Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The FOTW Farmer's Market
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Garlic roasted crickets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garlic roasted crickets
    Posted: 04 February 2013 at 02:58
Sooooooo...some good friends of mine (I think)Confused

Just got back from a Mexican vacation and hooked up with us at the Super Bowl pot luck

Never empty-handed, here is what he brought back for yours truly..

Yep! that right....a nice batch of garlic roasted crickets!

We passed them around at the party to mixed results...very, very garlicky, and a tangyness that I could not quite figure out.

Is cricket crap tangy?ConfusedLOL

That's the first time I've eaten a bug since I was back in survival school in army.

Anyway....I thought they were quite tasty....they would go nice scattered over a green salad.
Maybe replace the anchovies in a Caesar salad with them?
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 04:19
Hoser ... Brave Gent ! I have had fried salted Grillos or Chimi a couple of times in Jalisco where they are big tapa news ... and in a Mexicao healhy Taquilla here in Madrid owned by a well known Jalisco Chef ! They are extraordinairely healthy ... all protein ! and Salma Hayak swears by them for dieters ! they are served to accompany tortilla chips with salsas & guacamole in Mocajete volcanic Aztec stone mortars where one pounds the ingredients for guacamole ... I enjoy with Dos Equis.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 06:05
But a real PITA to filet. Unhappy
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 08:21
The Jalisco name is Chalupas ... Its cultural; and very common in certain provinces or states in Mexico. The taste profile is similar to a red brown peanut covering ...... and they are NOT sliced.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 10:51
Hmmm! I wonder if I could do this with the crickets around my house?
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 14:38
Just exactly how do you filet a cricket? I wanna see pics! I think.
Mark R
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 14:48
With a very small, very sharp filet knife. How else? Approve
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 15:19
Chalupas are not sliced ... They are fried and eaten as if you were eating peanuts ...

As I stated a couple of posts above, they are very common in several Mexican states or provinces and were a large part of the Aztec diet.

Salma Hayek is a fan of the insect, and they contain an enormous amount of protein.

It is cultural and many North Americans and Northern Europeans detest insects; however, in ancient tribes, they were part of the diet.

Margi.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 15:34
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

With a very small, very sharp filet knife. How else? Approve

Brook, is there a particular knife you would recommend for this?
Mark R
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 16:16
All kidding aside, bugs...I'll leave them for everyone else.  Since you seem to like them so well!

Sick
Enjoy The Food!
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 18:41
With this knife (Quoted from the Guiness Book of World Records: 

"The world’s first micro-knife based on carbon nanotube technology has been introduced by researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology at the University of Colorado. With an edge capable of slicing samples only 300 nanometres thick, the knife possesses the smallest and sharpest of all blade types currently used for preparing very thin subject samples. Truly a ‘cutting edge’ technology!"

MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 19:02
Originally posted by Melissa Mead Melissa Mead wrote:

With this knife (Quoted from the Guiness Book of World Records: 

<div id="further_info">

"The world’s first micro-knife based on carbon
nanotube technology has been introduced by researchers at the National
Institute of Standards and Technology at the University of Colorado.
With an edge capable of slicing samples only 300 nanometres thick, the
knife possesses the smallest and sharpest of all blade types currently
used for preparing very thin subject samples. Truly a ‘cutting edge’
technology!"

So, well poop - it might be too sharp and too thin. I dunno, what do ya think Brook?
Mark R
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic