Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > Eastern Canada
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Apple Pie with bacon & cheddar.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apple Pie with bacon & cheddar.
    Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:47
Found this in my local paper;

Tastebuds will definitely perk up with this apple, cheddar and bacon pie.

Apple Pie

1 prepared or favourite homemade pie shell

1 l (4 cups) sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (slices should be 5 mm/1/4 inch thick)

5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

175 ml (3/4 cup) grated aged cheddar cheese

75 ml (1/3 cup) lightly packed brown sugar

5 ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme.

Heat oven to 180 C (350 F). Bake pie shell according to package directions. Reduce oven temperature to 160 C (325 F).

In a large bowl, toss apples with bacon, cheese, brown sugar and thyme. Spread evenly in pie shell. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until apples are tender.

Makes 10 servings.

Nutrition information per 1/10 serving: 180 calories; 5 g protein; 9 g total fat (3.5 g saturated fat); 20 g carbohydrate; 20 mg cholesterol; 1 g fibre; 230 mg sodium.

Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 01:50
That sounds really interesting....how could anything with bacon and cheddar not be outstanding?

Go ahead...play with your food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 08:11
Sounds grea to me, Darko - a nice combination of savory, sweet, and of course smoky bacon!!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:22
Interesting. Not sure how that would taste, but I'm up for trying it. The wife however said, no way! lol. I see the instructions call for thyme, but it's not listed in the ingredients. Approximately how much would you use?
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 11:57
AK1,

Nice to see u on line again ... Hope the New Year has brought all the best of health, fulfillment and success your way ...

Savoury apple pie ... Well, ?

I truly am a traditionalist when it comes to my Mom Eva´s  home made apple pie ... I have to say; we do not use orange waxy cow cheeses or orange rind cow cheeses ... the dye  ...

Enjoy, the concoction;
Margaux.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 21:50
Originally posted by pitrow pitrow wrote:

Interesting. Not sure how that would taste, but I'm up for trying it. The wife however said, no way! lol. I see the instructions call for thyme, but it's not listed in the ingredients. Approximately how much would you use?

Sorry I missed that Mike.

It's 1 tsp.  I updated the original post.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 21:57
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

AK1,

Nice to see u on line again ... Hope the New Year has brought all the best of health, fulfillment and success your way ...

Savoury apple pie ... Well, ?

I truly am a traditionalist when it comes to my Mom Eva´s  home made apple pie ... I have to say; we do not use orange waxy cow cheeses or orange rind cow cheeses ... the dye  ...

Enjoy, the concoction;
Margaux.
Hi Margie, No worries, I too am a traditionalist when it comes to apple pie. 
I don't consider this recipe a replacement for a good apple pie. It's something different to try. As for the cheese, just use a nice aged "undyed" cheddar
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 00:32
Smile Sounds yummy and I am doing it tomorrow. Just the sort of thing to have in the fridge for my working man and boy to tuck into the lunchbox.
Resident Peasant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 08:41
Looking forward to hearing how it turns out. I can see the flavours going very well together ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 21:42
So here it is.
Smells great. I am going to let it get cold and they can have wedges in their lunch boxes tomorrow.

UPDATE: OK...Best laid plans and all that... teenboy arrived home from work, spied it and attacked it with the bread knife Shocked
Verdict ".....its [munch] good [munch munch] so [munch] good, you can [munch] make this again. Its so weird! It gets better [munch munch] weird and good like pizza."

He is right! It is fruity pizza and very yummy.
Resident Peasant
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 02:38
Sounds and looks terriffic...nice job Anne.  This one is going on my to-do list as soon as the temperature gets below 95°
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 06:45
excellent job - and great review!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 06:45
That looks great! Glad you liked it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic