Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Tools of the Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Earthenware Mediterranean Clay Pots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earthenware Mediterranean Clay Pots
    Posted: 16 November 2012 at 16:13
Buonasera,
Since the discovery of fire we have been cooking, braising , searing, roasting and barbecuing. Taste has long convinced humanity that preparing a dish in clay outperforms in aromas and taste. Authoress Paula Wolfert has written a book called Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking verifying the secrets of earthenware .

Furthermore The Tagine of Morocco , the Cazuela de Barro of Spain, the Columbian Bean Pot or Olla de Frijoles and the Chinese Sand Pot have been the vessels employed thru out the centuries. What are your views, results, dishes of success and anecdotes.   

For Purchase:

www.latienda.com ( Spanish cazuelas )

www.tagine.com.uk ( tagines )

www.willams-sonoma.com ( assorted from braising and roasting sizes to lid with cover models. )

One type of a Puglia, Italia Clay Pot Potato Dish.

Photo: Moroccan Tagine.

Look forward to hearing from you. Margi.    
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 18:11
I spent 18 months anxiously waiting the publication of that book (which came out in 209, btw); and then wrote a glowing review.

When I ran the reviews department at Cheftalk, one rule was that a reviewer make at least two recipes from a cookbook. For Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking I made eight! It was not a hardship.

Does that answer your question about my thoughts on clay-pot cookery? If not, my personal collection includes: two tagines, six cazuelas, a variation of a Turkish cooking tile, a Moravian-style redware skillet, and an assortment of casseroles, bowls, etc.

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 18:19
Brook. Thanks for ur feedback and informative contribution. The Book Is A Wonderful Addition and especially if you enjoy Medit. cuisines. Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 20:43

One complaint I often hear about clay is the cost. And clay vessels can be expensive if you buy them new.

On the other hand, you can find some great bargains at garage sales, flea markets, and antique malls. One piece I use fairly often, for instance, is a covered, round baking dish. It was bisque fired, but never glazed. There’s a small chip in the edge of the bowl. But I paid US1.50 for it. So how can you get hurt!

One deal I regret is the largish Romertoph I found at a mall. They were asking less than ten bucks. Unfortunately, it was badly stained, and I didn’t know, at the time, how to remedy that. Alas!

For those interested, here’s one of the great recipes from the book. A Tiella is a wide, medium-high glazed vessel popular in Calabria and Puglia. As with tagines, the name is used for both the pot and the dish. A large cazuela or casserole dish will work just fine.

Pork Tiella with Wild Mushrooms and Potatoes

¾ cup dried porcini or crêpes mushrooms

3 tbls extra virgin olive oil

3 garlic cloves, crushed

3 oz thinly sliced pancetta, shredded

1lb boneless pork shoulder cut in 1 ½ inch chunks

1 lb red potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced

1 lb Italian brown mushrooms, quartered

1 long fresh rosemary sprig

¼ tsp crushed hot red pepper

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

4 oz caciocavallo or aged provolone cheese, shredded

1 tbls chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Soak the porcini in 1 cup hot water for 20-30 minutes. Rub the mushrooms together to loosen any dirt and grit; then remove them from the water and coarsely chop. Strain the soaking liquid through a coffee filter or double layer of cheesecloth and set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the casserole. Add the garlic and pancetta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. When the casserole is warm, raise the heat to medium, add the pork, and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes, chopped porcini, quartered fresh mushrooms, rosemary, hot red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and the reserved mushroom soaking liquid. Cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. (The recipe can be prepared to this point up to 1 day in advance. Bring back to room temperature before continuing.

About 1 ½ hours before serving, scrape any fat from the pork dish. Carefully pick out as many potatoes as possible and set aside. Arrange the meat and mushrooms in with layer and top with a layer of the potatoes. Gently press down to make the dish compact. Scatter the remaining tablespoon olive oil and the cheese on top and set in a cold oven. Set the temperature at 400F and bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, and let the dish continue to cook in the receding heat for 45 minutes. Serve hot or warm, with the chopped parsley sprinkled on top.

Recipe courtesy “Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking,” Paula Wolfert, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2009

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2012 at 11:48
Brook,

Grazie, Muchas Gracías for posting the lovely Earthenware clay pot recipe from Puglia.

I posted a photo of this type of clay earthenware vessel in one of my posts above.

All my Kindest for your lovely contributions and feedbk.

Photo: Moroccan Tagine.

Photo: Spanish Clay Vessel Oven Earthenware.

Kindest,
Happy Thanksgiving.

Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2012 at 14:31
Brook,

I wish to thank you for your suggestions on where to find reasonably priced clay pots. Flea Markets, or Bazaars ( Zocos or Rastros in Spanish ) as well as Yard or Moving Sales, 2nd Hand Shops are always good places to browse for clay pots.

However, just a note to those buying for the 1st time; the older the clay mud combination pots are; the better. They are " SEASONED " and are wonderful to implement  Mediterranean slow cooking.

When I first moved to Europe in 1992, clay pots of all types & sizes & shapes, were dirt cheap Chollos ( bargains ), however, since the Euro Currency, they have risen in price.

The tiny Tapa sized Cazeulas are 1.00 Euro and are  the ones you find at the Bars.

The large sized roasting clay ovenware run between 4.50 - 8.00 Euro Dollars.

The lid varieties can run 10.00 Euros to 15.00 Euros, depending on size.

The best places here to purchase are same: the main Sunday morning flea market in La Latina Neighborhood, Moving Sales and the 2nd Hand shops in which one can find a real bargain; as well as the 1 Euro Shops owned by the Chinese. They are labelled MADE IN SPAIN.  

Kindest regards.
Margi.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 10:30
Great information - thanks for posting!

I still need to inaugurate the "Roman-style" cazuela that I bought from La Tienda recently:

The time will come soon when I can use it - perhaps over the Thanksgiving holiday, or as part of the meal itself?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 11:11
Tas. Veggies are lovely in tiellas or potatoes or in cazuelas. Once a person cooks in clay, the taste shall linger. Enjoy. MC.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 11:23
I'm thinking that it might be good with our double-batch of green bean casserole that we always make for Thanksgiving....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 12:02
Tas. Great idea. Enjoy. Margi.
beejay View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 14:50
I'm sure the book is wonderful, and I mean that sincerely because I have many of Ms. Wolfert's books.
beej
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 15:04

Ron,  

That is a gorgeous earthenware ..   

Perfect for roast chicken or oven dishes ..  

As you know, it is my preferred method of  cookware .. 

I have 2, that date back several decades and adore them .. 

I prepare risottos and paellas in them !   

All my best and have a lovely summer ..
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 17:05
I'm sure the book is wonderful, and I mean that sincerely because I have many of Ms. Wolfert's books.

Me, too, Bee Jay. But this one belongs at or near the top of the list. In it, she introduced many Americans to clay-pot cookery the same way she introduced them to Moroccan cooking in the early 1970s.

Long term, I truly believe Clay Pot Cooking will have a greater impact, over all, that did Couscous and Other Good Food From Morocco.

If you have an opportunity to obtain a copy, jump on it!
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 17:06
By the by, I've seen photos of Paula's clay pot collection. My eyes turn green every time.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic