Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > Texas and the Southwest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Fajitas - (Skirt Steaks)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fajitas - (Skirt Steaks)
    Posted: 25 November 2012 at 16:40
Anyone make fajitas? I love well made skirt steak, but haven't tried making it yet. Seems like it would be easy, but I'm sure there are nuances to consider.
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 02:21
Sure do! Usually with skirt or flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain.
Season them up well and sear them over high heat then toss them in some fajita sauce.

I knew  I should have taken a few pics last time I made them.Confused
Go ahead...play with your food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 05:24
Muleskinner. I prepare fajitas with shrimp or chicken usually however Our dear friend Ventura owns a fab Mexican taquilla here and I could post recipe if u like. Let me know. the ingredients are:     one kilo skirt steak sliced in strips as Hoser advised across grain, two tblsps fresh lime juice, three or four cloves garlic, 3 red chili peppers, two tblsps Tequila, one red bell, one golden bell, 1 red onion, Eight wheat or corn totillas. One can sub green bell if preferred. One can sprinkle with red flake pep and salt to taste and pimenton sweet or piquant. I marinate shrimp twenty mins. for optium profile. Great with Mexican blk beer. Enjoy. Margi.   
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 07:18
We used to have a restaurant that served Fajitas with flare. They've since gone out of business. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-Chi%27s

They would bring a sizzling hot cast iron skillet, filled with the goodies and when they arrived at the table they'd squeeze some lemon juice over it and it would sizzle and steam to create quite a stir from the patrons from all the noise and steam.

The fajitas were your choice of seafood, chicken and beef in any combination, peppers and onions in slices. Soft warm tortillas were served in a separate covered dish. Toppings/fillings were also served with tomatoes or salsa (medium or hot), sour cream, guacamole and lime wedges. It was all quite colorful.

The patrons filled up the warm tortillas with the seafood/meat/poultry, onions and peppers and topped with your choice of tomato, sour cream, guacamole and lime juice.

I'm hungry now, I may have to make this very soon. The freezer and refrigerator have chicken and beef, I have onions and peppers, sour cream, a few tomatoes from the garden (the last of them) and I have a little bit of lemon left (which will have to suffice). I need to buy some tortillas and make some beans and rice for a side.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 07:33
Feather and Muleskinner. Yes they are served on a sizzling cast iron. Wonderful dish and Ventura my Mexican Restaurateur friend serves with a variety of salsas, tomato, cilantro, cactus and lime vinaigrette. i shall lunch Friday with colleagues.   Margi     
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 09:00
I've made a few improvised dishes that were kinda-sorta like fajitas, but have never actually bitten the bullet and done it as an "official" undertaking.

Perhaps we need a pictorial? Wink
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Muleskinner View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 18:28
Why wouldn't you cook the skirt whole, then slice into fajita strips? Seems like it would make better meat.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 18:42
Good question Muleskinner--I want to know too.

So we picked up a bunch of pretty and fresh peppers and now I have to figure out what cut of beef to use since we don't have skirt steak. I have most of the meat pictured in my freezer, below.

And when I make them, do I first cook the peppers and onions, take them out of the skillet and then cook the beef, then put it all back in the skillet?

The first number is the number of packages, then a description, then lbs/package on average, then total weight for that item (s).
1 suet 12 12
6 stew meat 1 6
48 hamburger 2 96
5 short ribs 3 15
2 rump roast 3.25 6.5
8 chuck blade roast 3.5 28
3 chuck blade arm roast 3 9
8 round steak 2.75 22
7 sirloin steak 2 14
2 sirloin steak 1 2
3 rib steak 2.5 7.5
3 rib eye steak 1.5 4.5
3 t-bone steak 2.5 7.5
2 porter house steak 3 6
5 soup bones 2 10
3 tip roast 3.5 10.5
2 liver 1 2
1 tongue 2.75 2.75
1 heart 4.5 4.5
1 oxtail 2 2

round steaks maybe?
Okay I think my pictures work, like my meat? ~Feather
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 02:33
Originally posted by Muleskinner Muleskinner wrote:

Why wouldn't you cook the skirt whole, then slice into fajita strips? Seems like it would make better meat.

Absolutely no reason why you couldn't do that ....just whatever appeals to you...I've always sliced first, then quick seared and added the sauce.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 02:48
Feather and Muleskinner. I believe you can feed a team of paratroopers in the Spanish Military! ha ha. The Spanish verb Fajar means to wrap and originally in
newspaper, thus the strips of meat are wrapped in corn or wheat totillas traditionally. The noun fajita or faja is a Girdle or a small girdle as to hold in bulk ... Thus one preparing if using tortillas should slice the meat.

- Cool photo Muleskinner. My first impression had been very Hemmingway my fave American author. Margi.

- Feather - I lived in DF Capital of Mexico many years ago during university for one years.
Mexican Fajitas unlike Texan variety are prepared with the beef part called cadera. 
*** See Beef Chart in Meat Section and the Hip is cadera ...
Check Word reference eng to spanish by oxford. I have forgot beef part names after twenty years ...
Apologies.
Margi.
Muleskinner View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 19:20
What seasoning makes it so unique? Fajita meat doesn't taste like other mexican-flavored beef.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 07:15

Muleskinner,

Here is my friend Ventura Rocha´s Fajita Recipe for beef ( flank or skirt steak; the cadera or hip is commonly employed in Mexico. )

( For Mexican & Louisiana´s Cajun & Creole Products: www.casafiesta.com )  

Beef Fajitas.
Fotosearch Courtesy.

Chicken Fajitas Wrapped in Tortillas 
Fotosearch.

Ventura´s Fajitas de buey ( Ventura´s Fajitas of skirt or flank steak ) ...

*** 1 kilo of skirt or flank steak ( cadera: the hip of the cattle )
2 red bell peppers sliced in strips ( virutas )
2 green or gold bell peppers sliced in strips ( virutas )
4 large red magenta violet onions

*** Corn or Wheat Tortillas ( hot in bread basket covered by napkins )

*** MARINADE:
100 ml. Extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper ( black, white, rose and green or just black ) to taste
2 tblps. fresh lime juice
2 tblsps. Tequila Aged, or Aged Rum ( amber colored )
fresh minced cilantro
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. Sweet Smoked Paprika ( La Vera Pimentón )
Optional: 1/2 tsp. Liquid smoke  
1 large magenta red violet ( cebolla morada ) onion minced finely
Optional: 1 tsp. Worcestshire Lea & Perrins
Chili Peppers in Adobo in Jar or dry chili peppers of choice & heat tolerance
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
a sprinkle of red chili flakes or 1 or 2 dry tiny red chili peppers
Beef stock

1)  The first step, is to rub the meat with the extra virgin olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper and place in a large roasting pan or pot for marinating overnight; NOTE: IF MARINADING UNSLICED, MARINATE THE 1 KILO OVERNIGHT; IF USING SLICES FOR MARINATING, THEN, 3 HOURS SHOULD BE PLENTY.

2) prepare the marinade: combine Evoo, lime juice, garlic, the chili peppers, the tequila or rum; and season with a pinch of salt and dash of freshly ground pepper & then add the rest of the ingredients. Combine them well and place the olive oil rubbed meat into the vessel for overnight marinating.

3) Turn the meat over, prior to retiring for the evening

4) Pre heat oven to 160 degrees centigrade 

5)  Slice the bell peppers, and the onions in strips

6)  heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet or similar and sauté the onions 3 mins. and then the bell pepper strips until tender. Adjust salt and freshly ground pepper if you wish.

7) Now slice the meat into strips and sauté 2 to 3 mins. per side; on the bed of the onions and bell strips ( discard the marinade )

8) Drain the meat and the vegetables and place the all in aluminum foil to keep warm

9) heat the Tortillas ( Mexican Bread )

Sizzling Hot Plate.

SERVE WITH:  GUACAMOLE; CACTUS OR CILANTRO SALSA, OR TOMATO CHILI PEPPER SALSA AND/OR  PRIOR, PREPARE EXTRA FRESH BATCH OF MARINADE AND HEAT IN SAUCE PAN AND DRIZZLE UPON MEAT ...

BEVERAGE:  MEXICAN BLACK BEER OR MARGARITAS ...

Enjoy,
Margi.

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 07:37
Marg, about how long is the meat marinated?
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 07:43

Brook,

The 1 Kilo +  of beef is marinated overnight; if marinating the sliced strips, I would go with 3 hrs.

It is mentioned, in recipe.

Margi.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 07:54
Thanks, Marg,

When I opened the post, originally, only the bold face stuff appeared; none of the directions. That's why I asked.

Ahhhhh, the joys of the internet.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 08:03
Brook,

IT Technology does has its flaws ...

Please do note, if you are slicing 1st, 3 hrs. are plenty of time for marinating. If you are marinating a kilo of meat plus, then overnight shall give it some real Mexicano flavor.

I normally prepare, SHRIMP FAJITAS which are very lovely. The Marinade is different and I shall post separate thread at wkend.

BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR PRESENTATIONS DECEMBER 1st, 2nd.

Kindest.

Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 05:50
Made these last night, Margi. Delicious!

Didn't have any skirt steak handy, and didn't feel like running out to the store. So used chicken, instead. Worked just as well. Through in a handful of shrimp (last of those Peruvian), just for giggles.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 06:03
Brook. We can share a Stetson ! So pleased to hear. Thanks for letting us know. I have a different marinade for shrimp and shall post under separate cover. Margi
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 07:12

I have always prepared my fajitas ( tiny girdles ) with marinated shrimp or chicken sliced in strips or virutas. I was quite pleased when my friend Ventura Rochas had given me the recipe, and Brook known as Historic Foodie, complimented me quite highly.

Here is the Shrimp Marinade ( 3 hours is sufficient ):

2 pounds fresh Jumbo or Large Shrimp
1 tblp. fresh Lime Juice
1 tblsp. Evoo
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 /2 tsp. cumin powder
2 minced garlic cloves
1 medium red onion minced
freshly ground black, rose, green and white peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika ( Pimentón de La Vera Sweet )
1 tiny red dry chili pepper or Flakes - a pinch
1 glass of Tequila or Rum

Have lovely evening,
Margi.

drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 13:36
It is a mental problem for me, i just cannot imagine how small the flank on shrimp is.;<)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic