Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Greece
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Classic Avgolemono Lemon Broth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Avgolemono Lemon Broth
    Posted: 08 December 2012 at 06:40
As I mentioned to Melissa Mead on her thread, an Fotw Member, there are uncountable variations on this Greek Classic Broth and / or Lemon Broth or Lemon Sauce.

Here are 2 recipes which I have been preparing for numerous years, and had learnt how to prepare it in Thessasalonikki Port City, in northeastern Greece.

CLASSIC AVGOLEMONO

2 eggs at room temperature
2 lemons juiced and strained
vegetable or chicken broth 2 cups or 500 Ml.
optional: salt, fresh ground black pepper, dill or parsley fresh minced to adorn

1) For 2 mins. to 3 mins. Whisk the eggs, until pale and foamy.
2) Whisking continuously gradually drizzle the lemon juice.
3) With a ladle, very slowly, add the broth to the eggs, beating constantly until the egg mixture is warm and then pour the Avgolemono into the pot for which it is being made and heat very lightly on very low slow flame
4) do not allow it to boil
5) simmer just until it thickens slightly

Yield:  2 CUPS.

SAFFRON AVGOLEMONO

2 eggs at room temperature
large lemons ( 2 ) juiced and strained
vegetable or chicken broth 500 Ml. = 2 cups
Kozani Red Greek Saffron 8 threads ( saffron from any Designation is okay ): place in 115 farenheit hot water for 12 to 15 mins. - do not discard liquid  

1) Whisk the eggs until pale and foamy 2 to 3 mins.
2) whisking continuoulsy, gradually drizzle in the lemon juice and saffron with its liquid
3) using ladle or large sppon, very gradually add the hot broth to the eggs, beating all the while, until egg mixture is warm
4) pour the Avgolemono into the contents of the port and heat lightly on very low slow flame; without allowing to boil, just enough for the broth to thicken slightly. Remove from stove and serve.

*** AVGOLEMONO can be used in similar fashion to Hollandaise, in other words, it can be used as a sauce with grilled chicken or grilled shrimp.

Enjoy,
Happy Holidays.
Margaux Cintrano.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 06:48
Thank you!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:50
SouvalKi. This is my recipe for Avgolemono ... I had never had it with rice.

Melissa,

Please do let me know how it turns out if you try it. Just need a good strong whisking arm ! 

This would be lovely with:

HoserĀ“s Tarragon Chicken recipe  and / or

the Chicken Picata with artichokes  I had posted in New England Little Italy Section.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic