Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > The Caribbean Islands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Pernil Asado en el Estilo Cubano de Vilarchao

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 15:32
It sure looks delicious, Melissa ~ I'd say that you did pretty darn good!

Getting that crispy-wonderful skin can be a quest for sure; that - and those slightly-over-done bits on the outside of the roast - are always my favourite parts.

Your orangeade idea sounds refreshing ~ how much juice/sugar/water did you use?

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 16:03
Very roughly, a cup each of water and orange and a tbsp of sugar.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 01:00
Melissa. Considering it looks very tasty ... Thanks for posting all the photos. The recipe has a Spanish slant, the vinegar. Sour or bitter orange is more Latin American .. Its palate preference. Tas marinaded his Pernil ... Thus it was very tender. Timing is key factor with ur Robot ... Cool Machine ...
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 08:23
I wonder if the cut of meat made a difference? It's still good. My husband even liked it, and he's learned from sad experience to avoid my cooking. :)
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 09:34
Melissa,

You have a good sense of humor !!! The Hubby enjoyed !!! So make note, and repeat recipe ...

I believe the cut, the difference with the Robot verses Oven, the combination of both the cider vinegar and then, the Narajana Agría ( sour orange - Goya Product ) ... from what I can see; next time:

1) Use only the orange product from Goya that you prefer; USING BOTH WHICH HAVE ALOT OF ACID; CAUSED THE DRYNESS OR TOUGHNESS --- I CAN SEE IT IS A BIT DRY ...
2) Like Tas has done; Marinate overnight ( this tenderizes the pork roast )
3) Lower heat a bit on the Robot; better fuego lento = slow low flame or heat
4) This should provide a more tender pork roast and though it shall cook a bit longer, the lower heat selection shall produce a better roast

Hope this assists,
Margaux.  

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:34
I actually did 1 and 2, so maybe #3 was the culprit.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:53
Melissa,

Yes number 3 ...

Roasts should always be prepared slow low flame or heat ... So, that the interior cooks tender, and then, raise the heat a bit just to crisp the rubbed in Evoo or lard top of the roast ...

I believe if you have done number 1 and 2; then, You should of been able to fork the white tender meat without a knife ...

However, your next one should turn out much more tender, fall off bone with crisp top ...

Kind regards.
Margi.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 14:49

We made this again recently, with Jamaician Red Beans and Rice as a side dish:

The only thing that I did different was use Jamaician Red Stripe Beer as a braising liquid, and boy was it good - highly recommended!

I decided long ago that beer really is about the best braising lqiuid one could ask for with this, although of course there are many options available. The beer, however, provides some undertones that I can't even begin to describe, enhancing the pork as well as the herbs and spices in the mojo adabo that is so necessary for the making of pernil. I was again impressed, and will be making this again at the first good excuse to do so.

If you haven't tried this yet, then I truly do recommend it; traditionally, pernil is served at Christmastime, but if you ask me, it's absolutely awesome (sorry, I'm an 80s kid) any time of the year!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 22:43
I made this dish again on December 15th - using Red Stripe as a braising and de-glazing liquid - and it was once again absolutely delicious. We served the pernil with red AND black beans and rice and it was thoroughly enjoyed. My father happened to show up around supper-time as well and was able to try it. He pronounced it quite good, especially liking the crispy bits of crackling skin.

The meal left such an impression - again - that I decided to choose it as the main course for FotW's virtual dinner party for January 2nd, 2014:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/progressive-dinner-for-jan-2_topic3962.html
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2013 at 10:04
Ron,

I am always honored by your love of a dear friend´s récipe ... I have a suggestion:

If you place the rice in 1 mold and the beans in 1 mold; you shall have wonderful dressage of this dish ...

The ingredients won´t be so crowded .. and it will photograph beautifully.

Enjoy,

Margaux.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 11:05
I'm making this today, using a 7.7-pound pork shoulder roast and Red Stripe Jamaican lager. Unfortunately, there was no picnic shoulder roast available, so I ended up with a Boston butt roast that has no skin; but it will be alright, as there is a decent fat cap.

It will be going in the oven in about an hour; I plan to serve it with baked winter squash. It should be good stuff!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 15:10
Ron,

I am surprised that you still make this Cuban Pernil of my deceased friend Maria Vilarchao.

It is nice to hear.  

All my best and enjoy.   

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 15:15
Hi, Margi - 

This recipe is most delicious...the only way I would want to make pernil!

And, it is always warming to be reminded of the story behind it - in honor of Maria, I always follow her recipe as closely as I can. 

My heartfelt thanks to you, for sharing this recipe - and my sincere condolences for the loss of your friend.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 14:42
Making this one again, this coming weekend. It will be a very nice meal to go along with our grey, cold, damp weather that is expected.

I plan to serve it with some sort of squash dish, but which one, I do not know. It might be time to try the "Cauliflower Tots" using zucchini, winter squash or perhaps sweet potatoes, depending on what's on hand....
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 15:56
Ron,

Thank you very much for all your appreciation for my late and dearest friend, Maria Villarchao who prepared the most stunning Cuban Pork Perñil Roast.

By the way her sides and Cuban Traditons were ARROZ CON MORO ..   A White Arborio Valencian FALLERA ( LA TIENDA )  Rice with Black Beans soaked over night ..  and slow cooked for hours on stove ..  

To keep it Cuban, this side is simply splendid with this roast.   And just a simple Green salad with Evoo and  White Vinegar ..

A nice pinot noir or even Cider ( Asturian Sidra -  El Gaitero =  The Bag Pipe Player )  is perfect with this  pork roast ..

HAVE FUN !! 
All my best,

Margaux ..

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 08:43
Thanks for the suggestions, Margi - I'll see what we can find. The Arroz con Moro sounds great, but we probably won't be able to have that. The salad does sound good with this, and I believe that we'll be able to find some decent cider. What I need to do is make some good sidra!

Unfortunately, this meal is being postponed for a week, because I forgot to take the pork shoulder roast out of the freezer, and there wouldn't be time to get the adobo mojado in for three days, which is best. But no worries - it will get made! Even The Beautiful Mrs. Tas is looking forward to it!

In the meantime, I took some locally-grown pork loin out of the freezer, and will see about turning it into another family favourite, Punjena Vešalica, otherwise known as Serbian Grilled Pork Loin. It's worth checking out!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 10:28
 I definitely shall check your Serbian Pork Lion ..

Yes, you need acidy apples for sidra ..  Should be relatively simple ..  

Hope all turns out well .. Just discussing doing roast duckling with grapes, pears, berries, lemon, and a Young duckling ..  It is called PAPERO CON FRUTA = Italian ..

Shall do my best to take a few photos.

This is for 12th October ..

Bank holiday here ...

Keep me posted.

All my best.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 10:33
That duck dish sounds very good, Margi - I'd love to hear about it.

IF you get the chance, please feel free to post the recipe in Italy. If you get a few photos, even better!

We also have a holiday, about the same time in October. I will probably make something, because I will have the day off, but I do not yet know what it will be. Most likely something for cooler weather, and employing pork...which makes me think Hungarian....
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 13:25
Palm  Sunday.

Ron,  Thank you Dear ..

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 08:35
I made this again over the weekend on Palm Sunday, and it turned out as delicious as always. This really is one that should be tried.

It is a unique and special recipe - I did not know it at the time, but found out later that April 9th (the day I prepared it) was the birthday of Maria Caridad Vilarchao - a happy coincidence that made the experience all the more special.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic