Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sauce Piquante

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sauce Piquante
    Posted: 17 December 2012 at 16:25
   Here is a dish that suits so well with Alligator and Turtle.  Since I didn't have either of those on hand I decided to make a Chicken and Andouille Sauce Piquante.  Turned out quite nice.  But, feel free to use any protein you have on hand, including fish and seafood.  It turns out a fantastically rich Cajun dish.

Sauce Piquante

• 1 cup oil
  • 1 cup flour
  • onions, celery, green pepper, red pepper
  • garlic
  • andouille sausage
  • chicken (Whole leg quarters or cut up breast)
  • thyme
  • 2 cups chicken stock (can substitute shellfish stock or water)
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 1 28oz can of whole tomatoes
  • bay leaves
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Tabasco (or your substitute)
  • optional; green onions and flat parsley
  • optional File' powder
  • serve over rice

This starts out a lot like gumbo.  mix oil and flour in a large pot or dutch oven, stirring frequently until mixture reaches the desired color that you want (may take 45-90 minutes).  Note: the roux will be extremely hot, so be careful stirring.  Also, if the roux burns (or develops black specks) discard and start over.

After the roux is to your desired color add the onions, celery, green pepper and red pepper...mix/cook to wilt.  Add garlic, mix/cook.  Add any meats you like (do not add seafood now, do that later toward the end).  Add thyme. 

Stir in 2 cups stock/water slowly mixing into the roux.  Mix in red wine followed by whole tomatoes.  Bring to boil reduce to simmer.  Add bay leaves and season with salt, pepper and a bit of Worcestershire.  Simmer for a good two hours.

Add tabasco and adjust salt and pepper at this time.  Optional: add green onions &  flat parsley into the pot.  Stir and serve over rice.  Add file' powder at the table if you like.

Here is some Chicken & Andouille Sauce Piquante served over Cajun Grain Brown Jasmin Rice

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 20:57
Dan, Super looking and love profile. TU for posting. Margi
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 14:31
Sauce Piquante is one of those iconic cajun dishes. Superficially the same, every cook has his/her own recipe.

A number of years ago, I was hunting with guide Phil Robertson of Duck Commander fame. We immediately developed into a relationship that was more than guide/sport, and he invited me to have Christmas dinner with his family. I felt very honored, to say the least.

Phil's sister, Judy, made a Sauce Piquante using game. But, as Dan notes, almost any protein works with these sauces.

Here's the recipe. Its interesting how much alike, but how dissimilar they are at the same time:

Judy Robertson's Sauce Piquante

1 cup celery, chopped
3 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, mashed
1 green pepper, chopped

Saute veggies in a olittle oil. Tkhen add:

1 cup barbeque sauce
1 cup catsup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
V-8 juice to desired thickness
3-4 lbs game meat, diced or shredded
2 lengths hot sausage, sliced thick

Simmer 2-3 hours to let flavors meld and meat cook.

Make a roux with 1 cup each oil and flour. Cook to peanut butter color. Add to sauce to thicken.

Serve over rice.  

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 19:58
   Phil Robertson,how cool is that, Brook Smile  Thanks for sharing the recipe, looks great!  I can still remember watching some of the earlier Duckmen videos, classics!

Thanks for sharing...and be well!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 21:39
Phil was quite a character, Dan. Basically a waterfowling heretic, who reversed all the rules. I'll never forget him stressing, "you give me a bluebird day, with the wind in the east, and I guarantee you'll kill you some ducks between ten and noon."

In that part of the world they hunt from tree stands, rather than water-level blinds. He had one 35 feet up, and you shot down at the birds.

An interesting experience, to say the least.

On that same trip we hunted with Warren Coco (of Go Devil fame) and Paul Dubissan, from their camp in the swamps around Lake Maupas. From them I learned the secrets of gumbo, especially seafood gumbo.

All in all, southern Lousiiana really is a sportsman's paradise, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 05:22
    Wow Brook, those are some priceless life experiences there!  Shooting the birds from tree stands, unthinkable LOL.  When we were down there last, it seemed everyone wanted to come up north and hunt for Illinois Whitetail (can't blame them...but it almost seemed like folklore of deer standing underneath every treestand)

When we got to Pierre Part, we didn't have any place to stay...we just figured we would find someplace when we got there.  When they heard we were from Illinois we had people trying to barter for a deer hunt.

I wish I could have helped them, unless you've got tons of cash, or know someone in particular...there ain't much land to hunt on nowadays.  There's either so much development, preserve, has one guy hunting the land or people are so darn scared of people actually hunting they look frightened when you ask them.  "...just got home from Illinois, lock the front door, oh boy!..."

Thanks for sharing!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 06:15
I know what you mean about Illinois deer, Dan. I spent the longest ten years of my life in northern Illinois, and the deer are one of the few things I remember fondly.  

those are some priceless life experiences there!

Yes, they are. But keep in mind that, for most of my career, I did that for a living. Writing about outdoor recreation was one of my mainstays; hooks, bullets, and non-consumptive. I wrote on those topics for more than 100 magazines and newspapers; several web sites; and two books.

As a result, I lived the lifestyle most outdoor enthusiests merely dream about.

What's really funny, when you do that for a living, is watching an IRS auditor try to make sense of it. For instance, when a buddy got audited, they questioned his deduction for dog food. "Well I need a dog for my work," he responded, "and the dog has to eat."

"So," the auditor said, "you keep livestock."

"No," Mike responded, "I'm not a farmer. It's a setter, not a cow."

And round and round it goes.

Anyway, my connection to Phil and Warren came from an article I'd done in Petersen's Hunting magazine about gear for the waterfowler. They invited me down to make a hunt, and I returned to hunt with them several times. A totally different southern Louisiana waterfowl experience was enjoyed with Eli Haydel, who had a lease in the coastal marshes.

I'm especially grateful to Eli, because, until then, Friend Wife couldn't understand why we would stay in the blinds long after limiting out. "You have to listen to the music," Eli taught her. And, for the first time, she realized on a viceral level that hunting is about far more than shooting animals.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 08:44
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

I'm especially grateful to Eli, because, until then, Friend Wife couldn't understand why we would stay in the blinds long after limiting out. "You have to listen to the music," Eli taught her. And, for the first time, she realized on a viceral level that hunting is about far more than shooting animals.

Approve
Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:26

Brook,

Thanks for posting and one day in near future, we shall try it out, when we return from Switzerland; leaving 22nd and returning to Madrid on 5th January ... with stop in Puglia from 1st to 5th to spend a few days at our condo in Italia.

Merry Christmas,
Kindest. Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic