Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fats, Oils, Sauces, Sweets and Condiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Saint Valentine's Day Request from Mrs. Tas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saint Valentine's Day Request from Mrs. Tas
    Posted: 06 February 2013 at 19:38

The problem?

I live here:

No cannoli shells ~ Cry

Perhaps I can order some - or mabe even cannoli forms/molds - on payday (Friday).....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 04:12
Here you go Ron...http://www.fantes.com/cannoli.html

Dang! my teeth hurt just from looking at that.LOL

Cannoli Shell Recipe

4 sifted cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup red wine
1 egg yolk, beaten slightly

Resift flour with sugar and cinnamon in a small heap on bread board.
Make a well in center and pour wine into it. 
Stir from center out to mix.

Knead dough until smooth and stiff, about 15 minutes.
(Kneading and rolling work best on a marble board or a regular board with a stiff cotton cover.)
If dough still seems moist and sticky, knead in more flour.
It must be quite stiff.
If too dry to roll easily, add a few more drops of wine and knead in.

Cover dough with a warm bowl and let stand two hours in a moderately cool place.

Roll out the dough as thin as paper.
Cut into five-inch rounds and wrap each around a metal cannoli tube.
(Cut smaller, about 3", if to be used on the smaller cannoli tubes.)

Wrap dough loosely around form so that about .25" of the form protrudes at each end.
Seal by brushing a little egg yolk (a feather brush works best) on the overlapping edge.

Fry two at a time in deep hot fat for one minute, or until browned on both sides.
Lift out very carefully with a slotted spoon or tongs.
Drain on absorbent paper.

When cool, gently remove from the form and fill with the desired filling.
Refrigerate after filling.
Unfilled shells will keep about 6 weeks, boxed, in a cool dry place.
Filled shells should be served soon after making.

Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 04:58
You gotta love instructions like: "Finely chop one cup of Snickers....." Makes you wonder if the folks who wrote the recipe ever tried doing that.

First off, exactly how does one measure a cup of Snickers bars? More to the point, you are not, repeat not, going to chop them in any normal sense of the word.

One trick, Ron, if you do get to that point. Try freezing, or at least partially freezing, the Snickers before laying knife to it.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 05:26
Tas. San Fran & Manhattan; large cities with Italian Americans. U can make them too. I posted my Nonna's recipe months ago in Italy. Foods made in Italy or Wm Sonoma perhaps ...

Tas. Do u want a classic cannolli or a Snicker fusion aka cannolli ??
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 08:45
These weren't meant to be anything like "true" cannolis, but Mrs. Tas wants them, so I will try to deliver. I found a source for the mini cannoli shells (at an unfortunate, ridiculous price), and will see if I can do this by Valentine's Day, which also happens to be our anniversary. Brook, this freezing makes good sense - will do!

I also plan to order some normal-sized cannoli forms so that I can evenutally make classic, more traditional canollis on my own. Dave, that shell recipe looks great!

We'll see how it goes ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 09:02
Tas,

Thank you for explaining ...

Have lovely wkend, and a very Happy Healthy Anniversary;

Hoser,

If you look at my Nonna´s recipe ( Italia Section ); the classic Sicilian method is with Dry White Sicilian wine, not red ...

I believe you would love my Nonna´s ... She used to make them by the dozens for her Trattoria years ago ... They are my fave Sicilian snack at 11am ... or 17.00 hrs.

See recipe ...

Margaux.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 08:31
Alright, I guess I'll be giving these a try; I ordered the shells today:

And if all goes well they should arrive just in a nick of time ~
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 09:45

Tas,

You could fill these with Nonna Margherite´s Sicilian ricotta stuffing.

One piece of real advice: Chill over night the stuffing or the filling shall be watery and run all over the crisp shells !!! 

THE FILLING MUST BE CHILLED OVERNIGHT FOR COMPACTNESS ...

SEE MARGHERITE´s RECIPE SICILIAN CANNOLIs ...

The amazon shells look good for this usage ...

Kindest.
Margaux.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 09:48
Margi -

For these particular mini shells that I ordered, I will use the recipe in the opening post, since that's what my lovey bride requested. 

BUT, when I ordered the shells, I also ordered four "standard-sized" cannoli forms for making home-made cannoli, and will be trying a couple of different traditional recipes for Italian cannoli as soon as I can!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 12:50
Well, the day is here, and the mini cannoli shells have not arrived, so I go with plan B: strawberry cream puffs:

I will make this treat at a later date, and will provide a pictorial when I do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic