing over and make it in the form of a calzone, but then I saw in the refrigerator that we had a can of jumbo biscuits. I opened it up, flattened out the 8 biscuits, and used them to top the hornazo; this actually worked pretty well, covering it completely.

I then sealed the edges and popped it in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes; another 15 minutes would have been perfect, I think, but I did not want to risk burning the pie crust or the biscuits, which were by now a deep, golden brown. I let the hornazo rest for 5 minutes, then sliced it like a pizza and served it.

Looking back, I probably should have put the biscuits on the bottom and the pie crust on top, but the way I did it was also fine. The underside of the biscuits (in contact with the filling), was a little doughy, but the surface of the biscuits was perfect, as was the pie crust. Both the biscuits and the pie crust took in a lot of flavour from the filling, making this a very delicious and savory meal. The chorizo tasted more Mexican rather than Spanish, and was quite spicy, but was very good. The proscuitto was outstanding, lending a great flavour to the whole thing. If we would have had any smoked ham or bacon to add along with the other fillings, I think the inside of the hornazo would have been over-the-top pefect, with or without the improvised pastry shell.

All-in-all - very good! My only real regret is that there was absolutely no time to make a proper pastry; even so, I wouldn't hesitate to improvise again, if that's all I had available to me. The bottom line is that I highly and enthusiastically recommend this ~ considering that it is traditionally a Monday-after-Easter meal, there is still time for anyone interested to give it a try! Tongue
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 11:49

Tas,

Good news on one hand ... and it sounds as if you achieved excellence in flavor profile ...

The shame is, not 1 foto of final savoury pie ... and the lack of time ...

Well, since you enjoyed so much; I am sure u shall do a pictorial next time !

Kind regards,
Margaux.

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 22:29
it looks like a good thing to try in my pizza oven .

Ahron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic