Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Grains, Breads and Baking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

The Staff of Life - A Primer on Baking Bread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Karen View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 17:03
Since I just recently joined this forum, I have been diligently playing catch up reading all the posts. Brook, you have done a wonderful job covering the subject matter! And the others who chime in make it even more interesting. Just finished the tidbit section, and Brook's comment . . .
"Suffice it to say I keep bread in the fridge all the time."
We do the same, otherwise our bread would be sprouting mold in no time flat -- that is what living in the woods gets you! However, I have come across a product that really helps all the way around and wonder if anyone else has tried it? I am not affiliated with this product in any way, so hope it is ok to bring it up. It is called Bee's Wrap, and it is muslin impregnated with bees wax and oils. You wrap your bread (or wrap a sandwich, cheese chunk, half a tomato) with the wrap and use the heat of your hands to mold it closed. My daughter gifted me the first one; and since then, I have purchased several more. They come in different sizes, even a longer version for wrapping baguettes. We can actually keep the bread way longer out of the refrigerator when it's wrapped in this. If I bake two loaves, one gets wrapped and left out and the other is wrapped and kept in the refrigerator until needed. There, that's my tidbit's worth.
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 02:13
That sounds very interesting Karen....and welcome to the forum by the way.

I'll have to do a little research on that....I'm forever tossing out moldy bread.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 02:19
And here it is.....a rather nice looking product:

Go ahead...play with your food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 06:59
Karen,

Welcome aboard. Fascinating. Definitely shall be checking into this, as I just cannot refrigerate my left over Baguettes ! I would rather not have bread if this were the case.

Shall be speaking to my contacts in regard to possibilities where in France, Iberia or Italia, this is available.

Exemplary post.
Margaux Cintrano.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 08:32
Good to hear from you, Karen. You might want to head over to the members lounge forum and tell the folks something about yourself.

I'm very intrigued by the Bee's Wrap. Have never heard of it before. Where do you buy it?
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Good to hear from you, Karen. You might want to head over to the members lounge forum and tell the folks something about yourself.

I'm very intrigued by the Bee's Wrap. Have never heard of it before. Where do you buy it?

I tried posting a link earlier, but every attempt showed a broken link.  The best prices I found was from Amazon for a three pack.  
Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 22:16
Hi, Karen, and welcome to the forum! We hope to see more of you here.... Thumbs Up

As for the Bee's Wrap, I was unable to find them on Amazon, but here's the link to the home page:

http://www.beeswrap.com/

Dan, if you could email the link that you have to me, I'll give it a shot.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 08:31
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Hi, Karen, and welcome to the forum! We hope to see more of you here.... Thumbs Up

As for the Bee's Wrap, I was unable to find them on Amazon, but here's the link to the home page:

http://www.beeswrap.com/

Dan, if you could email the link that you have to me, I'll give it a shot.

When I copy/pasted the link, from Amazon, here the link would change when redirected.  But I could go to my Google search for Amazon and Bee's Wrap...it came up with a vendor for Bee's Wrap.  They had three products listed.  Today when I tried to do the search I cam up empty, when I went to my history and clicked the exact link I had used previously, Amazon showed "Looking for something? 
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site"

Perhaps it was in the middle of being withdrawn from Amazon's website...or perhaps it will show up again in the future...dunno???
Enjoy The Food!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 10:50
Looks like an interesting product. Seems that there is a place locally that sells them. Will have to give them a look see.

Here's Beeswrap's stockists page; http://www.beeswrap.com/pages/stockists
Karen View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 15:23
Thank you for the welcome! My children were in visiting for a few days, so I haven't had much time on the computer. This is a another place to obtain Bee's Wrap products:
https://food52.com/provisions/kitchen/storage-organization?o=newest&page=3
and here for the baguette wrap:
https://food52.com/provisions/products/988-bee-s-baguette-wrap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic