Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The British Isles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Turbot Fish Balls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbot Fish Balls
    Posted: 04 November 2012 at 10:09
This recipe was given to me by a Basque Tavern owner in Edinburgh several years ago. He had opened a lovely Basque Restaurant, called the Witchery, located close to the Castle in the historic district of Edinburgh.

Here is his simple Tapa recipe.

The Skyline with Edinburgh Caste, Scotland.

Scottish Basque Style Turbot Fish Balls ...

1 GARLIC CLOVE PEELED
500 GRAMS OF TURBOT, HAKE OR COD FISH ( 1 POUND )
2 SLICES OF DAY OLD COUNTRY STYLE BREAD, SOAKED IN WHOLE MILK & SQUEEZED DRY
1 EGG
SALT AND PEPPER
A PINCH OF FRESH MINCED PARSLEY, AND DRY SPICES:  THYME, ROSEMARY AND OREGANO ( or combo of spices and herbs to season the flour )
1 CUP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
FRYING OIL OF CHOICE

1) in a food processor chop the garlic, and parsley.
2) add the fish and the bread and process to create a smooth pesto type paste
3) add the salt, pepper, the egg and combine thoroughly
4) form into tiny balls and shape
5) coat   with flour and fry in batches in moderately hot oil until golden and then drain the oil and place the fish balls on paper towelling
6) serve hot with toothpicks, and salsas of choice & fried potatoes, or spicy Brava potatoes
( RECIPE IN SPANISH SECTION ).

Enjoy,
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 17:15
Sounds like another winner, Margi.

When soaking the bread, do you use water or milk?
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 23:25
Brook, Good Morning,

I have always used a little milk in all my meatballs. They are tasty.

Thanks for compliments.   

My question to you:  Would water change the  texture ?

Kindest.
Ciao. LOL
Mar.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 06:14
Would water change the  texture ?

I dunno. I always use milk, myself.

But just guessing, I don't see why there would be a textural change. You're squeezing most of the liquid out anyway. The point is simply to soften the bread and make it paste-like.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 06:17

Brook,

Thanks for your reply & I have added the word Milk, in the instruction for soaking and squeezing the bread ...

Have a wonderful Monday,
Margi.

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 08:51
nice, looking recipe, margi - i assume that nearly any fish will work?

i have always been confused by recipes that say to soak bread in milk, then squeeze dry. it seems to me that one would end up with a bunch of mush that would just squirt between the fingers? Confused
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:40
Pretty close, Ron. The liquid squirts, but the mass of bread compresses into a ball (well, a hand-shaped torpedo, actually).

If you're concerned, just transfer the bread to a tea towel and wring it out. But for most recipes, the quantity of milk to that of bread is so low that you won't get the sort of mush you're envisioning.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:44
Tas,

This is a very common Mediterranean method of adding bread, as if you just add the crumbs, the texture shall not be " smooth " and shall be coarse and the crumbs shall overpower the taste of the ingredients you are seeking. It is commonly done in most recipes in Spain, Italia & Greece.

Meatball, Meatloaf, Ragù are 3 dishes where this is commonly employed.

Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:45

my main concern was that it would all simply fall apart and pretty much dissolve, but it sounds like that wouldn't be the case. i see this concept in several recipes, but have never really udnerstood it - will simply have to try it!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:57
Tas,

I am sure that falling apart shall not be the case, unless you overload with eggs and do not wringout the milk thoroughly.

Yes, I am sure you shall find it to provide dynamic tasting Mediterranean dishes, as this is employed in uncountable dishes here.

Kindest,
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:04
 if you just add the crumbs, the texture shall not be " smooth " and shall be coarse and the crumbs shall overpower the taste of the ingredients

This often depends on the amount of liquid in the dish, Margi. For example, in your fish ball recipe, the egg provides all the liquid. So crumbs would remain coarse and overpowering. In other recipes, however, those that have more liquid content, they merely act as a binder.

But your general point is valid. Moistened bread makes a much smoother consistency.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:07
When I made Swedish Färsrullader (OMG GOOD, by the way - check out the link!), i was surprised to find that cream was added to the breadcrumbs in the recipe, and now reading the posts above, it makes more sense.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 10:22
Tas and Brook,

I believe a light style cream shall work as a sub for the milk.

Brook: Yes, the general point is valid. It does create a much smoother consistency, especially if there are no eggs added. It is a binder and here in the Mediterranean it is very common to employ even if you are adding an egg or 2. To give substance, as these are still Pastoral Peasant Agricultural Lands.
( Spain and Italy and many parts of Greece ).

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 12:45
Tas. Firm white fish works and trout or salmon or chicken breast too. You can also prepare them with ham that is put in a FP or veggies and cheese. Margi.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic