Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Artichokes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Artichokes
    Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:35

PHOTO COURTESY: Margaux Cintrano

NAVARRAN ARTICHOKES

There are basically two routes one can take to drive to Logroño, La Rioja; Madrid to Castilla León´s Province of Soria,  going North to the southern province of La Rioja and continuing north; and the Madrid through Zaragoza, Aragón and the Aragonese Tarazona, north east to Olite, Navarra ... and then, going west to Logroño ... Well the Vet drove the Soria Route going and we took the Navarran Route returning ...

Along this route, we stopped in Olite, to have 11am mid morning brunch, would be the best word to describe this meal .... We picked up some green vegetables at the Centre of Olite´s Farmer´s Market ... Here are the stunning artichokes for baking the Italian style, with sautéed garlic, shallot and leek with Iberian Ham and  bread crumbs and Evoo ...

ARTICHOKES ... HOW DO YOU PREPARE ? 

My picks ...

1) baked and stuffed as one would prepare baked clams
2) cream of artichoke soup
3) A Navarran dish, which is most popular now is Artichokes with Shrimp and Clams for Lent

Enjoy and look forward to hearing ur picks,
Margaux  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 09:35
We've enver really had "real" artichokes before as a dish of their own; they just aren't something that is common up here.

Having said that, the Beautiful Mrs. Tas has expressed an interest in trying a few new things, and even mentioned artichokes, so as spring settles in, I will probably be trying a couple of easy, good recipes featuring them - said recipes will probably lean French and/or Italian.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 09:51
Artichokes are just too expensive, 'round heah, to even consider. Last week they were $4.50 each on sale.

That's an awful lot of money for something that 90% of goes into the compost pile.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 10:02
I never thought of that, Brook - I'll have to look at the price of fresh artichokes, as the price will affect our chances of trying them.

I suppose if all else fails, frozen might be an alternative, if available; but I imagine it wouldn't quite be the same.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 10:04
Far as I know, Ron, frozen and canned only includes artichoke hearts---which severely limits the possibilities.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 10:52

Tas and Brook;

Sorry to hear that they are so expensive in the USA ...

The Navarran artichokes are wonderful ...

In Spain, there are bottled artichokes, which can be rinsed thoroughly and marinated in chilled water and a little lemon juice and sautéed with shrimp or clams; very popular dish here, or Spanish ham & garlic minced ... Very tasty ... Can even toss on bed of Pasta or one can prepare a risotto aroborio Italiano or chicken picata with them ...

I believe they are exported from Navarra ...

Kind regards, Margi.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 22:46
I like them nice and simple. Boiled or steamed until tender. Then pull the leaves off one by one and dipped in a wonderful olive oil or light dressing, Then just scrape the meat off the base of the leaves with ones teeth, and enjoy the flavour. Simple yet wonderful.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 01:52
Ak1. True. Great idea .. Stemed & drzzled with Evoo; a drizzle of lemon and fine grain sea salt ... I enjoy immensely. Thanks for input & feedback. Margi.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:30
I got that from my lovely wife. That's how her family did it. Prior to that I was only familiar with the pickled/marinated artichoke hearts that you buy in the supermarket already in jars.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 12:53
Thanks Ak1   They are extraordinaire healthy.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 13:05
That's secondarySmile. They are damn tasty. I can always buy small ones. Usually about once a month I'll go to the store and they have the nice big ones available for about 2 dollars a piece. That's when it's artichoke time.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 13:30
Ak1. I am very fond of artickes & green and wjite asparagus grilled; evoo & sea salt ... Sounds great. I am sure you shall have in March. Thanks ... Shall steam up for lunch ...
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2013 at 15:49
I found a stunning recipe for Chicken Tagine with artichoke hearts and sweet fresh peas in the pod; by French Chef Joel Rubuchon ... it is a Moroccan stew low in fat, and has lovely spring aromas.

I am going to post the recipe ... in Moroccan, North Africa Section ...

Kind regards,
Margi.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic