Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Germany
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Stollen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stollen
    Posted: 30 November 2012 at 14:49
Recipe from family of Yugoslavian descent with a little German influence.
Sometimes roughed up by other cultures.

Stollen
(this is how we write our recipes)

dough:
1 quart of scalded milk
add 1 lb of butter, then cool
1/2 cup warm water
4 and 1/2 packages of yeast
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of oil of lemon
1 and 2/3 tablespoons salt
18 cups of flour (regular all purpose)

Additions:
1 lb of raisins
1 lb of currants
1/2 lb of mixed small candied fruit
1/2 lb of chopped or slivered almonds

Filling:
As much sweetened almond paste as you can afford.

Mix in order (not fruit or almond), knead, rise, knead, add dried and candied fruits and nuts, form---

To form it, roll out into a long rectangle (a portion of the dough about 1/6th), cut slits going outward from the two longest sides. Put the almond paste down the middle of the length. Now just begin to braid the slitted sections across the middle, let rise again and bake at 350 degrees F for 35-50 minutes until light brown (about 6 medium sized loaves).

Decorate with powdered sugar or light icing glaze and candied fruit.
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 15:11
Feather. Sounds scrumptuous. It is very visual however would u have a photo?   I shall put on the short term list for vacation projects.    Two questions: first lemon oil, is this a baker's oil and question 2: almond paste meaning prepared or raw Marzipan ? Thanks again for posting. Mare.      
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 15:31
Margi, I would guess the lemon oil is lemon extract but feather will have to confirm. for the almond paste, I bet it's pretty similar to the almond paste that we use for dutch easterbread since the overall recipe sounds very similar. A recipe for the almond paste can be found here:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/paasbrood-easter-bread_topic2001_post12575.html#12575

Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 15:48
Originally posted by pitrow pitrow wrote:

Margi, I would guess the lemon oil is lemon extract but feather will have to confirm. for the almond paste, I bet it's pretty similar to the almond paste that we use for dutch easterbread since the overall recipe sounds very similar. A recipe for the almond paste can be found here:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/paasbrood-easter-bread_topic2001_post12575.html#12575

there is actually an 'oil of lemon' or 'lemon oil' that is used for foods but there is no reason why lemon extract wouldn't be excellent in this bread. I'm one to use what we have, the less shopping the better.

The almond paste (sweetened) can be bought in cans here, I would wager since it is canned that it is not raw. I can also see making our own almond paste with raw almonds, oil, and powdered sugar, either one would be wonderful--Pitrow, the recipe you mentioned on your link looks excellent too.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 16:00
Feather and Pitrow. Thanks for all ur assistance. Lemon extract is easy to find and almond paste for marzipan comes in tubes or I can get some from a Baker Client, or make some as the Gc enjoy. Pitrow: thanx and great to see u online again. Margi
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 20:07
Feather. Please confirm how much flour as you had stated 18 cups flour ? Thanks. Margi.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 07:44
18 cups is what my handwritten recipe card says...from 1986, when I was more inclined to write every recipe on a recipe card.

The recipe should make 4-6 loaves depending on the size. A loaf of regular bread will take between 4-5 cups, so, I'm thinking that 4 and 1/2 cups per loaf is probably correct. (18 cups divided by 4 is 4 and 1/2 cups)
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 07:59
Feather,

Thanks for clarifying. I had not been aware, we were preparing 4 to 6 Stollen Breads. Wow !  Christmas gifts, and freezer, they do come in handy once in awhile ! Hug

One loaf 4 1/2 cups flour. Thanks alot for all your assistance.

Abraccios, Ciao,
Margi.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 08:38
Oh, the recipe is very large because it's just as much work to clean a kitchen up from making 4 loaves of bread as it is to clean it up from making 1 loaf of bread. And....it helps skinny people like yourself from blowing away in the breeze.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 09:10
Wink  Feather,

Thanks for the clarification. There is an old saying; " One can never be too rich or too thin. " LOL

In actuality, I am petite and quite regimented & disciplined during the Laboral Week and then, at the weekends, I love my Pasta & Risotto;  and here goes another old saying, " Good things come in small packages" !

Kindest regards.
Margi.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic