Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The British Isles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

English Muffins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: English Muffins
    Posted: 15 December 2012 at 16:31
English Muffins are a favorite brunch item for Eggs Benedict, and thus, I decided to post this old recipe from my maternal side of the family, even though we are not British.

English Muffins ...

1 package of yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/4 cups scalded milk
2 tblps. sugar
1/4 cup butter room temperature
3 cups Sifted Flour
1 cup corn meal flour

1) soften yeast in warm water. Pour scalded milk over the sugar, salt and the butter.
2) stir in 1 cup flour and add softened yeast and corn meal, combining thoroughly
3) beat 2 mins. at medium speed on electric mixer.
4) beat in the remaining flour to prepare a soft dough.
5) cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk ( 1 hour )
6) press down on dough and roll out to 1 inch on surface sprinkled heavily with cornmeal
7) cut with 3 inch round cutter and cover and let rest 30 mins.
8) preheat griddle to medium hot and grease slightly, the griddle
9) carefully place the muffins, corn meal side down on griddle
10) bake until bottom is nicely brown about 12  mins.
11) turn and bake an additional 12 mins.
12) store in refrig. until time to serve and then split with fork and toast under broiler.

Enjoy,
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2012 at 19:25
    I'll give your recipe a try, Margi!  There's just something about making English Muffins that I love...I just can't get over the joy of cooking them on the griddle.  I don't know why this amuses me so much, but it does.

Thanks for posting!
  Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 01:08
Dan Good Morning,

My Mom used to prepare them on a griddle when I was a teenager. It is quite " casera " or homemade traditional way of making Muffins in this day and age ! 

It is a very old recipe that I have encountered in her hand written books.

Do you actually have a griddle ?           

I have my Mom´s ...

Let me know how they turn out.

Have lovely Sunday,
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 16:55
   Hi Margi!  We have a five burner stovetop, and we can remove the center grate and put a griddle top in place of it.

That's wonderful to hear this is one of her handwritten recipes, thanks for sharing it!  I will let you know how they turn out when I make them.

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 22:54
Dan. Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing the photos too. Have great week. Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 15:55

Well, I ended up using buttermilk and regular milk for these.  They turned out really nice.  We made breakfast sandwiches out of the, homemade bacon, egg and cheese on the English muffins.

Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 16:08
Wow Dan.

Fabulous to hear and thanx so much for posting foto.

They look delicious.

Kindest. Margi.   
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2013 at 18:02
Margi, when will you make some, lookin for those pics!
Mark R
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2013 at 18:41
Do these things end up with those 'nooks and crannys' that are advertised with that name brand? Something about leaving them on a pan at medium high heat for 20 minutes on a side just feel like they'll burn.I don't know. Tell me more.
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2013 at 20:29
Rod,

My Mom used to prepare them ... I have made them three times in 2012, as Fil enjoys Eggs Benedict.  

I usually prepare on low slow flame. Right now we are both busy with professional projects ... Howver, we have long March holidays, and shall be off  to Italy for Easter  ...

I will put on List of to do's for a wkend. in 2013 ... 10 to 12 minutes per side more or less.

It all depends on if you are using a griddle skillet or the grill itself ... ( see Dan´s photos above )

I use a griddle pan ...

Texture: mine are thinner than Dan Gone Fishin´s photo indicates ... The interior is not smooth ... they are similar to a packaged Thomas Brand ... sort of coarse in texture.

Hope this assists.

Enjoy wkend.

Rod: apologies for the time mistake ... I had to translate the original recipe ...

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 02:19
This place is a veritable treasure trove Thumbs Up
My sister loves eggs Benedict - but she is the 'city' mouse of the two of us, I am the country mouse.
I would love to dish up an entirely home made version to her next time she visits.
I have never been able to make English Muffins because I couldn't find a reliable source - These are sooooo on this weekends' baking schedule.
Thanks team! Heart
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 05:29

Anne,

Pleased to hear you enjoy a MANHATTAN BRUNCH of EGGS BENEDICT ... Surely a treat ... And a wonderful homemade Hollandaise drizzled over ... This deserves a Champagne ! 

This is exactly what we had for Brunch on Sunday here in Manhattan ... 

Have fun,

Margaux  
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 10:38
Good luck with the English muffins, Anne - judging by Dan's perfect-looking results, I believe you will do very well!

Originally posted by Margi Margi wrote:

Fil enjoys Eggs Benedict.

The more I learn about Fil, the more I like him! Eggs Benedict is a breakfast that I truly love, even though I don't get to have it very often.

Margi or Anne - the next time you prepare Eggs Benedict, please take some photos and share your recipe; Hollandaise sauce is something I want to re-learn how to make, since the powdered packages just don't quite compare. I used to make it about 25 years ago when I worked in a restaurant as my very first "real" job, but only made it 2 or 3 times and have since forgotten!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 22:40
There's only one real secret to it, Ron. The water in the double boiler should be barely simmering, not boiling. That and stir, stir, stir!
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 05:21
I will try find the recipe for the cheat hollandaise which is super easy and tastes amazing.
Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 05:41
There we go. I used Ina's recipe a few times and it's magic
Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 08:50
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Margi or Anne - the next time you prepare Eggs Benedict, please take some photos and share your recipe; Hollandaise sauce is something I want to re-learn how to make,

Hollandaise sauce is one of those things that sometimes scares people off.  I almost think that Hollandaise sauce is also one of those things that first, isn't that bad (just pay attention)...and second is one of those things where you can learn alot if you go through with fouling it up.  Even if you've made it successful before, ruining it one time can teach you alot.

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 08:55
Agreed, Dan - I'll be doing some practicing, since I have a 2-pound section of home-made, maple-cured-and-smoked Canadian bacon to use up soon. Also, thanks for the advice and recipe, Brook and Hila! That is the one trick I do remember, Brook - for some reason I remember whisking in a stainless steel bowl over a larger stainless bowl filled with just-less-than-boiling water. They said that the heat from that would do it, and as I recall I did pretty well on my first try.

Question: is this one of those where you want fresh eggs, or are eggs a couple of days old better? room temperature, or chilled? I am guessing fresh, room-temperature eggs, but I also remember reading that some things work better with "older (for lack of a better term) eggs.....

We'll see what the future holds!

[edit] I clicked on Ina's recipe, and got the answer to my question! I've always liked her, and this does indeed look easy. Will try it to get my feet wet again!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 11:54
Ron, eggs should always be at room temperature, no matter what they're being used for.

As for the old/fresh thing, I think that's mostly nonsense written by foodies and chefs who want to show off. If you're buying eggs at a farm you can control their age. If you're buying them at a market---as most of us do---you have no idea when they were delivered, how long they were in cold storage before that, etc.

That being the case, what's a "fresh" egg?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 12:05
good points all, brook - i do have access to eggs that are "fresh" in the sense that they were laid only a day or two prior, but then again, perhaps refrigeration has eliminated the importance of the relative freshness?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic