Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Basque Marinade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basque Marinade
    Posted: 06 December 2017 at 11:44
This stuff can be a bit hard to find, but I did come across this, today:

http://www.farawayfoods.com/basquemeat.html

Using the HOLIDAY coupon code, you get 5$ off any order over 15$; that is "almost" like getting a free bottle of this, so I have asked The Beautiful Mrs. Tas to work her online shopping magic....

I really enjoy this marinade, and look forward to cooking with it again ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 10:59
I used to use this a lot a few years ago when I lived in another part of the state, but could never find it after I moved away.

http://basquecompany.com/

It's great stuff, with all-natural ingredients, and I really enjoyed it. The listed ingredients are Burgundy Wine Vinegar, Salt, Garlic, Corn oil, Lemon-Pepper Marinade, Black Pepper, Red Pepper.

I'm sure that the corn oil is a substitute for olive oil, but everything else sounds like a wonderful combination.

I think I'll see if I can convince our local grocery to carry it; if not, this recipe might work almost as well:

Quote From http://www.erench.com/RECIPES/BBQ/SAUCE/BASQUE/index.htm:

One of my favorite marinades for steak, goat or lamb is Basque Meat Tenderizer/Barbecue Sauce, from Basque Company, as it tenderizes the meat and implants a subtle, somewhat tangy taste. However, the price of $4.29 for a 375ml (12.7 oz) bottle seems a bit steep to me.... [W]ith a little extra time on my hands and a bit of trial and error experimentation, I was able to come up with a very close copy [of the] recipe that probably only costs me about $1.00 or so to make:

1 /2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 /4 cup Burgundy Wine, any brand, I use Carlo Rossi
1/4 cup Lawry's Lemon-Pepper Marinade, DO NOT SUBSTITUTE brands
1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon finely ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

In a plastic or ceramic mixing bowl, carefully measure ingredients and stir together until well blended. That's all there is to it! Transfer to approprate container and store, with lid tightly closed in refrigerator. The marinade will store indefinitely.

Yield: 1 cup; recipe can be easily halved, doubled, etc.

It looks like the real thing, and tastes very similar to the real thing, and my Basque Marinade tenderizes and marinates steak, pork, goat and lamb.

I like to marinate steak, goat or lamb in the Basque Sauce overnight before grilling. I've also used in on pork with good results.

I'd love to try this (with garlic instead of garlic salt) and I'd like to see if I'd be able to take that "Lawry's Lemon Pepper Marinade" and work out an all-natural solution - perhaps lemon juice and a couple of other things - definitely worth experimenting with....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic