Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Curing of Meats, Charcuterie and Smokehouse Specialties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Klobása Údené

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Klobása Údené
    Posted: 02 January 2013 at 05:23
Promised Ron last week that I'd try his recipe (or one he found) for Slovakian sausage, and here it is. This is a wonderfully balanced sausage flavor-wise...only real problem we had was that Hoser screwed the pooch and didn't get the casings dry enough before the cold smoke....no worries...they might not be pretty, but they are damned tasty.Thumb

This recipe comes from www.SlovakCooking.com:

http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/recipes/sausages/

Started as usual...couple of shoulders...all pork in this recipe. I used 1 picnic shoulder and 1 butt as you can see.

Ground them through my 3/8 plate and wound up with about 11 1/2 lb meat.

Here's the spices all measured out

Gave it all a good mix with some ice water and put them to bed overnight to get happy.

Then got busy next morning and did a bit of stuffing....did a fry pan test first, and I have to tell you...this is one very tasty sausage recipe...thanks for hooking me up Ron!

Fired up Todd's amazn smoker and gave them a good 4 hours of cold smoke before hitting the heat and slowly taking them to 152°

Like I said...not happy with the color, but very happy with the taste .
That's what I get for being in a rush....serves me right.

Then the traditional cold water bath and hang em to bloom.

You folks might want to get that recipe from Ron and give it a try....it on my top 5 list...that's for sure.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Palladini View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 18:24
From the top picture, the piece on the left, I would have made into a ham, smoked it, then cut it up.  Leave some of it in chunks, the size depends on what you use and how you stuff your Casings,  But grind all the rest of the smoked and plain, mix the ground meat and the chunks and spices and cure, then stuff you sausages, a day later if you so choose.
Dave
Ding a Ling ON
Canada
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 18:38
Dave, I think we're having a linguistics problem. Not unusual on this multi-national list.

You keep using the word "ham" related to various pork cuts.

Here in the States (and most other places I know of), the ham is the upper portion of the hind leg, from just above the "knee" to the hip.

A similar cut, from the front, is called a "shoulder" when the whole thing is used. The shoulder can---and most often is---divided in two. The upper half is called a Boston Butt, the lower half is called a Picnic Ham.

Adding to the confusion: Final products made from the ham usually are called ham, often with a qualifier (i.e., "Virginia Ham"). Products made from the two front cuts usually have other names. F'rinstance, take a Boston Butt, cook it low and slow in the smoker, and it's called pulled pork, or barbecue, or whatever. But the finished product isn't called butt.

Anyway, could you describe what you mean by "ham"? Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic