Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Topics > The Veranda
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Outdoor photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2013 at 12:11
Tas,

Interesting ... However, I do believe Montana is much colder and much snowier !!!

North America is much colder than Spain ... in most parts of Iberia ...  

Northern USA, is truly cold especially on Canadian border ...

Castilla La Mancha is similar to Taos, Santa Fe and Alburquerque, New Mexico weather wise !!!

Very dry ... arid ... and sunny sunny ...

Though this year, the climatic changes brought us tons of rain --- not usual here !!!

m.c.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2013 at 04:23
WHERE WE RESIDE IN MADRID CAPITAL ... THE HEART OF THE CITY, PAVEMENT, CONCRETE AND 50 METRES TO THE NEAREST TAVERN FOR TAPAS ...  

PHOTO TAKEN BY: Margaux Cintrano

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 18:12
  Beautiful building Margi!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 18:19
   Here's some pictures from a vacation we took back in August of 2013, at Shawnee National forest.  The kids always go on and on about tree houses, my wife found a place that had a tree house that would fit a family of five.  No, it wasn't big, but it's all you need when you've got a beautiful room outside!

Enjoy The Food!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2014 at 04:58
An Adirondack sunrise over a frozen river.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2014 at 08:11
beautiful picture DIY!

I'm curious, what's the origin of your moniker, Diyasub?
Enjoy The Food!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2014 at 08:55
Originally posted by gonefishin gonefishin wrote:

beautiful picture DIY!

Many years ago, when I got my first computer I thought a screen name should reflect who you are and the things you're known for, but soon found out that most websites wouldnt allow me to use screen names like "Get away from my daughter!" and "I'm gonna shoot you if I catch you near my wife again!".
I found out that there are people who manufacture screen names, for a price, but their prices were just too steep for an average guy like me so I just drew some consonants out of a bag of Scrabble tiles and then stuck a few vowels between them to form a multi syllable word, thereby proving that when it's too expensive to call in a tradesman it's best to just Do It Yourself And Save Up a Bundle.
GarethM View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 06:01
A couple of weeks ago, we were out for a drive and came across this:
This was known as "the guardhouse of the bloodiest valley in Britain", now it is just wild and lonely

Gareth
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 11:29
Originally posted by DIYASUB DIYASUB wrote:

Originally posted by gonefishin gonefishin wrote:

beautiful picture DIY!

Many years ago, when I got my first computer I thought a screen name should reflect who you are and the things you're known for, but soon found out that most websites wouldnt allow me to use screen names like "Get away from my daughter!" and "I'm gonna shoot you if I catch you near my wife again!".
I found out that there are people who manufacture screen names, for a price, but their prices were just too steep for an average guy like me so I just drew some consonants out of a bag of Scrabble tiles and then stuck a few vowels between them to form a multi syllable word, thereby proving that when it's too expensive to call in a tradesman it's best to just Do It Yourself And Save Up a Bundle.

gotcha...thanks for the explanation :)
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 11:30
Originally posted by GarethM GarethM wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, we were out for a drive and came across this:
This was known as "the guardhouse of the bloodiest valley in Britain", now it is just wild and lonely

Stunning building...and history!

thanks for sharing
Enjoy The Food!
GarethM View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2014 at 09:20
They gave the world the words "bereaved" and "blackmail".

Borderers (particularly those banished by James VI of Scotland) took part in the plantation of Ulster becoming the people known as Ulster-Scots (Scotch-Irish in America). Reiver descendants can be found throughout Ulster with names such as Elliot, Armstrong, Beattie, Bell, Hume and Heron, Rutledge, and Turnbulls amongst others.

Border surnames can also be found throughout the major areas of Scots-Irish settlement in the United States, and particularly in the Appalachian region. The historian David Hackett Fischer (1989) has shown in detail how English border culture became rooted in parts of the United States. Author George MacDonald Fraser wryly observed or imagined Border traits and names among controversial people in modern American history; Presidents Lyndon B. Johnson and Richard Nixon, among others. It is also noted that, in 1969, a descendant of the Borderers, Neil Armstrong, was the first person to set foot on the moon. In the following year, Mr. Armstrong visited the town of Langholm, home of his ancestors.

Here is the Bishops Curse:

The Archbishop's Cursing 

About the year 1524,The Archbishop of Glasgow, Gavin Dunbar, became exasperated at the activities of the reivers and was unable to contain himself any longer. He issued his Monition of Cursing, a wordy rant, against the reivers, which made the Archbishop the supreme curser of all time and would, if times had been different, have earned the good archbishop the highest rating in the Guinness Book of Records.

This magnificent tirade was read out from every pulpit throughout the Borders and beyond. 
The congregations must have been awestruck by 
its venom and length. Although no doubt it impressed the churchgoers, clergy, and the government, it had no impact on the reivers except as a source of great amusement.

This great cursing was a step beyond excommunication from the church. Wrongdoers who were excommunicated could, eventually, in certain circumstances, have their punishment revoked. 
Not so the cursing. It could not be rescinded: 
it was a permanent thing.

On the following page is but an extract from this splendid tirade of some 1,500 words. .

I curse thair heid and all the haris of thair heid; 
I curse thair face, thair ene, thair mouth, thair neise, thair toung, thair teith, thair crag (neck), thair shulderis, thair breist, thair hert, thair stomok, thair bak, thair wame, thair armes, thair leggis, thair handis, thair feit, and everilk part of thair body, frae the top of thair heid to the soill of thair feit, befoir and behind, within and without.

I curse thaim gangand (going), and I curse thaim rydand (riding); I curse them standand, and I curse thaim sittand; I curse thaim etand, 
I curse thaim drinkand; I curse them walkand, 
I curse them sleepand; I curse thaim rysand, 
I curse thaim lyand; I curse thaim at hame; 
I curse thaim fra hame;I curse thaim within the house; I curse thaim without the house; I curse thair wiffis, thair barnis, and thair servandis participand with thaim in thair deides.

I wary thair cornys, thair catales, thair woll, thair scheip, thair horse, thair swyne, thair geise (geese), thair hennys, and all thair quyk gude (livestock), I wary rhair hallis, thair chalmeris (rooms), thair kechhingis, thair stannillis, thair barnys, thair biris(byres), thair bernyardis, thair cailyardis (vetatable patch), thair plewis, thair harrowis, and the gudis and housis that is necessair for thair sustentatioun and weilfair.

And finally, I condemn thaim perpetualie to the deip pit of hell, ther remain with Lucifer and all his falllowis, and thair bodeis to the gallowis of the Burrow Mure, first to be hangit, syn revin and ruggit with doggis, swyne and utheris wyld beists, abhominable to all the warld. 

And their candillis gangis frae your sicht, as mot thair saulis gang fra the visage of God, and thair gude  faim fra the warld, quhill thair forbeir thair oppin thair synnys foirsaidis and ryse frae this teribill cursing, and mak satisfaction and pennance.

Gareth
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 20:53
That pic was taken in my backyard, in the Adirondack mountains in New York State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic